1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

samsung bdp3600 in canada

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by sadbttru, Apr 24, 2009.

1. sadbttru

sadbttru Active Member

I have not been able to find much on this. But have a few questions. It is currently in stock at futureshop and bestbuy.

Does netflix work in canada?
    Does the picture viewer and media player (hooks to your network like a media extender, I think) work?

besides the other obvious questions of how it plays etc...
    I am specifically interested in the use of the 7.1 analogue jacks
    (man it is hard to get info that is not confusing about those jacks...am i losing any sound quality by using them over a straight hdmi hookup?)

I was comparing the samsung to the new panasonics as options to buy.

2. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    First question: no, but some decks actually do not have this feature enabled so the price is reduced.
    Not sure on the picture viewer and media player.
    7.1 analogue jacks are for people who don't have HDMI. You don't lose any audio quality by sending the decoded signals over HDMI, nor would you lose sound quality by having your receiver do the decoding.

I think the more important questions to consider when comparing with the Pannys are:
    -how do load times compare?
    -build quality (some have complained of inferior workmanship with the Samsungs)?

That being said, the major advantage of this player over the BDP 1600, for example, is that the wireless dongle is included with this one, whereas the 1600 is only wireless ready and the only USB port the dongle can be plugged into is the rear one, which means that if you want to use BD-Live features, you have to go out and buy Samsung's proprietary dongle and you have to plug your thumb drive into the front port, leaving the front panel down, which looks fugly. If you have a wireless network, that puts the 3600 at a major advantage over the 1600, and I don't think the Pannys come with wireless, which leaves you with either Sony's new models or the Samsungs.

3. photogray

photogray Member

I do not think it will work with your system
    [​IMG]

4. sadbttru

sadbttru Active Member

quote:
    7.1 analogue jacks are for people who don't have HDMI. You don't lose any audio quality by sending the decoded signals over HDMI, nor would you lose sound quality by having your receiver do the decoding.

I do not have HDMI on my reciever, so am I getting the best sound using the 7.1 analogue jacks?

What issues will i have when i use them?

Thanks

5. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    The only issues I've observed with using the analogues is that you don't have as much control over things like bass management. The decoders used in BD players are usually at least as good as what you'll find in a receiver, so it's simply a matter of having your player do the work instead of the receiver.

6. Guest

Anyone know if Netflix Canada will work on the BD-P3600, when Netflix crosses the border in Fall 2010?

7. Guest

Just called Netflix and the P3600 is not yet supported. The list of Samsung players that will work with Netflix Canada includes the 5500, 5900, 6500, 6800, 6900, 7500, 7900, 8000.

8. califf

califf Member

Yup!

I agree with you

I have also tried Netflix with Samsung . but it's not supported it properly.