1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Salo" - which one of different versions to get?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Huffstutler, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Well-Known Member

Eric Huffstutler
    I see on eBay that there are a couple different versions of Salo out... one or even two put out by Criterion.

What is the difference between these versions and which is the true uncut version(s)?

2. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Well-Known Member

I believe the only uncut version with English subtitles out there is the R2-UK BFI edition. The video quality of the French DVD is better, but no English subtitles.

Ted

3. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Well-Known Member

Criterion version will likely require you to take out a 2nd mortgage on your house to get (beware of bootlegs!), I think the BFI version is PAL so you will need a region free player that does conversion, etc if you dont already have one (if you are trying to see something as odd as Salo, chances are you already have dipped your toes into the region-free pool [​IMG] )...i highly recommend you visit DVDBeaver online, it has a great thorough comparison of the 3 versions...an invaluable website!

4. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Well-Known Member

Eric Huffstutler
    What is this "facets" and 9 vs 29 chapter (or something like that) versions as well as "uncut" versions from China?

5. Andrew_K

Andrew_K Well-Known Member

It seems that the best version is the Hungarian DVD of "Salo" that has superior French transfer and contains both Hungarian and English subtitles.

6. CraigF

CraigF Well-Known Member

Craig
    Eric: all the "Criterions" except the "white label" are boots. Some sellers skirt the subject, but that's the short of it.

I have a spare unopened copy of the BFI version if you're interested in that one. Warning: the packaging BFI uses for this title does not travel well, virtually no hub retention. This version is quite serviceable for *this* movie (IMO), no green tinge and has burned in subtitles (2 advantages over the Crit, but not as clean PQ as the Crit).

Edit: clarification