What's new

Sanyo PLV-70. Pulled the BIG TRIGGER!! (1 Viewer)

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
I am thinking of getting the Z1. You said screendoor wasn't an issue...how big was the screen and what distance were you sitting at when you saw the Z1?
Hi again, Max. I said screen door wasn't a problem for us. I did not see it at all on our first viewing at a fellow forum'ers place. He simply had it on a white wall with the Z1 on a coffee table in front of the sofa we were sitting on. We were about 12' back from an approx 100" diag image.

When we brought his Z1 over to our place and viewed it on a 106" diag DaLite High Contrast Matte White screen with as sharp a focus as we could get, I could see it easily if I moved to about 8' from the screen. At a 12' viewing distance, could not see it, but it resolved (desolved?:) ) into a not-unpleasant "texturing" on solid surfaces. Actually added to the 3-d look of them. No one else in my family noticed it and I'm not sure I would have if I had not been looking for it per comments posted at AVS. I'm sure a touch of defocus would have removed most of that as so many others have posted. Did not try it.

Good Luck!!

Gordon

I think that is one of the advantages that DLP has over LCD - less screendoor. I also believe that the Sony HS10 or the Sanyo PLV-70 with a higher pixel count should have less apparant screendoor too.

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Hey Mike,

Parker is right. I am now a True Believer in the Rocket line. Incredible good looks. Rock solid build quality. Stunning HT sound. Reasonable cost. I don't think you could touch speakers that sound as good for 2X or more times their cost. All these factors taken together make them what I believe to be the best value out there!

I've been listening to my RS750 mains on two-channel from a sony discman (through a Haffler power amp) for a couple days now and I have never heard better sound. Hope I get my 7.1 receiver soon!!

Gordon

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Thanks again Gordon. Hmm, I should be able to get away with an 84" 16:9 screen, at a seating distance of 8 feet, with a Z1 then. Well, I'm pretty sure I would need to do a bit of a defocus, but that's ok!

The PLV-70 is 3 times the price of the Z1 here, so I figure I might as well get something that will tide me over until the next big thing comes around (like 3 chip DLPs, or even the new DLP SCR wheels that may show up next year, or even Sony's SXRD in 2 years).

I just packed up my NEC HT1000...it's like ending a relationship with a beautiful woman. Sad, but had to be done. :frowning:

Anyhow, this hobby is damn expensive. I can now see why people go into politics, do sports, or become firemen! :D

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
I just packed up my NEC HT1000...it's like ending a relationship with a beautiful woman. Sad, but had to be done.
Bummer, Max!

I've heard the HT1000 is an excellent projector, with lots of brightness and great PQ. I thought it's price was up with the PLV-70? Anyway, I am very interested to hear how you like the Z1 after your experience with the HT1000. Now that would make an interesting comparison! Please let us know! If you start a new thread, send us a note to this one so I don't miss it.

Thanks!
Gordon

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
The HT1000 is actually cheaper than the PLV-70, by about $1000 Canadian, or about $600 US! It is only half as bright as the PLV-70 though.

The scaling in the HT1000 is extremely good. It is very close to my Geforce4-based HTPC. Not sure how the PLV-70 or PLV-Z1 stacks up though. I will probably have to do more tweaking.

The HT1000, out of the box, is nearly perfect. Never had to touch the color controls! A big plus when compared to the color uniformity and grayscale problems with LCD projectors. An HT1000 is boring if you're a tweaker.

Oops, I better save my findings in a new thread. :)

It will probably be several weeks before I will receive a Z1 though. I've gotten excellent support so far from my dealer, although I am sure he is baffled that I would return the HT1000!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hey Mike, I found out that the blurriness was partly a result of the processor that was used with the Runco DR300C. On my Panasonic RP1, all the Avia test patterns are clear and perfect. No shimmering, no moire.

But even better: I must have accidently changed a keystone/cornerstone setting. When I reset the HT1000 to factory defaults, the image was very clear! Uh, as long as I don't move my eyes!

The NEC DLP projectors don't show as much apparent pixellation as the Sharp DLPs I saw though. The Sharps are...sharper! :D However, the HT1000 has a very smooth film-like image, which I like very much.

So, I guess I will be defocusing the Z1 if I ever get my hands on it.

You have the Panasonic AE100 right, Michael? Does defocusing help with the screendoor?

Oh yeah, there is one weakness with the color on the HT1000. I think the gamma is a bit on the low side, probably about the same as an Apple Macintosh color monitor (gamma 1.8ish). Nobody would normally notice anyhow. I also suspect a slight yellowish tint on some material, although romantic comedies look natural. Could be my wall.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

So many little things that can affect the image if you are not careful. :frowning:

Defocusing will remove the so called screendoor effect, but at 12 feet away and watching 92" of picture real estate, I do not really notice the pixel structure at all so I do not defocus.

At 110" ... yes, very apparent ... but reserved for gaming only.

Remember to paint your wall gray ...

Regards

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hmmmm...interesting development. The dealer told me that a batch of HT1000s had problems that caused the "effect" I was experiencing. I assume he meant the rainbows. I will try an exchange for another, and if the rainbows still bother me I will go ahead with the Z1. Assuming I can still get the refund and Z1 exchange.

Ugh. I hope he isn't stalling.

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
The dealer told me that a batch of HT1000s had problems that caused the "effect" I was experiencing. I assume he meant the rainbows
Sounds fishy to me, Max! But what do I know?:) I'm sure he's trying to salvage a big ticket sale. I would too in his shoes ;)

I'd still love a comparison between the HT1000 and a Z1. They are such different animals (DLP vs LCD, different price league, brighness, contrast specs, etc.) that it would be a fascinating camparison!

Good luck!
Gordon

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I decided to stick with the Z1. To heck with DLP. :)

I figure there is a 90% chance the HT1000 would go back anyways. Why bother wasting my time and the dealer's new HT1000 in the process?

It seems that LCD has hit the point of diminishing returns. A lower-end LCD pj won't be much different than the highest end one, except for resolution. Lower-end DLP still has room for a lot of improvements (where's the

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Did you get your light cannon yet? I hope you got a good pair of sunglasses kicking around, Gordon.
Hey Max,

I hope I can adjust the light output of that thing!

Can't wait to hear what you think of the Z1! If their throw length would have fit my fixed screen distance, I would have gone with either that or the Panasonic L300U.
Unfortuneatly (:D ), I "had" to go with the PLV 70 instead.

Yes! It arrived Wednesday!! I took it out of the box, looked at it, checked the Cheif mounting plate to make sure it fits and put it back.

Finishing up my two patchbays, rear speaker mounts, touch-up paiting, and shelf unit now.....

Not a big problem, as my receiver did not get here yet anyway :frowning:

Silent movies anyone??:)

Coming down the home stretch. Will post when I actually get something running. If the reciever does not get here today, should have it all happening early next week.

Gordon

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
So, got your PLV-70 hooked up yet? Might as well check for flaws that you can agonize over while you wait for the rest of your stuff. :D

I'm betting that screendoor will be more of an issue than I thought. Well, it's better than rainbows I guess.

The funny thing, after using my NEC LT240 for 50 hours and the returned HT1000 for 20, is that I can see "rainbows" on my CRT-based RPTV! I see them around bright objects in an image, although instead of seeing a red, green, and (little) blue streaks spaced apart, I see a yellowish afterimage where the object burned into my retina. It's especially noticeable when the camera pans quickly. However, it doesn't bother me at all, because I don't see colors separating. It reminds me of phosphor "ghosts" on my Samsung 19" monitor (I can see mouse trails on the phosphor coatings that last a quarter of a second! The balrog's eyes in FOTR leave white streaks across the screen...what a silly design), but not nearly as bad.

I did notice this effect on my RPTV before I got a DLP projector, but I always assumed it was only on cable TV sources. They barely registered in my mind. Now I see them if I want too. Crazy huh? :)

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Max,
I hope you're happy with the Z1 too. I know I was impressed, but that is probably embarrassingly easy. :) I've heard the Panny L300U is a little better with the screendoor issue, but both are marvelous for DVD viewing. Compared to a HT1000, though, boy I don't know!

Sounds like you're developing a case of "Videophile-itus" Uh-oh. Hope it's not catching. :D
I don't have the resources for continual upgrades. That's why I'm shooting the wad now for what I think (hope, pray) is the end-all, be-all for our HT.

So, got your PLV-70 hooked up yet? Might as well check for flaws that you can agonize over while you wait for the rest of your stuff
Nope! I'm going for the GRAND SLAM . Hehehehe Finishing up everything else first and mounting the PLV-70 last. All my components are here. Finishing the wiring/installations now. My first POWER UP will be the ENTIRE system on full force with a DVD spinning in the player. New receiver. 3 power amps (gotta figure out how to bridge the big one for the sub). New DVD player. New PJ. 7 speakers freshly wired. SVS Ultra sub. None of this has even seen power yet except for the front mains (Rocket 750's) that I'm playing with a discman right now for a little break-in time.

Seems foolish, but I've got a strong sense of the dramatic. Hehehehe. What do you think the odds are that I have everything hooked up right? :b Just hope I don't see sparks or smell smoke!

A couple more evenings yet and I should be able to "throw the switch"!

Gordon
Gots time to reply since I'm at "work" :)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Gordon:

So what receiver and amps did you end up with?

So when do you think you will be able to get the whole thing up and running by?

Parker

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
So what receiver and amps did you end up with?
Hi Parker!
I got a Denon 3803. I'm just now reading the manuals and am WAY impressed with the flexibility of setup for different modes and all the processing capability it sports. The remote is very cool too. It's a universal remote that has presets for all common A/V gear plus a learn mode if you have a piece that is not on the large preset list. So... I'll be able to control the whole shebang with just that one remote the way it looks! It also has two buttons for dedicated macros that will string up to 10 commands together for one button push!! I figured I'd have to buy one of those aftermarket jobs to accomplish this. Very cool. Keep in mind, though that I have not even put the batteries into it yet. Just reading.

Power amps? For my mains and center, I have a pair of Hafflers. One is 140W/Channel bridgeable and the other is an older (kit built) 100 w/channel that I don't know if it's bridgeable. I really want to use the 140W/ch on my mains and bridge the 100w/ch for the center. Don't know if it's doable yet. I DO know that the Rocket RS750's sound wonderful pushed by the 140W/ch Haffler. The tightest/cleanest bass I've EVER heard! That amp has reserve power to spare. After switching it off, the 750's continue to play for a few seconds.:)

I forget the mfg and model of the amp I intend to use for my SVS Ultra sub, but it's 600 watt(total), bridgeable. It's one HEAVY sucker, has it's own cooling fan, etc. Just for fun a while back, I hooked it up to a pair of humble Monitor 1's nearfield recording studio monitors and they sounded better than my fancy-pants Roland DS-90's!! Better, crisper bass. Very clean-sounding. I am a BIG fan of way over-amping speakers. I am convinced that is the secret to "fast bass" (I know, stooopid descriptor). You won't blow anything up unless you blow out your ears first. For those cautious folks out there, a tweeter fuse wouldn't hurt either. ;)

I just happened to have these laying around, otherwise I'd probably be fine with the Denon 3803 by itself. The sound of the 750's being pushed by the Haffler is incredible though, so I am curious to see how they sound through the Denon. It's on the list of things I want to check out sometime AFTER I get it all up and working and I've tired of DVD viewing. Probably anther couple evenings of work before I can throw the switch on it all.

Gordon

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Just so y'all don't think I've been sitting on my hands lately, I've updated my progress here with some new photos. Basically, all my install work is done! The last thing I did tonight was mount the PLV-70. All that's left to do is hook everything up and push GO! Hopefully tomorrow night we can see our first movie on the big screen and hear 7.1 Rockets blast off! Wheee!

Gordon

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Get off your hands Gordon and finish your room! :D

You do realize that you'll need to spend tonight tweaking everything, right? :)

Users who are viewing this thread