What's new

Saturday Night Live Season 37 (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I didn't see the whole episode, but every part I did see was awful (the phony game show was mildly amusing). Helga Lately was insultingly bad.
At least Tom Brady can say he beat Eli at the SNL hosting game. :D

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jennifer Colbert
Last night I missed some of the show after Weekend Update had Liam Neeson .Was anything funny? I'm glad the last one is next week--even Mick Jagger can't save this one.:(

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jennifer Colbert
Mick Jagger was okay, Jon Hamm was funny--he's always a highlight when he's on. The musical guests were very different --I've never seen so many!

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by xfile94 /t/315061/saturday-night-live-season-37/120#post_3927583
Mick Jagger was okay, Jon Hamm was funny--he's always a highlight when he's on. The musical guests were very different --I've never seen so many!
If you have Netflix go watch the first ever season of SNL - it was more a music show than anything else. The comedy was almost an afterthought - the "Not Ready For Prime Time Players" were just a featured act it seemed...

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Music rights issues. Happens all the time.
How is this still a problem?
I can certainly understand the problem for older material (and it's a shame that so much stuff from past seasons of SNL will likely never see the light of day on Hulu/Netflix etc because of this) But why are there still so many failures to clear music past television broadcast in this day and age? The methods of television viewership have changed in the last decade, and even more radically within the last couple of years. Television has become a lot like movies. First run is the initial television broadcast but will then spend most of the rest of its life on home video or streaming. Seems like when it comes to movies, songs are licensed for an indefinite amount of time and the agreements cover home video. I'd like to think if I were running things in TV land, when it came time for me to license a song, the agreement would specifically say "all current and future home viewing formats" If the artist/publisher did not agree, then I'd tell them to take a walk.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I caught parts of the Sofia Vergara episode via on-demand. Most of the skits I saw were definitely in the upper echelons of this season's material. "Almost Pizza" was almost genius (as was Sofia's wardrobe person). :)
The Jagger episode was OK. The musical performances were the highlight.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
WillG said:
Music rights issues. Happens all the time.
How is this still a problem?
It just doesn't make sense. Maybe they just don't take the time to get everything.
This week the only sketch I noticed that wasn't on the streaming "full episode" version was the "So You think You Can dance At An Outdoor Music Festival" sketch. All the others were included. That sketch had just some small bits of music in it.
By the way, when watching it this morning I completely did not recognize Steve Martin in The Californians. I just couldn't place who it was there at the end of that sketch.
It was nice that a bunch of past SNL actors joined in at the end.

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jennifer Colbert
I didn't recognize Steve Martin either! I thought it was just me. :confused:

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Andy Samberg is officially leaving SNL.

http://theclicker.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/01/12014472-andy-samberg-is-leaving-saturday-night-live?lite

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks