What's new

sam fuller film collection (1 Viewer)

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
The Beaver has a review: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews47/samuel_fuller_collection.htm

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I have trouble reading DVD Beaver (the white on black text is next to impossible to read) but is it true that THE TYPEWRITER, THE RIFLE, AND THE MOVIE CAMERA is not included in the set? In briefly skimming the review (and my eyes are still messed up from reading it) I didn't see it.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Jon Martin

I have trouble reading DVD Beaver (the white on black text is next to impossible to read) but is it true that THE TYPEWRITER, THE RIFLE, AND THE MOVIE CAMERA is not included in the set? In briefly skimming the review (and my eyes are still messed up from reading it) I didn't see it.
It is not included. Since the rights belong to BFI, Sony might not have been able to grab them. Too bad.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Another review from DVD Savant: http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s3041full.html

My copy shipped from Amazon today. Unfortunately, it's one of my christmas gifts. Have to wait till December and you know: the waiting is the hardest part. :D

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Glenn Erickson is writing this about the packaging in his review:

I've heard some negative remarks about the packaging, which didn't bother me at all. The only slight hang-up I experienced was putting the discs away, discovering that the bottom ones need to be slightly slotted in. Like many new disc holders, you can't navigate this one in the dark or when holding a drink in your hand. There are lots of much-screwier disc packages out there. In my opinion this is nothing to get upset about.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I echo Glenn Erickson's position. I had zero problem removing the discs, but encountered some difficulties putting them back. After seeing what I did wrong, it was quickly fixed. I don't see what the complaints are about at all. You get 7 movies on 7 discs with bonus content for under $60. I'll take that over the archives any day.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Well, I'm one of the complainers. The discs in the SAMUEL FULLER COLLECTION are stacked in overlapping pairs, which has been done in several other box sets. I don't like having DVDs rubbing against each other, but I can live with it (other than Sony's TOHO set, which stacked three DVDs onto one spindle).

However, the SAMUEL FULLER COLLECTION hits a new low--the four bottom discs have edges that are wedged tightly BENEATH the spindles. I found it almost impossible to safely remove the discs. In fact, I opted to crack the outer packaging twice, in order to slide the discs out without breaking them.

The Scorsese featurette on the UNDERWORLD, USA disc won't play properly in either of my DVD decks. I believe this is due to damage from being wedged under the groove below the spindle, since the disc has a permament mark on one edge that can't be cleaned off.

Most people may not be bothered by the strange packaging, but I feel compelled to mention it, since some people do care about the quality of the packaging. The SAMUEL FULLER and TOHO collections give me serious reservations about ordering future Sony product. Having spent seventy-something of my hard-earned (parttime) dollars on FULLER, I frankly expected better packaging than was afforded to the less expensive TOHO set.

I hope very much that Sony will reconsider their recent trend of poor quality packaging. For seventy dollars, I don't want a wrestling match when I remove the DVDs, and I don't want to discover a disc that is defective out of the box, due to that packaging.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
In my set the discs weren't "wedged" beneath the spindles, either tightly or otherwise. Once I had the lower disc fully disengaged from its own hub it was completely loose and lifted effortlessly from the slot in the upper disc's hub. The only time I experience anything like what you describe is when I haven't gotten the disc fully released from its hub. Sometimes they disengage only partially with the first press. I didn't have to twist or bend, much less break open the outer case. I got discs 1 & 2 out within about 10 seconds on my first try.

I will say this: all seven discs remained solidly in place during shipping, more than I can say for many of the other variations of the overlapping disc configuration.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I would rather have DVDs in slim cases, without locking spindles or overlapping discs. Am I asking for too much? For 70 dollars, I don't think I'm asking for too much.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I did not have a problem with the discs in removing or re-installing(?). I thank the previous posters for alerting me to the change. If it were not for those warnings, I might have had problems.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I did not experience any problems with either taking out or putting back the discs. I thought the packaging was fine.

Holer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joel
Park Row
Run of the Arrow
Verboten

What other SF films have not yet been released on DVD?

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Originally Posted by Holer ">[/url]

Park Row
Run of the Arrow
Verboten

What other SF films have not yet been released on DVD?
[/QUOTE][i][b]Run of the Arrow[/b][/i] is out in Spain already (although I think it might be P&S) and is also slated for (an improved?) release in France in the future.

[i][b]Verboten[/b][/i] is available from Warners in France. There's a DVD Beaver review of the disc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks