What's new

SACD: Is it time for the funeral? (1 Viewer)

Brian-W

Screenwriter

I read it - and all his examples? They're from big retailers (and those announcements generally come true in less than 4 weeks time when leaked). The LX90? It's coming from a single retailer, in the U.K., 6 months old now, and that's it. And it goes against your friends example, where a retailer 'had' to pull it down. This one is still up and was/is never getting pulled down.

Plus, as I pointed out, Japan is generally first in getting all the new goodies, and with CEATEC just wrapping up, the LX90 would have likely been introduced there if not at CEDIA. The next opportunity? CES - and I can probably photoshop a unit and throw out specs just as easily as the next guy, and at some point, 6 days, 6 months, 6 years, whenever a unit might be announced as I spec'd it out.

AVS is far from an authority, and frankly the content has diminished significantly over the past year and a half. But, many manufacturers reps participate openly, including someone from Pioneer, so I'm not too quick to write it off.

Anyway, in regards to the LX90, it's a myth - there's nothing concrete to back up any sort of unit coming with all those specs. Based on Pioneer's numbering system, it's 99% likely the next player will be an LX90 for overseas markets.

At the end of the day, Pioneer just released their newest BD player in the U.S.. the 95HD, so likely we won't see any new announcements until CES which means won't be on sale until Spring 2008.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Not only do I think it's so obvious that "editorial" stance influences 'news' coverage so much as to make it silly to even say so (and you apparently haven't been reading TDB lately), but I am less than interested in news reportage from someone whose editorial stance evinces that they don't know what the F they're talking about.

That same AV Land site has featured a link to an SC-LX90 receiver since at least May. Pioneer issued a press release for that unit on September 28, 2007. This may or may not be dispositive of anything regarding the player, but it does appear to set a precedent refuting your notion that the passage of more than ~four weeks between mythic online appearance and substantiated reality means the former is the work of a rogue Photoshopper.

We could continue to go back and forth with this referencing precedent point versus dismissing it as "myth" counterpoint. But the larger issue seems to me to be: since you apparently have made up your mind about the SACD format, why did you even bother not only starting yet another thread on this subject but phrasing the title you chose in the form of a question?

Brian-W

Screenwriter

No one is twisting your arm to respond to my posts.

This thread isn't about hardware - it's about software and the lack thereof in any reasonable capacity. There's plenty of hardware announcements still happening, but little software to back it up - hence the title of this thread. And no where did I post I was abandoning SACD. I said it seemed to be a dead format. Doesn't mean I'm going to liquidate my collection.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

This is very tenuous ground, Brian. I could just as easily argue that this area of the Forum is and, if not, should be about MUSIC, not formats. Also, it's very problematic when broadly discussing SACD (you didn't delineate software from hardware when you chose the title of the thread) to then in medias res attempt to delimit harware as not being part of the discussion. One could argue that the ongoing release of hardware, which you acknowledge, refutes the notion that the format is "dead": if you're not "liquidating your collection" AND new hardware is being released, then you've got new hardware choices on which to play said collection. Again, what then is the point in asking a rhetorical question that has been beaten to death in this Forum area?

That's the admittedly personal issue for me: just as I'm already tired of seeing FORMAT debate in the high definition area of the Forum, I'm tired of seeing FORMAT debate in the MUSIC area of the Forum. Every couple of months, someone starts a thread like this and the same issues are raised and argued over by usually the same people. This area of the Forum is littered with these threads. It's led to the defection of knowledgeable members like Lee Scoggins and Keith Hirsch to Steve Hoffman's site, where I think fewer people have the regressive notion that lack of "mainstream" release = format death. One such thread was started just earlier this week about "DVD-A?" by someone who obviously didn't bother to do a search before failing to resist that impulse to start a new thread about an old subject.

It would be different if you started a release-specific discussion (i.e., the Genesis SACDs), but you did not. Clearly your attitude about the format has not changed since the thread began, so what's the point of basically passive-aggressively asking people to preach to your own choir?

"Any reasonable capacity" of SACD releases is a judgment on your part. I think you ought to expect some parries and jousts if you come to an enthusiast forum to basically declare a format "dead" just because the latest albums by whatever mainstream rock outfits tickle your fancy aren't getting released on that format.

The format is NOT DEAD. Period.

I think it's time the Forum made the same restrictions in the Music area regarding high resolution audio as has been done in the high def area regarding Blu-ray and HD DVD: non-release-specific 'format competition,' or in this case "format death," discussion should be restricted to a limited number of threads.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Whatever Paul - there was a good discussion amongst everyone in this thread *except* you where you deemed it necessary to become the threadcop deeming what should be/shouldn't be discussed along with your own personal monologue of how warped I and everyone else must be.

Once in a blue moon a thread like this pops up - they're not as frequent as you state. And if it irks you so much, why respond? Nevermind - I know why. This is my last post in regards to any of yours, so feel free to read your own words and get the last one in.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The "whatever" in response to substantive criticism doesn't aid the discussion either. And my criticisms have not been aimed at "everyone." What good discussion has occurred frankly hasn't been with regards to your assertions of SACD's death but rather other issues like DSD conversion (but that, too, has been discussed here many times before).

It's simply not true that I'm the only one who feels this way. I'm just one of the few who has spoken up instead of just leaving the Forum. I often e-mail with people who simply don't post here anymore because of OPs expressing sentiments such as yours that inevitably lead to arguments.

Blue moons must be frequent in your universe. Either that or you simply don't know how to use the search function.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I can say with certainty, I am going to continue to use SACD until my funeral. Of all of the shiny 5" formats I own, Blu-ray/HD DVD/DVD-V/DVD-A/SACD/CD, I am sure I play SACD the most in my home. I actually own more CD's and more DVD-V's than SACD's, but SACD is spinning somewhere in my fleet of players really often. I am planning on listening to "Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds" this Halloween.

Chris

Blair G

Second Unit
Real Name
Blair G.

Yup, me too.

Would I like more (non-classical) releases? Of course

But it will take me quite awhile just to collect the already releasesd titles on my wish list so it should keep me busy for a few years yet

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt

That would be huge, although WYWH isn't on the top of my most wanted Pink Floyd list.

Echo42987

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
Yeah SACD is no more. I heard that there is a new format in the works that will replace it. Just like the new TrueHD for movies, I think there doing something along those lines for audio?

-Nick-

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
With the Wish You Were Here release, we may see some life in SACD. The long term prognosis is not good. Still, there are lots of good classical albums in SACD coming out.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
It would be great if this could be added to a number of players as it would increase access to MCH audio (even if not hi-res) and provide the same "option B" that is available to DVD-A.

FeisalK

Screenwriter

perversely, Sony has removed the SACD capability from the new 40GB version of the PS3. not sure if v2 software still does the conversion, at this point in time

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks