What's new

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 6, 1975 (1 Viewer)

Aaron Handy III

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Handy III
A whole new Funshine Saturday was dawning on ABC Television.

Previous-season's hit Hong Kong Phooey and new arrival Speed Buggy (from CBS) were back for a whole new season of repeats.

Jim Nabors and Ruth Buzzi played 2 time-travelling futuristic androids who land on present-day Earth and inexplicably invite a young boy and his babysitter to check out the interior of The Lost Saucer.

Ink-and-paint renditions of Gilligan, The Skipper, and the rest of The Shipwrecked 7 returned for a second season of new animated hijinks on The New Adventures Of Gilligan.

Match Game 75 regular Charles Nelson Reilly donned a crocodile outfit and made sport of kiddie TV fare in the delightful, short-lived romp, Uncle Croc's Block.

A fastidious feline and a messy mutt put Neil Simon's award winning play (and adjoining 1968 movie and hitherto canceled ABC primetime sitcom editions) to shame as The Oddball Couple.

And a legendary cat-and-mouse duo would put to rest a 35-year feud (if only temporarily!) and join forces with a 40-foot purple ape and his beagle buddy to forge what would be Hanna-Barbera Productions, Incorporated's only new entry for the 1975-1976 fall season: The New Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show.

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron, nicely done. What was the source for your info?

The new Saturday morning cartoons were the only consolation for the startup of the new school year. ABC always seemed to have the best lineup, plus, if I'm not mistaken, they also had Schoolhouse Rock.

Does anyone remember when they would preview the new shows on the Friday night before the Saturday premieres?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I remember as a kid getting all excited every September for the new cartoon shows on Saturday mornings. When I was 8. I kept the tv guide next to my bed the night before premiers to know when to watch. (pre-dvr and on-screen tv guide). I also remember the show they would air in primetime to introduce the new Saturday morning shows.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

exactly.
i'm 44 now and when i was a kid in the 70's there was nothing i looked
forward to more then the beginning of the new cartoon shows on saturday morning.

I thought that friday night preview was on especially for me.
good memories.

the first description of the beagle on the grape ape show was that he was
"a fast talking beagle" i had no idea what that menat so i just figured he spoke very quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks