What's new

Samsung Ultrablack LCD (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
If anyone cares, my set was returned to Amazon today. Still no fix from Samsung for the HDMI issues (which for me, anyway, with my Denon 2910 and a couple of Macs were very bad). I also had a "flashlighting" problem.

Over at AVS some users are reporting that having their motherboards replaced (up to revision 1005) fixed their HDMI issues, but that hasn't been confirmed yet.

I would definitely recommend holding off on one of these until it is known for sure that the problems are fixed.

As for me, even if they are fixed, I doubt I'll try the same model again. My current plan is to wait for 120Hz 1080P LCDs to come out, and even then to try to avoid being an early adopter :)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Have you looked at the Mitsubishi 46131? Though its black levels don't sound as good it seems to have a lot going for it, namely the ability to display its native 1920x1080 resolution via DVI.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Yes, finally a set that doesn't have a freaking VGA port and has DVI instead! What are all those other manufacturers thinking with their VGA "PC" ports?? That people who buy expensive 1080P sets will feed them with ancient, el cheapo analog PCs?
Plus the Mitsubishi has Firewire as well. Clearly someone over there has heard of HTPCs.

That said, there is a size problem -- I was pretty much set on 40" (and being a city resident I have definite size limits), and the Mits only come in 37" or 46".

Also, what is the difference between this one and their "Diamond" series??

Still I am thinking of waiting for 120Hz sets, though I am having a sinking realization, that they may not be able to sync with a 120Hz video card (PC) over HDMI/DVI, but will merely display 60Hz output at 120Hz. Note: I haven't actually read this, just assuming the worst, since the 120Hz Toshibas that are due soon, are still sporting that analog "PC" input, I am guessing that nobody over there even thought that HTPCs are capable of outputting 120Hz over DVI... And what I REALLY need is the ability to sync my Mac at 100Hz, as that would make PAL DVDs look much better. Probably only with 2008 model, for sale in Europe only sets :frowning:

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Sorry the Sammy didn't work out for you, Ted. I still have my 4061F and intend to keep it -- haven't had any issues with connections or flashing and such with my present usage. (Though my Oppo 981 on Video 2 mode goes to snow for a split second when changing functions -- like from stop to play. Don't know if that's an Oppo issue, but I changed it to Video 1 again.) BTW, I'm EPlay at AVS and had answered you about the PAL issue.

Frankly, I had bought my set before the flood of issues began to appear at AVS regarding this line. I think that would have surely scared me off buying one. . .

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Hey Elizabeth, I'm very glad that your devices are working properly over HDMI! I wish I was in your boat.

Don't get me wrong, these Samsungs have a pretty amazing picture. When I put Casablanca on my upscaling Denon my jaw practically broke from hitting the floor -- the picture was that good. Of course half way through the movie I had a several second video dropout, and did with all other DVDs I watched as well :frowning:

I was more impressed with B&W than color material -- the colors never seemed as good as the ones on either my 100Hz Sony CRT or 20" Apple Cinema Display. Possibly I would have been much happier with the Samsung's colors if I had spent more time adjusting them -- all I did was put it in "Movie" mode, reduce the brightness and increase the contrast, and switch from Warm2 (heavy red push) to normal or whatever it was called.

P.S. Thanks for letting me know about the PAL post -- I had missed it in that endless AVS thread. I actually did get my Denon to work properly in PAL as well, but the results while correct (AR, etc.) were BAD. The Apple DVD Player (on my Mac Mini) did a much better job, but still neither was in the same league as a natively PAL TV (which my Sony tube is). I am trying not to go backwards in picture quality...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks