What's new

Sam Peckinpah Westerns Collection is Here, But! See Post #81 (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yee-har! Great news to brighten an otherwise dull day! From the DVD Talk forums:

Taken From this morning's USA Today:

Devotees of the late director Sam Peckinpah will revel in the upcoming "Sam Peckinpah Legendary Westerns Collection (from Warner Bros $59.92, out January 10th). Most coveted rarities in the box set: two disc special editions of The Wild Bunch, enhanced for widescreen TVs for the first time, and Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid with a version restored to the late director's original intention. The other two films are Ride the High Country (Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea) and The Ballad of Cable Hogue (Jason Robards and Stella Stevens).

Also stated that several documentries will be included.

Gets the New Year off to a flying start...

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Outstanding! Various sources have said that the familiar Peckinpah Posse from other commmentary tracks--Redman, Seydor, Simmons, and Weddle--have already done commentaries for other discs, so should we expect those on all four of these new ones?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, I think you should! Plus the extras will include this doco :emoji_thumbsup:

Over at the Peckinpah web board Nick Redman has said:

Glad to see that our audio commentaries have at least one supporter....thanks D.W. Garner, Paul, David and I have done commentaries on all the Warner Peckinpahs, as well as the about-to-be released Major Dundee,and I have to say they are a lot of fun to do, and I hope they are fun and informative for the listeners. In fact, for the PAT GARRETT disc we did two commentaries, one on the old so-called "director's cut," and one on the new cut which Paul Seydor and I supervised, which specifically charts the differences between the two, and why the director's cut wasn't the director's cut at all.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Yeah finally!!!

This was among my most anticipated releases of last year prior to it's delay. Can't wait to finally own my favorite movie of all time on DVD in a fitting collector's set - The Wild Bunch!!!

Plus the other films are all noteworthy too, I'm very excited!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Manged to track down the 'USA Today' release in full:

Peckinpah's restored films ride again on home DVD

Devotees of the late director Sam Peckinpah will revel in the upcoming Sam Peckinpah Legendary Westerns Collection (from Warner Home Video, $59.92, out Jan. 10, 2006). Most coveted rarities in the box set: two-disc special editions of The Wild Bunch, enhanced for widescreen TVs for the first time, and Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid with a version restored to the late director's original intention.

"The film was a victim of the Kirk Kerkorian-James Aubrey era (at MGM), where they took films and hacked them," says Warner's George Feltenstein. "Peckinpah's version was amazing." Several scholars used Peckinpah's notes and five different negatives to reconstruct the film, which stars Kris Kristofferson, James Coburn and Bob Dylan.

Commentaries accompany Garrett and the other two films*, Ride the High Country (Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea) and The Ballad of Cable Hogue (Jason Robards, Stella Stevens), which was a comedic departure from the director's usual brutal handiwork. Several documentaries detail the life of Peckinpah, who died in 1984 at age 59. "He was an almost mythic figure among directors," Feltenstein says. "Our collection represents him really at the height of his skill."

Page probably won't be up long but it's currently here FWIW.

*EDIT - I wouldn't panic at that; Redman has already stated there will be a commentary for The Wild Bunch - I'll eat my 10 gallon hat if there isn't!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I bought a USA Today paper this morning like I do every Friday and was wondering the same thing after reading the article.

Crawdaddy

Charles H

Screenwriter
My favorite Peckinpah film--and one of my favorite films of all times-- is THE BALLAD OF CABLE HOGUE. I'm glad to see that it's finally going to get the respect that it deserves. It's a tragicomic western that beautifully integrates animation and musical numbers (Jason Robards and Stella Stevens actually sing a duet of "Butterfly Morning") into an anthropological fable about the encroachment of technology on the Old West. It's unlike any movie that Peckinpah...or for that matter, anyone...ever made. Great Jerry Goldsmith score too!!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
One double dip - but definitely a better version - and three eagerly wanted films! :)

Consider this pre-ordered already, Digital Eyes!

Cees

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
No problem for me with the double-dip on The Wild Bunch, since we're getting an anamorphic upgrade and an SE. This set is mine!!

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
This is THRILLING news!!!

Maybe someday hell will really freeze over and we'll get an anamorphic transfer of Junior Bonner, too. :) (One of my favorite Peckinpahs.) :)

Wow, between this and the restored Major Dundee (which was such a treat to see in the theater)... I'm a happy little cowgirl. :)

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Can I get a "Fuck yeah!"?

Particularly happy to see the great Pat Garrett on DVD. So my "Director's Cut" LD wasn't a director's cut after all? Can't wait to see the new version.

--Jefferson Morris

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
OMG!!! Finally "The Wild Bunch" Special Edition!!! A few questions though. Is this goin to be released individually? And is this goin to be a 2-Disc Edition?

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
The USA Today article indicates that Wild Bunch will be a 2-disc SE. I don't think Warners has ever made any of their 2-disc SEs boxset-only, so it seems pretty safe to assume that it'll be available separately.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Hope that they also use actor commentaries: RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY (Mariette Hartley, L.Q. Jones, James Drury), THE WILD BUNCH (Ernest Borgnine, Bo Hopkins), THE BALLAD OF CABLE HOGUE (Stella Stevens, David Warner...and "Noon Wine" as an addition), PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID (Kris Kristofferson, Bob Dylan, Rita Coolidge, and Harry Dean Stanton). Awesome stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks