What's new

Samsung? (1 Viewer)

Chris Svensson

Auditioning
I'm almost a complete noob here and this is my first post after having lurked for several months. I finally got up the courage to register and ask a question (ok, a few questions) of the fine folks here regarding some purchases I'm considering making relatively soon.

I'm about to relocate to San Diego but after I do, and I'm settled, I've had my eye on the new Samsung HLN617W (the 61" DLP RPTV). The pricetag would basically make it the single most expensive piece of electronics I've ever bought and I'd like to hear an opinion or two from someone who owns one before I commit. It just seems quite new and slightly unproven at this point and I'm a little scared to be a guinea pig.

After doing so, I'll surely upgrade to a new DVD player (possibly that new Samsung with the DVI inputs that upconverts to 1080i? anyone have any experience with it?) new receiver (leaning toward a mid-level Marantz?) that has at least two and hopefully four component input switches.

I tend to watch a lot of DVDs however I'm also in the videogame industry and as such, I tend to play quite a few videogames. Obviously my Xbox would permanently occupy one of the component inputs and I'd probably connect my PS2 as well for the few products that support 480p on it and those that are coming.

I bought the HD dish for DirectTV when I moved into my current house last year in anticipation of eventually getting an HDTV. Obviously, I'd need to get an HD tuner for it with the purchase to get use out of it.

On another note, I'm a Tivo fanatic and I'm still confused as to how/why/when we're going to see Tivo devices that have component outputs and proper digital signals? I think I saw a Pany DVD+R unit with a 120GB hd and Tivo service somewhere. I'd presume that has component outs? Does anyone Does it output a 480p signal for the Tivo functionalities? Anyone have any good experiences with it?

Apologies for this as my questions go beyond just displays in this forum. The TV part of my question is by far the most important at the moment as it's the most expensive component and the purchase I will probably make first.

Agustin

Agent
Man i saw one model like that yesterday, is so big and the image is simply the best you can have for RP, even DLP dont have a big trouble with burn in so if you have the money buy it

JohnnyCorona

Agent
I always had good luck with Samsung. I don't know anything about the models you are lookin at, sorry... but I do have the 42" Samsung RPTV and no problems at all so far. They are very reliable, based on my TV and many people I know who own Samsung Products.

Just go for it! They have extended warranties if your worried.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I've had my eye on the Samsung DLP's for a few weeks and the reviews keep getting better and better.

I've not seen the 61", but the 50" looks fantastic. The Fry's in San Diego cannot keep them in stock.

The Samsung is nice because it actually has 3 component inputs: 1 for 480p, and 2 that accept only 720 and 1080. You should also know that TimeWarner offers HDTV over the cable system in San Diego, and that you can even put up an antenna and get 4-10 HD stations.

Here is a site dedicated to HDTV in San Diego that you may find interesting: www.hdtv.forsandieog.com

John Geelan

Screenwriter
The Sammy line of DLP TV's are the hot ticket in TV land these days.

The line is getting raves in the Video Press (Perfect Vision magazine/ Home Theater Magazine) and it has many fans over at the AVS Forum.

I'm in the market for the HLN507 their 50" model.

I think you'll really like the 61" if you love to play Video Games and DVD's especially thru DVI.

Don Petsche

Agent
I've got the 50" (5065, same as 507, regardless what anyone might tell you or you may read into missing logos) and I can honestly say this set is the best and most money I've spent on a single piece of in home electronics. I agree, hot is the right description. I think word is finally getting out to the masses, and demand is increasing. I was lucky to get mine before the stores sold out. Proof is in satisfaction, and I will say the longer I have this set, the happier I am with it. I'm going to list some of the cons, just to make sure I'm not written off as a one sided supporter. Do know, however, that the cons for me are definitely not a reason to pass trying out this T.V. in your home. The only barrier to purchase, in my opinion, may be the aforementioned pricetag.

Beware of that first week or two you've got it home, when if you are like me, you'll nitpick every imperfection. At thousands of dollars, one always wants to be sure. No T.V. is perfect, and you can dwell on this line of sets' shortcomings as you can on any other. Buy from a retailer with a good return policy,(30 day no questions asked, maybe even finance no payments or interest through the trial period?), because there are a few known drawbacks to DLP that make it a bad option for a small percentage of the population. At $3K or more, don't take the chance however small that you are in the minority and rainbows, dithering, artifacts, clay faces, etc., are overwhelming to the point of complete dissatisfaction. Some report a sort of "motion sickness" from watching at first. Give it at least 2 weeks though, most of my initial complaints with the set vanished by day 21.

I went through the normal period of buyer's remorse and have emerged a very happy viewer. There is no other big screen T.V. that makes any sense, as far as I'm concerned. This line of DLPs has the magic mix of features at a price that continues to beat other sets of lesser features and picture quality. Many predict the extinction of CRTs in the upcoming years, and having spent the money on my DLP I wouldn't think of spending even half as much on a CRT. In fact, I choose a slightly smaller screen at 50" to stay in budget. . .I wanted the other benefits of this technology that badly.

The only drawback I can think of on the components is no set of inputs 480i as well as 720p. From what I understand this isn't a big deal, just a bit of an annoyance to some Xbox users. My gamecube connects fine, and looks good even with svid. Bob, correct me if I'm wrong, but all Samsung DLPs are identical, correct? That being the case, only 1 jack is 480i. All 3 sets of component jacks do 480p (2 sets 480p/720p/1080i), only the single 480i/480p jack uses the Faroudja. Given this, a component switcher may not be necessary right away if 480p is your primary output.

Regarding DVD, I will eventually upgrade mine to DVI as well, but this set makes an old interlaced player look mighty good with its DCDi "film" mode. My progressive player spends its time dumbed down to non-progressive mode because the monitor is that good at scaling input. . .it has a better 3:2 pull down chip than my player. That makes component one the input of choice for DVD at 480i, but if you have a component player that already has a great pulldown, you can hook it up progressive to the 480p/720p/1080i jacks. DVI is its own jack, only drawback, there is only 1 of them. You do get a VGA jack though, which makes hooking up the home computer to surf from the couch a snap. The picture is big and beautiful an all inputs.

That's not to say bad OTA or compressed satellite/cable SD feeds aren't going to be noticeable. . they are once you've seen how good this monitor can be HD & DVD. I bought a good power strip and the cheap analog coax cable booster (yes the one you get at radio shack) and most SD stations now look better than good on this set.

There is an "unofficial guide" to HLNs posted over on avs forum in the rear proj display threads. I found it a must read for anyone who is thinking of, or who just has, purchased a new Samsung DLP.

Don Petsche

Agent
Lamp life on Samsung DLPs is rated by mfg at 6000 hours for 61" (120watt bulb), and 8000 hours all others (100watt bulb). My reseach has indicated that some may have experienced failures sooner. You can find the number of hours on your lamp in the SM.

Samsung covers the bulb through the warranty period (1 year). Some extended warranties claim to cover it as well, but no one knows for sure.

I am in the same situation - I finally picked the 61" over the 56" (although its in the ultra-high end Tantus line, according to Samsung - not available until August). Now just wrestling with all of the other components to support it, and hoping to swing a nice total deal for one of two local vendors.

Availability
via Sound Advice - Immediately
via Circuit City - 2-3 weeks

Big question that I've run into that nobody seems to know about: how do you switch more than one DVI feed?

For example, the Sammy 61" has a single DVI input. The Sammy HDTV Satellite Receiver has a single DVI output. The new Sammy DVD player(s) have a single DVI output. Which receiver/other device can and should be used to connect all three?

Rick Anderson

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Samsung HD DVD 931, the DVI-output DVD player that upconverts that you spoke of. I like it a lot---the picture quality is noticably better than normal DVD. I did have to get an upgrade disc for the 1080i setting to work, but since I installed the upgrade it has worked perfectly.

Chris Svensson

Auditioning
I've been thinking about that DVI switching issue too Bruce. I don't suppose anyone knows of any HD DirecTv receivers with DVI passthrough (there's only 3 on the market currently, right? Samsung and the Sony/Zenith models that are identical?)? Anyone have any thoughts on that?

RobertSing

Agent
Everything I read says there is no box with DVI switching capabilities available.

As far as HD DirectTV boxes, there is also the Hughes E86 model. Not sure if that has DVI out (I think so). None of the boxes have DVI passthrough AFAIK.

Myki Cantero

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Chris,

I bought my HLN507 3 weeks ago and I'm very happy with my purchase. Just like Don said, it is not a perfect TV but for me, it is close to it. The things that made me choose this TV are:

1) Form factor. It's very light, 70+ lbs only, and only 17+" depth.

2) Wide viewing angle. I can still watch the TV from my dining room which is adjacent to my living room. This is impossible with a regular RPTV.

3) I will never fear ruining my set with screen burn-in. This is more important for console games since there are racing games with a static white speedometer on screen that can burn-in your set.

4) Screen is not affected by magnetic fields so I have my speakers directly beside the TV with no problems.

5) Great picture quality especially with DVD. I'm very happy with my DVD quality now but I am saving up for a DVD player with DVI outputs since a lot of people swear of improved quality at 720p. If you don't have such a player yet, just use 480i and not 480p (progressive) since it's better that way to most people.

6) PC input is great. I've never thought it would be useful but I'm so amazed at the things you could do with the VGA connector and a computer. Browse with friends, play games, do presentations with a business partner, etc.

Some great web articles on this:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1119951,00.asp

http://www.hometheatermag.com/showarchives.cgi?160

http://twentysix.net/HLM507W/

http://aolsvc.soundandvision.aol.com...aid,221,00.asp

http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/?articleID=3659

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks