What's new

Samsung LN52A850 Question (1 Viewer)

Glassjoe

Grip
Real Name
John
Hello everyone. I just purchased this TV last night and got a great deal on it from Best Buy ($2299). One of the features that drove me to this TV was the 120hz refresh. I do not know a ton about this technology and how/when it is applied, but after going through all the menus, I still cannot find the answer to a question about 120hz refresh.

When I turn on my TV and it selects the HDMI input, in an info window in the top left of the screen it shows the screen resolution @ 60hx instead of 120hz. Somewhere in one of the menus there is a place to turn 120hz refresh to low-med-high and I have high selected. However, I am not sure if the screen is actually refreshing at 120hz all the time. Does anyone know anything about how this is supposed to work? I was under the assumption the TV refreshed at 120hz full time. Is this not the case?

Here is my setup:

Samsung LN52A850 1080p 120hz HDTV
Motorola DCH6416 HD DVR (HDMI 1)
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray (HDMI 2)
Xbox 360 Elite (HDMI 3)
Harmon Kardon AVR230 Receiver

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer

That display is telling you what the incoming framerate is, not what the tv is actually doing. Note that it also displays the incoming resolution (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p) not the set's native 1080p.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
samsung would like you to use it all the time. However when you do use it the image will un naturally smooth..kind of like looking at cartoon and not a film based medium.

Adam_R

Second Unit
I have the LN52A650 and I leave that AMP stuff off. It just interpolates frames and it adds motion artifacts. Not good stoff IMHO.

JoePapa

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Duller
I am thinking of mounting the LN52A850 recessed into an 11 inch deep Bookcase (not yet built). I realize the stand will not fit (12.4 inches deep), so I could use a wall mount bracket. My question is how much clearance should I leave on the sides and top/bottom to provide enough cooling? Do you think I need an external cooling fan? For example will an opening of 52”x 33” work?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks