What's new

Samsung DLP, any reasons not to buy? (1 Viewer)

Doug_E_P

Grip
After weighing the pros and cons out there, it seems as though the samsung DLP's make good sense. Long life, no burn in, good picture, "reasonable price" light, easy to move etc. I'm looking for reasons not to buy, or for those who have made the purchase, any regrets or is it all good?

Thanks, it's much appreciated.

Myki Cantero

Stunt Coordinator
I did my research on this for a month and I will be getting my HLN507 tomorrow. I don't think I will be able to sleep tonight.

I have seen so many RPTVs and DLP is really my choice. I'm not rich but I decided to splurge on this TV bec. I'm sure I'll be regretting my decision if I went with a lesser TV.

My decision to get the DLP was based on:
1) picture quality
2) view from a wider angle (important since I want to be able to see the picture from my dining room as well)
3) light (80+ lbs?), easy to move around
4) slim so it makes my living room "roomier"
5) gorgeous and hi-tech looking
6) no burn-in (Note: With other RPTVs, I know the chances of me getting a burn-in are slim, but I just want to have peace of mind. I don't want to always be wary when I am playing my Xbox, or pausing a DVD, etc.)
7) I can connect my laptop! This is useful since I can use it when I invite my business partners for a meeting/presentation at my house. And also to play Half-Life 2 when it comes out.
8) Beautiful stand
9) I can place my speakers near it and be confident that it won't affect the image
10) DVI connector. I plan to get a DVI-type DVD player in a few months to get the most of my DVD collection.

Doug_E_P

Grip
Thanks.

Yeah, I was going to wait on the new Sony LCD 42 that is coming. However I talked with the local high-end store yesterday. While the guy I work with owns a LCD Sony (the 50) and I love the picture he did mention that pixels do go out. Said, if you look close you will find one on occassion. From a distance he told me you don't see if, but if you are the type that that thing bugs (ie- Anal retentive) it might bug you.

Well, those things bug me. So, I pretty much elimintated the LCD's (though they look great). I don't want a big RPTV since we will move a couple times in the next 5 or so years.

Kind of leaves me with Plasma or DLP. I can't afford the plasma's.

Bill_San

Auditioning
My folks own the first generation HLM 43". Absolutely love it. For HD the picture is incredible--view an outdoor scene and it looks like you're looking out an open window.

Progressive scan DVDs are also excellent.

All the benefits you list apply. It is very lightweight, there is virtually no glare in their room. You can view it way off-axis and it still looks good. And it's in an elegant and slim package. Speakers can go right next to it.

The standard satellite pictures are OK, but the set does show the flaws in a poor quality signal.

They got a 5-year extended warranty from Tweeter for less than $350, which covers new bulbs.

The PQ with an HD source is reason enough to buy this set. ESPN HD and others arrive this summer on DirecTV.

They love the Sammy DLP--could not be happier. I can't think of a reason not to buy one.

Daniel T.

Agent
They got a 5-year extended warranty from Tweeter for less than $350, which covers new bulbs
The salesman told me the bulbs were NOT covered. Eh well, no biggie. I just got a 50" Sammy DLP myself. Love it. Only thing that bothers me is the "squareishness" of the set. The speakers at the botton almost make it look like a 4:3 set and not a 16:9. I'm gonna black-out the speakers to fix that. The calibration of the set was just about spot on the first time I fired it up. Gonna re-tune it in a few weeks, mainly to see if there is any change. I also like the fact that I *can* move it around by myself, tho its much easier with a friend.

Regrets? My room is too small for the 61" version :D

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I'm looking at the 43", but what I would like to know is do the same viewing distances apply with DLP?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
I think it depends on how badly you want to start watching one right now. There are some things that are making me wait a few months before committing:
- new sizes from Samsung; the 56" is about the size I'm looking for rather than 50" / 61"
- newer firmware from Samsung for discrete input select & settings for each input
- Philips Cineos LCOS models similar in form factor & price, may or may not have better picture in some respects; I want to at least see it instead of buying now and potentially kicking myself in a month.
- RCA DLP sets including built-in HD tuner this Sept/Oct.
- new cheaper Toshiba LCOS model this Sept.

I've been sitting on the HD fence for years so waiting a few more months until fall won't drive me crazy :).

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I'm also patiently waiting to get either the Sammy DLP or the other LCOS alternatives when they show up.

I see nothing wrong with the HLN507 (watched it for a half-hour at CC) and it's best not to fret like many do over at the AVS Forum (where many people are only looking for trouble in every TV set).

If I was buying today it would be the HLN507 (I like the black bezel).

But I also want to check out the upcoming 46 and 56" models.

These are beautiful TV's, hopefully they've licked the bulb problem which was apparent on the HLM models.

Todd Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
I too have been waiting, and will likely get the Sammy DLP, when I save up enough money. A couple of you have mentioned a black bezel? I've only ever seen silver DLPs from Samsung. Do they offer one in Black?

Myki Cantero

Stunt Coordinator
Todd,

Yes, my 50L2HX (that's HLN507 in the US) arrived yesterday and it looks great with the black bezel. With the black bezel, you instantly know that it is a wide screen TV unlike with the all silver look. It is so light I almost feel cheated. :) My 100 lb. wife and I carried it.

It also came with a FREE stand from Samsung as well as a DVD player.

I love picture quality. Also, my standard cable TV signal improved. I don't know why but it did. DVD quality is unbelievable. The first movie I watched was Charlie's Angels. :) I know it's a crappy movie but that was what my kid selected.

I also calibrated the set with AVIA but it's not designed for digital TVs so it was not as easy as with my old Sony WEGA direct view.

XBox is super with this TV. Even better than the 29" Sony WEGA that I have. In Colin McRae Rally, it was hard to read the text, but here, it's as sharp as a computer display and I'm only using an S-video connector.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't get this except for the price. I'm sure it will go down next year since it's only the technology that we are paying for.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
The Samsungs are a bit pricey but with the right dealer they can be bought here in NY for a reasonable price.

For instance, BestBuy advertises the HLN506W for $3999, Circuit City at $3499 but at PC Richards I can get that same TV for around $2800. Big difference.

Hopefully once I saved enough money (I've been deferring my overtime so I can give myself a nice Christmas bonus) I can get PC Richards to give me a HLN507(Black Bezel) for that price or maybe lower as the price of DLP's should drop a bit by then.

All in all I'm very excited that Digital HDTV's have finally arrived and they work well with what I need for a Home Theater TV.

Adrian_S

Second Unit
I want to get the HLN506W in July, but I am thinking of waiting (I waited this long) to see what comes out and get a better deal. I can wait as long as the week before thanksgiving and then I'm going to die if I don't get one..... :D

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I hear you Adrian.

I dream at night thinking of having one of these beautiful TV's in my home.

It has really inspired me at work. I was never known as an overtime person but now I have a mission. These things cost big bucks (up till now I never spent big money on a TV...my present 27" JVC is the bottom of the barrel model...good for the kids though since its the Cartoon Channel 24/7!).

Next week I'm gonna go over to CC and spend an hour with my future HLN507 :D

Adrian_S

Second Unit
I think about my tv, day dreaming sometimes....

Yeah, I'm trying to put in at least 2-3 hours of OT daily so I can save enough. This is the last piece in my setup I need to be happy for a few years until I get a nice raise or a better job... :)

I'm also thinking of going with a Front Projection system like the Panasonic Ae300 and a pull down screen since all I would ever use it for is movies, but I just don't know... I guess, I'll figure it out when I get the $$$
:D

Myki Cantero

Stunt Coordinator
Ok. I've watched 3 DVDs already. Charlie's Angels, Pearl Harbor, Catch Me If You Can.

I've re-calibrated with Avia again just to be sure. :)

So far, the picture is extremely stunning. Details are there, no flicker, no scan lines that can be seen, no artifacts also even with Xbox games (Burnout 2, Halo, etc.)

I also haven't seen any DLP rainbow that the other owners were talking bout.

BUT, what I saw was the lower right light reflection. This happens when the scene is dark, and there is a bright object at the upper left. When this happens, there is a light reflection at the lower left. My wife didn't notice it but I did. I decided not to tell her and see when she'll notice it. I only noticed this with Pearl Harbor.

Also, in dark scenes, the face tones seem a bit artificial. However, in bright scenes, it looks too awesome. Again, I only noticed this with Pearl Harbor.

I use a Pioneer DVD/DVD-A player and I plan to upgrade it to a DVI player since a lot have said the flesh tone problem disappears with a better player.

Paul Stiles

Agent
I saw the Samsung HLN5065W, HLN507W, and the HLN617W at the San Francisco home entertainment show.

The HLN5065W has 3:2 pulldown and a silver frame around the picture.

The HLN507W and the HLN617W have Faroudja 3:2 pulldown and a dark frame around the picture.

All three seemed to have a very good picture.

Paul

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Also, in dark scenes, the face tones seem a bit artificial
I think Perl Harbor used either video tricks or makeup to give everybody a sepa-tone tint to their flesh. This should match color photographs of people from that time.

Try this: Tell the DVD player to NOT send progressive video, just interlace. People with this TV have said that the colors/quality is better with the DVD not sending progressive.

Myki Cantero

Stunt Coordinator
Try this: Tell the DVD player to NOT send progressive video, just interlace. People with this TV have said that the colors/quality is better with the DVD not sending progressive.
I have my player set to Interlaced already. When I set it to progressive, it's a bit jagged since the deinterlacer of the Pioneer is inferior to the Faroudja. It's also darker when set to progressive.

I've also noticed that in standard cable signals, the fleshtones are okay. It's just in the DVD I guess.

Don Petsche

Agent
I think it is important to state again that there currently is NO difference in the internals of the HLN sets. Newer firmware may have discrete codes, but to my knowledge, that is it! Yes, the 507 says DCDi on the outside, and 5065W does not, the 507 has a black frame around the screen, but that is it!

The marketing documentation is different simply because, as I've read elsewhere, Samsung does not want to pay to advertise the Faroudja. I have been in the service menu of my HLN5065W several times, and it DOES have the Faroudja chip. Yes, non-progressive DVD players typically look better as the TV has a better 3:2 pulldown than many/most players currently on the market.

So, if you are not hung up on the black frame, you can save some cash, and increase your available outlets in order to get the T.V. Regarding dealing, don't pay retail. Every situation is different, but I did get my set hundreds below advertised price. You just need to have done your homework ahead of time, and be willing to shop around a bit.

As to reasons not to buy, I love my set, but I do recommend you take any significant others who will be sharing time in front of the set with you to demo, and buy from a retailer with a good return policy. There are a lot of forum posts on the Net regarding "rainbows" and "headaches" from watching. Personally, I don't know if it amounts to more than "HDTV Legend", but when about to spend $3K on a set, I found it prudent to take my wife and oldest daughter along to preview on purchase day.

There is a tremendous amount of information on this line of T.V.s available over on
AVS Forum in the rear projection threads.

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
These sets look really nice, but for me it depends on what is cheapest in another year or so when new TV day comes around... Plasma, or DLP.

Also on Samsung's site it says all signals are converted to 720p.. so does that mean this set wont do 1080i?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks