1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

S-Video Problem...

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JayKellen, Jun 12, 2003.

1. JayKellen

JayKellen Stunt Coordinator

I posted this a while back and didnt get too many responses, so ill try again....i bought an s video cable for my tv to my dvd, and since i've had it, ive noticed very tiny black lines in the background on the screen...they are mainly evident when a movie has a clear scene (skies or light colors)....i really didnt notice a difference in the picture resolution anyway, and isnt that what the cable is supposed to do??...are there any tests to see the difference a picture has with and without the cable???....thanks for any info

2. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

S video doesn't affect the resolution of the image you see. It allows the source (dvd player) to send different parts of the video signal separately, basically amounting to less unnecessary signal processing and degradation.

I would try (re?)connecting the dvd player to the tv with a regular RCA composite video cable and see if you notice the problem with that connection.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Screenwriter

You must be sitting close to the TV and noticing the texture of the screen. Most direct view CRT's form the color picture using thin vertical red, green, and blue stripes and there are thin black gaps in between.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul