What's new

Samsung TXM3096WHF TV compatible with 1080p DVD player? (1 Viewer)

ventura

Auditioning
Real Name
mark weiss
I am considering replacing a Sony DVPNS700P DVD player (480p) with a Sony DVPNS710H/B which is advertised as "upscaling DVDs to 1080p near HD resolution via an HDMI connection." The manual of my Samsung TV refers to connecting the TV to a 480i/480p DVD player and also connecting the TV to a 480p/1080i digital TV set-top box. Will there be any visible improvement if I replace my DVD player with the Sony DVPNS710H/B model? For the record, I am not interested in replacing the TV. Thanks.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Hello Mark, welcome to the forum!

It doesn't really make sense to upgrade the output of your DVD player to a higher image resolution, if the TV set cannot display that. However, even on a 480 fps TV the picture will be better already, because of the visible improvement of the horizontal resolution.

So, the most important questions are: what is the (max) physical image resolution of your TV set (how many pixels on the screen), and does it have an HDMI connector?

If the TV you're not willing to replace (yet) cannot display HD images, and if your current DVD-player really has to be replaced, a more logical choice would be a Blu-ray player. The image would be as good at least as that of an upgrading DVD player (it up-scales DVD images as well!), you can start enjoying and/or collecting blu-ray discs if you want, and you're set for a future upgrade of your display.

If your TV set can display HD images, that solution makes even more sense, and with the prices of BD-players coming down as much as they do currently, you may find it an interesting option to consider. Up-scaling DVD-players are now simply one notch below a BD-player, technically speaking.

Apart from the (important) ability to play Blu-ray discs, the whole consideration of adding an up-scaling DVD-player to your setup is technically the same as that of adding a BD-player.

Hope this helps.

Cees

ventura

Auditioning
Real Name
mark weiss
Thanks, Cees. Regarding image resolution: 1080i (HDTV) · 480p (EDTV) · 480i (SDTV) I don't believe the set has an HDMI connector. Mark

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Mark,

To the best of my knowledge, your TV has a DVI input. Because it has no HDMI connector, it cannot receive the HD signal of a player like the DVPNS710H/B.

Because of the age of the TV set, it's not highly probable (although not impossible) that the DVI-input supports HDCP, which is the DRM support needed by modern HDMI devices to allow them to output HD picture signals. If the TV-set would support HDCP on its DVI, you could use a HDMI -> DVI cable or an identical converting connector to display the "HD ready" images on that TV set.

But you really need to either find out for sure about the HDCP support and/or try a conversion cable/connector like that first. Unfortunately, I cannot help you in this respect, because I simply do not know it myself.

Cees

ventura

Auditioning
Real Name
mark weiss
Thanks for all your help, Cees. It's been an education. Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks