What's new

Samsung PN59D6500 and my home theater project (1 Viewer)

lvicious

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lance G
Hello:

I am in the midst of finishing up my home theater.. alas I do not have a basement here in my new Texas home but the back bedroom is sufficient. Aside from a few more SVS speakers to go with the sub and center I bought from them last year and my Onkyo receiver, Oppo player.. I need a new TV.

I want a 3D, Plasma and I have read and read about the Panny's and the great blacks and re-read all the plasma vs lcd threads. For various reasons I am looking at the Samsung PN59D6500, 6500-Series 59-inch Class 1080p 3D Plasma. But I am also looking at a 65" from Panny. VT series I think it was but I just wanted some feedback on this Samsung at this time please.

I know this is not the latest model but I wanted any feedback from anyone who has opinions on this set. This would be my first 3D Plasma. After this I just need some good track lighting, seating and sound treatments. I will have the new set calibrated after the required hours of usage. I also cannot go beyond a 65" because of the room width/length after doing the appropriate calculations.

I've already installed my Ethernet ports, cat6 cables, bought new mounts from monoprice among other things and no need for a rack.. the closet in the room will suffice with proper cooling already installed. Just need a new universal remote, hang up a few movie posters/frames and do something like Parker mentioned here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/298677/my-theater-is-finally-coming-together-tell-me-what-you-think#post_3671150

ps.. I have never seen a 3D movie aside from the old days with the red/blue shades lol. I can't wait. Yes.. I have not been to a new 3D movie yet. I just realized.. my Oppo 83 won't play 3D... damn.

Well any feedback on the Samsung will be appreciated. I also thought about a projector but at this time until I expand the back room into the back patio I won't be doing that. I searched the site for this set but did not find any information.

Thank you,

Vicious

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Samsung makes some very nice panels. I think I saw a b friday special of $1200 for the 59" size. The VT30s are also very nice, however a fair bit more expensive. Good luck!!

lvicious

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lance G
My focus turned to the Samsung PN59D8000 and the Panny Viera TC P60ST30. I replied to a Amazon deal thread Kevin Collins made here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/315988/amazon-48-hour-sale-in-hdtvs-video#post_3873091

regarding these two sets. I keep going back and forth trying to make a decision and I'm not sure if I should focus on the issues I reported in Kevin's thread so seriously or not. Some glaring issues though I thought including the green glob issue with the Panny's I've read elsewhere.

I don't think it matters which is the newest model out.. they fix issues with older models eventually and the new ones have their own or nothing gets fixed until the next model is released. Would like to see more updates like a Microsoft update type system with continual fixes. I don't know if they ever do recalls on TV's but some things you have no choice but to send them back in I guess. Not everything is fixable via online.

Well time to just man up and make a decision and move on to the rest of the room.. wiring mainly.

lvicious

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lance G
Received my new TV today along with the 3D glasses and a player that came as a package deal. Thank you for any feedback I received in various threads over the Thanksgiving / Black Friday craziness and sorry for any Jack Daniels influenced posts where I got off topic. Mass family in town and you tend to make the drinks a little stronger as the nights go. Now I just need to read up again on the hours needed for this type of TV from the start before I can start watching movies and gaming. I'll have to find one of those threads somewhere unless someone wants to chime in... then it's off to the mass wiring, sound treatments and so forth.

Reminds me I need to still order a proper mount for this set. Guess I'll pay a visit to monoprice again. Some pics below of the glasses, 3D player and TV still in box and no the TV is not going above the fireplace lol. Oh and I need to get it calibrated.

Plasma/3D 59" D8000

3D Samsung player that came with TV as a package

Interested in how these perform vs Passive:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks