What's new

Samsung HLN617W vs Sony 61" LCD? (1 Viewer)

Elias

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone,

Due to an unexpected prize, I have recently acquired the means to purchase a TV around $5000-6000. I am seriously considering purchasing a Samsung HLN617W 61" DLP TV, mostly because I love the brightness of the image as well as the small TV size. I am curious as to your opinions as to whether I should consider the Sony 61" LCD over the Samsung 61" DLP. I understand both run around the same price. Does anyone have any experience with these TV's? Should I not be buying either of them?

Many thanks in advance for your input on this major purchase decision.

Elias Aliprandis

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Elias:

The Samsung HLN617W has been #1 on HDTV my wish list for some time now. I'm simply not ready to spend th $$$ right now. Regardless, I think it's an excellent decision. I've seen this set in action (in-store @ Tweeter) & it's VERY impressive ... blows away the plasma sets.

The one issue you may want to consider is bulb life. Be aware that ALL DLP projectors use rather expensive bulbs (say ~$300.00) that typically must be replaced with every 1500-2000 hours of use ... so you're looking at $0.15 - $0.20 per hour running cost.

If this were my primary TV in the house, I would say it would be on 3-4 hours per day & approx 6 days per week. This works out to approx 1000 hrs per year ... so I would be looking at bulb replacement every 2 years.

I just purchased a DLP front proj., but will only use it for a few movies per week ... so bulb life is a non-issue.

Scott

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The Samsung is also high on my list. Some things to note:

The Samsung has 1 dedicated component input for 480 sources (like your DVD player) and 2 HD component inputs for anything other than 480i.

The Samsung has the Farajuda chip for up-conversion, but this only works on 480i input (Cable TV box, VCR, -standard video).

The Samsung converts everything to 720p to fit the HD2 DLP chip. I believe all DLP's must do this so it should not be a big deal.

MarkDesMarais

Stunt Coordinator
The new Samsung DLP RPTV bulbs are rated at 8000 hrs, and current replacement costs are about $260. The 61 does use the bigger (120W?) bulb, so it might be a little more.

I have a 507, and I love it.

Markd

Robert Wainwright

Stunt Coordinator
Geez, I was coming in to ask everyone about the 50" of each.
We currently have a 8 year old Pioneer 60" "Wide-screen" RPTV. I was looking at the DLP and the LCD mostly to bring the actual physical depth down a bit. Here at the new house, it really, really sticks out.

Any other pros or cons? I am really curious about the Sony.

P.S. No found money here, just three years of badgering the spouse. She's finally relented.
:D

Thanks in advance.

Elias

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you everyone for the info. I finally decided on the Samsung HLN617W. I bought it from Tweeter along with the Triple 20 and Synergy 40 furniture units from Salamander Designs. I think this promises to be an excellent purchase.

Elias

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks