What's new

Sanford & Son:Season 4 on March 30 (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I'll be happy to have Sanford and Son Season 4, in March and hopefully I will see the fifth and final? season before the end of the year.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I'm still waiting for word on "The Jeffersons" as well. I can't get enough of the first 2 seasons. As I said in a post months ago, the first time I had ever seen this show was when I bought the first season. So all forthcoming seasons are new to me.

As for AITF, they don't even sell those sets here in Canada, at least to the best of my knowledge.....so I'm not too concerned about it.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
SANFORD AND SON's not my thing - I'm still waiting for ALL IN THE FAMILY (Season 3 and BEYOND). Come on, already....

ChadP2k

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking forward to this one, I've caught up by buying all 3 seasons released so far and thanks to the recent ice storm have finished watching seasons 1 & 2 now :)

For a show originally videotaped as opposed to being shot on film these DVDs are well done.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Really, Chad? I think the quality is pretty cruddy-- you can tell this would look better if they hadn't tried to cram a gazillion episodes per disc.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
All in the Family isn't selling well, which explains why the 3rd season is delayed. They have products that are selling better (S&S) so they're releasing those ones first.

Gord

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Gord, thanks for the info, while I'm one hand I'm saddened that its taking so long, I am still greatful to know that they'll get around to it and haven't abandoned the show entirely.

I'm glad that S&S MWC and King of Queens are coming quicker.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
I'm surprised that AITF DVDs are selling as well as they are, considering that the dumbos at Columbia House aren't even commercialing the release. Pamphlets in DVDs aren't enough to let people know that AITF DVDs are hitting the shelves of stores nationwide. Any layman understands that.

Secondly, they're not selling AITF DVDs in Canada. It's Region 1 people. The selling of AITF DVDs would multiply, I'm sure, if they began selling them in Canada.

Where I live, our Wal-Mart Supercenter does not sell AITF DVDs. Wal-Mart is a widely recognized store. Columbia House is committing a suicide with these DVDs because they're being sold at lesser known stores, treating it like a lesser known show.

M*A*S*H is being released on DVD and it's already into it's fifth season on DVD. Both shows came out in the same year, only to be recognized in their second season when they were pitted agaisnt each other on Sunday night. That's when recognition kicked in.

FOX became wise when the fourth season of M*A*S*H came out. They decided to commecialize it. Now only if Columbia House would do that for AITF. I'm willing to write a strongly-worded letter to the CEO of Columbia House, only if the fans of the show would participate in the letter.

The Jeffersons DVDs came out fairly quick. Still no commercializing. Then it was S&S. Now Barney Miller is coming out. I'm wondering if Columbia House is releasing tv shows by producer. They've been releasing Norman Lear shows recently and I'm beginning to wonder.

Ideas, thoughts, responses.... etc.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well, I do remember seeing commercials for M*A*S*H before season 4 came out, but not much before that, I might have seen them for season 3, but I don't recall back further than that. Plus, its columbia Tristar not Columbia House, and they've got a lot of releases on the market. I admire what they've done in a lot of ways, its not just that they've released shows like AITF, the Jeffersons, Sanford and Son, Good Times, What's Happening, Married with Children, Larry Sanders, Mad About You, King of Queens, The Critic, Dilbert, Barney Miller, and I'm sure more that I don't remember and more others on the way. But, its more than that, for the most part they've been pricing these things pretty cheap which I'm thankful for, although even as fairly recent numbers were presented, they were charging more for AITF Season 1 than AITF Season 2, even though the first only had 13 episodes.
They've also began to include extras on some of these sets, which for me extras on TV season sets are really not as important given the number of episodes I'd get. The CTS sets aren't the best TV releases, I generally get more excited for a Fox release, but they're still doing more for TV On DVD than certain other studios.

Also, and this is a minor point but I'm pretty sure that M*A*S*H and AITF both aired on CBS. Which going OT for a moment I believe that at 1 time they were on the same night with MTM that has to be the biggest sitcom heavyweight lineup ever. I didn't know AITF wasn't being sold in Canada...anyone else want to confirm this?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Chris:L, like Casey said it's Columbia TriStar that releases these.

Casey, it's true that AitF isn't available in Canada. It's a bit odd, but Columbia doesn't own the Canadian distribution rights for a number of their shows (off the top of my head - AitF, Forever Knight....I know there are some others as well).

Gord

Supporting Actor
Okay... Columbia Tristar. I think you guys just missed the whole entire point of my post. Thank you very much.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

The point of your post was that Columbia doesn't do a good job of marketing some of the TV shows they've released to the market, and for the most part I agree with you. But like I said, they've been better lately.

Supporting Actor

Explain to me how they have been better with marketing? I don't see tvshows of theirs being advertised through television commercials.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Chris, each company approaches marketing differently than the others, and some approach it on a per-title basis. The Columbia TriStar releases are fairly cheap and probably don't allow them a big marketing budget.

Warner Bros markets their sets in TV and print, as does Fox, but Columbia TriStar is more interested in releasing bare-bones titles with a low price-point. I expect we'll see some ads for "Party of Five" when it's released later this year.

You concern with Walmart not carrying the title should be taken up with Walmart. I guess the buyer for the chain decided to pass on the title for whatever reason.

Gord

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.