What's new

Samsung Ultrablack LCD (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I went by Visions the other day with a buddy of mine, and, even though I'm not looking right now, I wanted to point out this new gorgeous line of TVs.

It caught my eye from across the store, and, although quite expensive, was easily the best monitor in there, even better than the Sony Bravia line nearby.

If you're looking right now, please do take a moment to consider this line at www.samsung.com

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Paul:

I couldn't agree with you more. When I was at Best Buy and Circuit City none of the other Plasma or LCD TVs came close to these sets. Amazon as a great price on the 52 inch model.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Jason:

I think they have reflective screens. What impressed me the most was the black level. With the black border and the increased contrast of the LCD the images just pop off the monitor. Best Buy has these sets surrounded by other plasma and LCD units and the difference between them amazing.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I didn't notice the screens being reflective at all. The guy stopped and replayed the movie while I was there so I could see the black level before the WB logo, but I didn't notice any reflection at all.

As Parker mentioned, blacks are VERY black, colors jump out at you, contrast ratios are increased substantially. The 52" that I saw was beside a similar Sharp, which they said was best in the store before this Samsung arrived, but the Samsung was so much better than the Sharp.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Are these being branded as "Ultrablack"? I'm not seeing that term on Samsung's website. What are the other TVs in this line?

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor
If these look so much better than the XBR3s, why are they so much less expensive. This price makes me want to go out and get one today. I would love to see what price the have on a 60" screen

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I bought the 4061F one week ago. (Not sure if that's the line you mean, as I don't see which sets are referred to as "ultrablack".) This is a brand new model which came out a month ago. Finally upgraded my 27" CRT. :) I'm still "tweaking" my settings, but I think it's a keeper for me. As expected, it really makes my analog SD TV viewing a bit harder on my eyes than the CRT, but I really wanted the upgrade for my DVD viewing.

The new Samsungs have two types of screens -- one line has the standard matte screen, and the other has a glossy screen. While some people think the glossy screen helps make the colors "pop", I think the reflective surface may be distracting with room lights, windows, etc. When I purchased my matte screen 4061F, I didn't see the glossy screen line out at the store. However, I've seen owner photos on AVS Forum, and I can literally tell you what the photographer was wearing and what kind of couch he has. ;)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the T4061F has a matted screen, the T4065/6F have glossy screens, as well as better contrast ratio: 10,000:1 (T4061F) vs. 15,000:1 (T4061F)

As I just posted in a different thread (d'oh -- my search was lousy), I am super tempted by the T4065F. I'm not sure about the glossy screen, but the higher contrast make it VERY hard to resist. I was considering the XBR2, but now the Samnsung is number one with a bullet.

Advice welcome!

Ted

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
"number one with a bullet."

......a loaded god complex, cock it and pull it?

(sorry, the gf loves that stuff)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I don't want anyone to see what color my couch is, or what I do on my couch.

Thomas - go to samsung.com. it's featured on the main page, next to a printer and the blackjack. with the blue power light (I think it's a power light) across the bottom.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Ted, I'd been researching LCD TVs for almost 2 years before I finally made my purchase of the 4061F. (My first choice was the Sony 40V2500 until I learned of the pervasive clouding issue.) There is a going-on 5,000 post thread (now on Part 2) on AVS Forums with owners of the new Samsung line.

While the 4065F boasts a better contrast ratio than the 4061F, there seems to be another difference in that the 4665 has a 10 bit processor and the 4661 a 16 bit processor. (I would presume the same follows for the 40" size in their respective line numbers.) I personally don't know what that technicality would mean, but just FYI. I'm presuming in this case higher is better?

I think you have to see the glossy screen to see for yourself how you like it. It doesn't bother a lot of people, but I was quite sure I wouldn't like the reflections (even though I have not yet been able to see it in person).

One issue which keeps coming up in the thread is some HDMI handshaking issues with PS3s. As I don't have a PS3, it's not of concern to me. However, I do have an upconverting Oppo on its way to me so I can make sure the HDMI ports are working properly. I only need the slightest justification to buy a new toy. :)

Next, I'm looking to replace the speaker foam on my speakers. :) Kind of looks like fun.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I took my brother into a BB the other day and just walked into the TV area and when we walked by the new Samsung models he was floored. I didn't even point them out to him the displays just look that much better. I am still trying to figure out a way to pick one up for myself.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Apparently someone from Samsung said that the two models have identical internal processing.

As for the handshaking issue, apparently a whole bunch of HDMI devices besides the PS3 are affected (cable boxes mostly). Anyway, reading the AVS threads is depressing -- people complain about the slightest thing -- it makes you want to run away from even the most perfect device. Better to stop reading.

My 4065 is on its way -- VERY SLOWLY. Amazon uses Eagle USA, which so far has spent 5 (five!!!!!!) days transporting the package from Harrisburg, PA to Philadelphia. At this rate, I should have it by June :rolleyes

When I do get it, if I haven't died of old age by then, I'll make sure that are no HDMI issues with the connection from my Mac Mini.

Ted

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Ted:

I have read from Samsung that the 65F series has 10 bit processing and 15,000::1 dynamic contrast ratio where the 61F series has 16 bit processing and 10,000::1 dynamic contrast.

I will be interested in hearing if you can go from DVI to HDMI on your set. I have an HTPC with DVI out and really would like to get the 5265F but if there is going to be an issue with using DVI to HDMI I guess I will have to look elsewhere.

Parker

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Hi Parker,

The contrast ratio difference is real, but apparently the 10 vs. 16 bit processing is marketing talk referring to two different things, and in fact the processing is identical. (Of course this is all in the "I heard it on the Internet so it must be true" category).

As for DVI to HDMI problems, using it with my Mac Mini HTPC is the ONLY reason I'm getting this TV, so it'd better work... I haven't seen any reports from Mini owners, so I guess I'm the guinea pig here. One person with an iMac said they had no problems, but that's a different video card. I will report.

Ted

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

I belatedly found this out as well. . .

Anyway, Ted, how exciting! Dell used Eagle to get my computer to me, and being across the ocean, you can imagine that took some time! :rolleyes

Let us know when you get the TV and how it is! I wasn't able to see a 4065 prior to getting the 4061 but maybe I'll see it displayed somewhere one of these days. I personally was pretty sure I wouldn't like the glossy screen, though, but lots of people love that model!

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK

I saw one of the 5265F's in the store this past week and was stunned by the remarkable picture. Then I walked around the corner and I saw the Aquos 52D92U which I thought was even more spectacular. That led me to wonder why I see little love for the Aquos line in this forum. What's the problem with them?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've had it for about a week now, and I suffer heavily from the blue/pink color-flash issue that also plagues PS3 HDMI connections (I am feeding it from a MacMini DVI to HDMI).

Bottom line: DO NOT BUY THIS SET -- unless either Samsung fixes the HDMI issues or you know for sure that your particular input devices are compatible and users are not experiencing problems.

I am still deciding whether to send it back or hope for a future firmware fix from Samsung. Advice welcome.

Thanks,
Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks