What's new

Samsung BD-P1500 - Pleasantly Surprised! (1 Viewer)

Captain Spaulding

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
I'm aware of the reported problems with some of Samsung's previous Blu-ray players, so I was expecting much less from the BD-P1500 than the stellar performance that I have seen and heard so far.

I picked one up at my local Wal-Mart for only $348.00 + tax. I've owned both Sony and Panasonic Blu-ray players and now own a PS3. Here are my initial thoughts on the Samsung 1500 after playing several discs.

I can confirm that it does bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA to my Yamaha RX-V663 receiver. The picture is gorgeous, certainly as good as and, to my eyes, even a bit sharper than the PS3. I do not have a Blu-ray test disc to actually look at resolution patterns, but it looks very sharp with great colors. My TV is a 60" Sony SXRD.

The biggest surprise? The disc loading times are much faster than I expected. I did not actually time them, but the discs I put in loaded at least as quickly, and, I believe, even more quickly than what I remember the Panasonic BD30 load times were. Even "slow-loading" titles such as Ratatouille loaded in a very acceptable amount of time.

If the BD-P1500 continues to perform this well, I'm considering returning my somewhat noisy PS3 and keeping the Samsung.

I'm looking forward to other reviews that would verify or nullify my observations, especially about the load times.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Jay,

Are you refering to the PS3 as noisey due to sound noise (ie: fans etc.) or noisey picture?

Also, how does this Samsung stack up in upconverting SD-DVDs?

Captain Spaulding

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay

Hi Scott,

I was refering to the fan noise from the PS3.

I've only had time to look at one SD-DVD, so it's difficult to judge, but I'd say it looked at least as good as on the PS3. Of course it's all somewhat subjective.

Captain Spaulding

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay

It internally decodes and also bitstreams Dolby TrueHD. It only bitstreams DTS HD MA. As seems to be the pattern, internal DTS HD MA decoding is promised in a future firmware upgrade.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

Wow, I didn't know some players did that. That would be a deal breaker for me. I know it is off topic, but does the PS3 do this?

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

As far as I know many DVD players when used with most widescreen HD displays upscaling 4:3 frame DVD's, the result is the picture is stretched. Play the DVD at 480 and the aspect ratio should be correct and I assume that is the case with the Samsung BD-UP5000 and BD-P1500. I know it is with my BD-P1200. I don't know whether the blame is on the display or the player, but there are always ways around it. I have never watched a 4:3 DVD stretched and I own the PS3 and the BD-P1200.

Chris

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

Play the DVD at 480 and the display shouldn't stretch. Also some displays have the ability to take the incoming upscaled HD signal and maintain 4:3 aspect ratio. You probably won't find any big issue with not upscaling 4:3 DVD's.

Chris

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Please answer me this.............

The Samsung 1400 decodes AND streams DD True HD BUT,
the Samsung 1500 does NOT decode DD True HD ???

Is that right??

Thanks !!

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis

I hope you're right, but I have seen 3 charts at various websites that show it as streaming, but not decoding DD TrueHD.

They all show it as decoding DD+ & DTS HR, but streaming only DDTrueD & DTS MA.

Since I need the decoding for my older reciever, I now need to see a review or revews that show that it at least decodes the DD TrueHD. I mean they are selling them at some Wal-marts already & I'd snap one up at $348 if it did the decoding.
i can't beleive some lucky folks have them and I still haven't see a review!

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Now I'm reading at another site that it DOES decode DD TrueHD----IN TWO Channel !!!!!

Please somebody review this!!!

Thanks.

Captain Spaulding

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
In the manual, it states that by setting the audio output to PCM "You can enjoy Primary, Secondary and Effect audio together. You can also enjoy Dolby TrueHD sound even if your receiver cannot decode Dolby TrueHD". It does not specify if this is 2 channel or 5.1 channel Dolby TrueHD. Boy, Samsung needs a rewrite to make their manuals clearer!

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
Most of those articles that I've seen that say it doesn't decode the True Hd were from several months ago. Most of those charts were based on those articles and it seems that perhaps some things have changed since then.

Maybe once Samsung actually gets the 1500 on their website, things might be a bit clearer.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Thanks guys very thorough, but the wording of the manual seems phrased carefully to avoid saying that it decodes TrueHD in 5.1...........why would they phrase it that way if it decoded it in full 5.1 glory?

I'm a little more worried, that I'll have to wait for the Sony 350 or 550 to get DD TrueHD decoding rather than call around to every Wal-mart right now!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks