What's new

S50 Question (1 Viewer)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Just wondering...does the S50 work like a Tivo in that I can start listening to a recording from the beginning while it is still recording?

Does the Stiletto offer anything that the S50 doesn't, other than the portability?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Neither allow a "listen to something else or the beginning of a recording while still recording" feature. THe first thing you have to learn is neither is "just like a Tivo" (despite what Howard Stern says). You can record only what you are listening to or record in sleep mode (Stiletto only for sleep mode). The Stiletto offers a larger flash memory (2 GB vs. 1GB), WiFi capability (you can attach to Sirius over WiFi where portable reception is not possible - airports, coffee houses, just about anywhere with "open" WiFi) and a bit more stability and ease of use. It lacks the "Love" feature on the S50 in that only a small portion of your flash can be used for songs individually saved over the air. It concentrates more on the "flag now, download later from a service" for capturing songs.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Hmm. However, with the Stilleto I know for sure you can be recording something, pause it, and it keeps recording and when you hit "play" you can just listen as it's still recording. I do this often for some of the shows I follow.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Yes, but that is just the playback buffer at work. If you notice, it also will try to "catch up" to real time by fraction of a second skips over dead air. This type of "pause and play" is limited by the size of the live playback buffer (45 minutes??) and doesn't allow you to listen to any stored-on-flash data. So I guess you can listen to something else while recording, but that "something else" has to be the current recording and only from the playback buffer, not from the recorded content.

One other difference between the Stiletto and S50 - The S50 allows you to "Love" or "Save" a song from a "My Channels" recording, the Stiletto does not. Many S50 owners like to leave it tuned to a music channel for several hours and then use this feature to "Love" songs by fast forwarding through the recorded songs and saving the ones they like. RIAA restrictions quashed this on the Stiletto's "Radio Replays" (essentially the same as "My Channels").

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks