What's new

Samsung SIRTS160 (1 Viewer)

Alan Gordon

Auditioning
Hi,

I was just looking at this on the Circuit City website, and got a little confused with a note they had on it, what are they trying to say with this:

"This unit receives and decodes over-the-air HD broadcasts only, and requires an HD-compatible antenna and digital TV."

Decodes over-the-air HD broadcasts only"?! What does this mean?!

~Alan

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That means it only has an ATSC tuner in it and it will only decode digital signals received either over the air with an antenna or through cable which is very unlikely. Other HD receivers like the Hughes E-86 have an ATSC tuner, an NTSC tuner for analog TV and a satellite tuner for both standard def and high def sat signals.

-Robert

Alan Gordon

Auditioning
Thanks! That one sentence confused me because everything else I read seemed to invalidate that sentence. In fact, if you were to go to Samsung's website and that receiver, it will say this:

"Access to programming form multiple sources - DIRECTV, Digital off air(ATSC), analog off-air and cable(NTSC)"

Granted, there is a typo there, but they should know their own products better than Circuit City....I guess....

Thanks!
~Alan

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps I am confused too, but to my knowledge, the 160 does everything; DirecTV HD and SD, OTA Digital HD and SD, and OTA NTSC. It also will do digital cable, but uses a standard that no cable system employs.

The 165 is OTA only w/firewire and DVI outputs, and the 151 is OTA only with standard analog (component, S Vid, Composite) outputs.

I own the 151, and considered the 160 before purchase.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks