What's new

Saturday Night Live Season36 (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I thought this was one of the most-solid episodes of SNL in years. Every skit made me laugh, including the Black-eyed Peas skit with Keenan, and I tend to hate Keenan. The french skit was terribly-hilarious if you watch crappy french TV (we get a fair bit of it here). Disney Channel Acting School was spot-on and well-lampooned. Baby spanx was awesome (was this a fresh commercial or a repeat?), and the CD/cream sketch was so surreal it was funny.

I'm not a fan of Miley, but I think they used her the correct amount--including in the cold open, which is rare for a host--and in the correct types of sketches.

Also, The Strokes were great.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The Baby Spanx was a repeat according to my wife, but I never recalled seeing it before which is odd since she only occasionally watches the show. The Rockabilly CD and cream sketch and the cruise ship sketch are those latter third sketches that are hit or miss, but they were hits for me.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Great episode!! Miley was great and I until last night I could not be described as a fan. Babyspanx was a rerun but still awesome. Best cold opening in a long time, maybe ever.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Was it me, or did the Strokes have their sound basically hosed on Saturday night? Guitars were up front and in-your-face, but the vocals were buried deep.

I liked Miley as a host.** Actually liked most of the show, actually. Particularly the skit about the other two guys in the Black Eyed Peas having their own show.

That said, "The Sound of Music" sketch was beyond awful. Cyrus did alright, especially in the cruise-ship singer bit near the end, but it felt to me that too much of the show was ordered toward rehabilitating her public image (which, as they pointed out, isn't exactly needful of rehabilitation). We get it, you're TOTALLY FINE with Bayer's impression of you.

Sudeikis's Devil on "Weekend Update" was Best of Show. "You just got DAMNED!!" Plus, he hates gays because they improve at-risk neighborhoods.

** looking for a second, now that I have to kill myself...must be able to handle a sword, and not fuck up the neck-slice.

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jennifer Colbert
The show last night with Zach Galifianakis was a complete waste of time!!! I really don't see why he's hosted twice--he's just not funny to me. And SNL needs to hire some new people.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
As always, opinions vary.

If asked, I would tell you that I'm not really a fan of Zach, yet, last night, I laughed all the way through his opening Little Orphan Annie skit.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's been along time since I've been captivated by a musical performance on SNL, but Jessie J brought down the house with her last number, that was pretty exciting to watch.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry Gale

As always, opinions vary.

If asked, I would tell you that I'm not really a fan of Zach, yet, last night, I laughed all the way through his opening Little Orphan Annie skit.
On the NBC SNL page, they stopped Zach's opening monologue before the Little Orphan Annie bit. I was quite surprised to see it when I was zooming through watching my DVR version at lunch just now.

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jennifer Colbert
Elton John was agood host, although nothing stands out in my mind right now. By the way, doesn't Andy Samberg do the WORST Bono impression you ever heard?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Bad Bono, but great Nic Cage. I had to turn around to make sure it wasn't actually him. Also, was John the host or Tom Hanks? ;)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The KY Jelly sponsored ESPN2 skit had to have set the record for most cameos (Forte, Hanks, and Anthony) without the actual host involved. It's also the first skit after the cold open that didn't feature the host since I don't know when. Can anyone think of the last time this happened?

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure John was such a good host. It seemed to me that perhaps they figured they actually couldn't use him in too many skits so they brought in many cameos. I did enjoy the episode over all and in the few skits John was ok since he was basically playing himself.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee

I'm not sure John was such a good host. It seemed to me that perhaps they figured they actually couldn't use him in too many skits so they brought in many cameos. I did enjoy the episode over all and in the few skits John was ok since he was basically playing himself.

Actually, Sir Elton was only missing from two segments - the ESPN Classic sketch, and Weekend Update. He was in everything else, including (obviously) the two musical segments. Seems to me he got more screen time than most hosts do. I'll agree that they brought in a LOT of cameos, perhaps as insurance, but in the end I think EJ did a fine job.

Having Will Forte and Tom Hanks on board was a nice surprise - sometimes I forget how funny Hanks is. His Michael Caine was a scream.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

The KY Jelly sponsored ESPN2 skit had to have set the record for most cameos (Forte, Hanks, and Anthony) without the actual host involved. It's also the first skit after the cold open that didn't feature the host since I don't know when. Can anyone think of the last time this happened?

I can't remember when, but the host also rarely appears in the cold open sketch whereas this one was very centered around EJ. He had to get out of the wig and costume and into his monologue clothes before the opening credits were over. Maybe they figured he would need a break after that, and they could not go to the digital short since they probably wanted Hanks to establish his presence on the show before showing up in the "Laser Cats" bit.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The monologue struck me as kind of snotty but it was otherwise a decent show. The Spider-Man crack at Bono was funny.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I love the "Queen Elizabeth" sketches, mostly because I can imagine the Queen and her husband really acting like that when out of the public eye.

Quite surprised that Elton allowed the joke about his rewritten version of "Candle in the Wind." I would have thought that was off limits. It was kind of funny, though.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I missed that -- what was the joke? (I'm in the "original blows away the remake" camp on that track.)

There was an interesting documentary on VH1 the other night about the '90s era of the show. No idea what it was called, but they interviewed practically every living person who was involved at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks