What's new

Samsung LNT5265F or Panasonic TH50PZ700U? (1 Viewer)

Alpha Biker

Auditioning
Real Name
Eddie
I will very shortly be purchasing either a 52" Samsung LCD model LNT5265F or 50" Panasonic plasma model TH50PZ700U to replace my 55" rear projection Mitsubishi. I'm not too happy about downsizing but it's time to get rid of that big box taking up so much space and I want full 1080p resolution and HDMI connections. Anyway I plan to mount the TV on the wall with the bottom of the screen about 48" from the floor. The viewing area is between 10 to 14 feet with a sofa with reclining seats and a couple of reclining chairs. Can someone give me feed back of which of the 2 mentioned sets is the better choice for my viewing situation and which you believe is the better TV performance wise? Thanks.

Eddie

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
While both sets are good performers, my preference would be for the Panasonic. Neither set will produce anything near their rated contrast ratios in the real world. The Samsung will have higher light output, so it could probably keep up better with lots of ambient light. However, the Panasonic's image can be made to be utterly gorgeous! I just did a 700u this morning, and it looks stunning, with plenty of pop in a light controlled room. Although I have found movie mode is the best mode to calibrate to, it usually has an excess of green in it's grayscale, which can make it look dingy before calibration.
The Samsung is a good performer compared to other LCD sets. It can also be made to look good, but I generally don't get the same "wow" factor from them.

Gaurang

Grip
Between the two, the Panasonic is better. But do look at the newer Panasonic model 50PZ750u. And it's 58" big brother 58PZ750u which is Awesome!

Now, if you are a 1080p/24 fan and would like that processing, I would take a look at the 52" LCD from Sony: 52xbr4 which does an excellent job at it with 120hz processing. And it doesn't have the glassy reflective surface that both the Panasonic and the Samsung 5265F has.

Alpha Biker

Auditioning
Real Name
Eddie

Thank you very much Chad. I initially purchased the Samsung from CC but changed my mind the next morning and canceled the order before it was delivered. I then went to buy the Panasonic TH50PZ700U but the CC in my area didn't have them in stock and I was told that it could be weeks before they could get one. So I settled for the Panasonic TH50PZ77U because they had them in stock and they were much cheaper. They had both Panasonics on display side by side and I felt the 700U had a slightly better picture but at 600.00 more. I had buyers remorse before the TV was delivered so I canceled that deal and found the 700U at a small regional department store that had them in stock and 200.00 cheaper than CC. Anyway with the help of my Son-in-law I bought the 700U home last night and I am happy that I finally got the TV I really wanted even if I spent more than I wanted to.

Eddie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks