What's new

Safe to stack receiver on power conditioner? (1 Viewer)

Hockey4496

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Koury
Hi there, so I am wondering if stacking my Sony V444ES receiver on top of a power conditioner (looking at the Monster Cable 5100 Conditioner) is advisable? Or will this setup negate the noise reduction benefits of using a power conditioner, considering I will have 8 power cables running 10" below all the analog/digital/speaker wires plugged into the receiver....
Unfortunately this is the only feasible setup that will accommodate a power conditioner, the only other option is a flat surge protector to lay on the floor below the armoire (all my components pre-amp,2channel amp,receiver, and dac sit on the top of the armoire).
Lastly, i'm not even sure I power conditioner at all. My logic was simply based on having 13 devices plugged into a single outlet could cause indiscriminate voltage drops and this would help ensure a smooth and consistent current to my audio components. If a surge protector is adequate, that would be my preference simply because that would be a much cheaper route.
I should also mention that i've had 85% of these devices plugged in to this messy setup for 3 years and have never had any problems, but before I invest in a good surge protector I thought it would be worth considering the power conditioner....
I appreciate any and all advice or comments. Thanks in advance!!
Components pulling power from single outlet (where I will place the surge protector or conditioner):
2 Klipsch RP-5 front speakers
Sony Receiver
B&K ST125.2 power amplifier
Emotiva XDA-1 DAC
TCL 43" LED TV
Playstation 3
Apple Time capsule router
2 external hard drives
small printer
Apple airport express
cable modem
digital cable box

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Actually, it is irrelevant how many are plugged into ONE outlet...as you probably have lamps running on the same circuit...from another outlet. You probably even run the vacuum from the same circuit.
You should have a surge protector no matter what. A whole home surge is the best choice.
http://www.amazon.com/Your-One-Source-SDSB1175C-Protector/dp/B002FYIHAO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344533179&sr=1-2&keywords=whole+home+surge+protector

Hockey4496

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Koury
Thanks for the comments Sam.
The only issue with the product you suggested is price. I am on a tight budget, $200 was going to be a major stretch already for a used power conditioner, but ideally whether it's a surge protector or power conditioner I need to try to keep it under $100. I know this budget is a major restriction on my available options (and their quality), but something is better than nothing....I just don't know which something I need to be shopping for :)
Any other suggestions? Or do you have any thoughts on stacking a receiver on a conditioner?
Thanks so much!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You are better off with one of these...
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-HT1000UPS-1000VA-USWith/dp/B000F4V3TI/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344534818&sr=1-3&keywords=ups+ht

Hockey4496

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Koury
That is do-able....so that shouldn't have any issues with all 8 devices being powered at the same time? I know some UPS's have wattage limits...
Would you still recommend that Tripp unit over a Monster 5100 conditioner if the prices are within $40 of each other?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
UPS=power conditioner+surge+battery back-up
A UPS does voltage regulation...as it is an inherent side benefit. Voltage regulation is power conditioning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks