What's new

Saturday Night Live Season36 (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The Miley bit is a pretty funny impression (it's a bit of a caricature), but it looks like they're going to turn it into a weekly 10-minute timekiller and it's likely to get old fast.

I agree with Matt -- some of the sketches were very funny and others were just lame. That's been about as much as we can expect from this show for. . .oh, about 20 years now. :) The best recurring gag lately has been the Julian Assange impressions, but they can only milk that one so far too.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was just glad to see that Jeff Bridges was game for anything they cooked up for him, even if the material wasn't all that great.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Jim Carrey brought some good energy and it was good for a solid hour, but it sort of petered out in the last couple of skits.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yes. I will admit, I kept waiting, hoping (has Carrey done SNL before?) that they'd get a release and somewhere, somehow, Fire Marshall Bill would pop up.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
SNL was delayed due to the NFL overrun and then local news in the DC area. Was that the case elsewhere in the East/Central zones or did stations shorten their news and show it live in other places? I wouldn't think the live show actually was delayed.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I don't know if it was shown live, but it was delayed in Ohio as well.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
NBC finally has the whole show up at

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/jan-8-jim-carrey/1268838/

and I just saw the clock right before Jim Carrey's monologue. it is about 11:51 at that point, so it appears that the live performance was actually delayed.

Thanks.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
From San Antonio signal, started 15 minutes or so late, would like to have seen the Black Keys second number, but of course my DVR shut off before then.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Henry Gale

From San Antonio signal, started 15 minutes or so late, would like to have seen the Black Keys second number, but of course my DVR shut off before then.
I don't know if the "full show" on the NBC site has the musical numbers or not, but they did have clips on Sunday of each of the Black keys' numbers.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Even considering that some of the later sketches were on the weak side, overall that was one of the best episodes in years. I don't remember the last time I laughed so much at SNL. :)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I think it's become clear now that they're just doing a show, versus putting on a show. Hoping for laughs, when they should be doing whatever it takes to get them. I dunno, maybe improv is frowned upon, but you would think they'd prefer a show go off the rails every once in a while, rather than limp to the finish every week.

This has been said a million times already, but they desperately need a new head writer. Seth Meyers is clearly 100% content with the level of quality the show is putting out right now.

I will admit that I laughed my ass off at the freaky carnival ride. Was anybody else absolutely creeped out by how well they pantomimed the animatronics? Carrey's Alan Thicke stunned me. "Depressingly-Authentic New York Rock Band" was pretty great, too.

And Jim Carrey in the Black Swan makeup was genuinely terrifying.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by mattCR

Yes. I will admit, I kept waiting, hoping (has Carrey done SNL before?) that they'd get a release and somewhere, somehow, Fire Marshall Bill would pop up.

Ride the S-S-S-S-SNAKE

That was back in 1996.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by joshEH

I remember the best part of that sketch was watching first-season-rookie Will Ferrell utterly blow his screaming, methed-out dialogue live on camera, yet still pulling it out in the end.

As I recall, there was a cheerleader skit with Ferrell and Oteri and a drawn out sketch with Carrey as a lifeguard at a hot tub or something like that, but Fat Busters was the sketch that really stuck with me.

The Black Swan sketch this week was just Jim Carrey being manic and weird, but even after two Ace Venturas, it's still very funny. And the last frame with Carrey in the Black Swan makeup (as capped above) made me laugh out loud.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Cee-Lo Green's red-headed bassist needs to sit in with every band that plays SNL.

A competent show, one of the season's best. The energy level was still there. I laughed a good bit, and the Pee-Wee digital sketch killed me. Only outright bomb: the "Fresh Prince" sketch. Jay Pharoah needs to be given something to do besides impressions. I want to know how good he can be. This isn't MadTV.

Should also add that Meyers' "Constitution Corner" piece was excellent. "Shakespearean Sneak Previews" was a decent idea (silence your falcons!) but the execution was way off.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was cool that Minaj wore her FrankenBrideHo wig in her second song performance.

Overall, I thought Jesse Eisenberg brought some good energy to the material, along with the Zuckerberg appearance, and the overall episode actually flew by for me, so I thought it was one of the better episodes this year.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
We must have been watching two different shows then, because I felt that was one of the worst overall episodes of SNL I have ever seen. Simply awful.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Count me in as one who liked it, I thought it was pretty good.

I didn't realize Minaj had such a stacked body.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
After searching on Twitter, and finding hundreds of people remarking about it, glad to see I wasn't the only one who noticed there was a braying hyena in the audience Saturday night, whose distracting cackle and over-emphatic clapping was making the show hard to watch, and was throwing off whole sketches.

Can't BELIEVE Lorne Michaels didn't have her kicked out of the auditorium. (The Twitter-hypothesis is that it was an over-effusive Nicki Minaj fan -- the damn laugh was louder than the actual sketch in that "Creep" dance-short.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks