What's new

Samsung HDTV making clicking sound - huh? (1 Viewer)

Ralph Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Well, today I woke up to the sound of my Samsung 30" DynaFlat HDTV monitor (model TSL3099WHF) making a clicking noise. The TV worked fine up until last night, and now all it will do is make clicking sounds when it's plugged in. The TV will no longer turn on. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? It's very strange that the TV would develop this problem overnight. Thanks!

BobDel

Auditioning
Hi Ralph,
I have the same Samsung TV,and the same thing happend to it this morning,have you found out what went wrong?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, please update the membership, Ralph. Quite a few members are interested in this display. My bet is that your unit has suffered an untimely power-supply failure. I suspect that many of these lower-cost HD-capable direct-view monitors possess skimpy power supplies, which helps keep costs down.

BobDel

Auditioning
The repair men came today,and said it was the power supply,they took the set to the shop,the estimated cost of repair $250 .The set is 19 months old,I called Samsung and they said sorry about that,If there is any change in the outcome I will post again.
Bob

Ralph Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad to see people were interested in my plight. When no one replied for the first week, I figured my post would just scroll off the board.

I ended up taking the set back to where I purchased it, Costco. I found out Costco will issue a full refund if, for any reason, a customer is not satisfied. I put the money from the Samsung 30" toward a Samsung 43" DLP, which I'm enjoying now. I really lucked out by buying the set from Costco. I hope too many people don't abuse their return policy and force them to change it.

BobDel, I hope you don't have too much trouble getting yours fixed. I think it was probably a problem with the power supply in mine, as well. I'd had my set for almost the same amount of time as you when the problem started.

BobDel

Auditioning
I just got a call from the TV repair shop,the bill for fixing the Samsung is $400 + tax,It was the power supply and video board.

thirstykoala

Auditioning
Real Name
TK
Bob,

Did you ever get the parts? My Samsung is making the clicking noise longer and longer before turning on...

(Sorry, I can't PM until I've posted 3x)

Crowell

Auditioning
Real Name
Victor
Ok, for all of those that also hear a clicking noise but have a Samsung DLP and have landed here, I’m going to explain where that sound is coming from. First of all Samsung tvs that use a single lamp inside of the tv are considered DLP tvs. With that in mind, if you try to turn on your TV and you hear a constant clicking like its trying to turn on again and again. The most probable cause is the ballast. The ballast is a small circuit board the size of the palm of your hand that regulates voltage to the lamp. Normally when the tv suddenly turns off and you hear a loud popping sound, it’s the lamp that imploded and it will need replacing, how ever there is a very high probability that it also has taken out the ballast as well. For all those people who don’t know where to buy a ballast, remember that this a tv part, you cant get this at wall mart. Try looking for it online. If you want to save money but test your luck with a good or bad product, look in ebay, if you want to spend a little more but have a reliable product look for websites dedicated on selling tv parts. (Personal recommendation: Discount-Merchant.com ), also search by part number NOT by model number, the reason is that two exact TVs with same model number but different assembly date (one is newer that the other) have different generation parts inside and my not be compatible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks