What's new

S-Video or component cable? (1 Viewer)

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering if I can get a little advice. A friend of mine has just purchased a 42" plasma set which is inexpensive by plasma standards. It's really an EDTV rather than a true HDTV set which is made by a company called Prima. Anyway, his DVD player (which he does not plan to replace in the foreseeable future) has 3 types of video out: Composite, S-Video and Component. Now I know composite is to be avoided. That leaves S-Video & component. In your opinion would there be any discernable difference between these two in final picture quality? In either case, is it safe to go with a "middle of the road" cable (price wise) rather than those more expensive Monster (or equivalent) cables? Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks.

-Mike

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
If he has a component output and a component input, then by all means, use it!

Now, I'm not going to advocate any particular cable: as long as the cable is not adding any serious artifacts (reflections, noise, et cetera,) then I tend to advocate the 'whatever's lying around' school. Three composite cables that are the same length should be fine - if you've got them. There's nothing magical about component cables; they're just three pieces of same-length 75ohm coax.

At least, that's what they should be.

Leo

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Leo. Just to be clear, his DVD player has outputs for BOTH s-video and component. His new TV has inputs for both as well. It sounds from your answer that you feel Component is the better route to take rather than S-Video under these circumstances to get better picture quality. I just want to make sure of this before he purchases the cable. Thanks again.

-Mike

John S

Senior HTF Member
yes.. Component video is a way step up, and how the video is encoded natively on the DVD itself.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
By all means go component.

An ordinary TV will take a Composite signal and:

- Run it through a comb filter to create SVideo
- Run that through another filter to create Component

By using component cables, you are by-passing 2 filter steps in the television. Less filtering => less artifacts.

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Bob. I've got a much better understanding now, why to go the component route. Thanks, everyone for your advice.

-Mike

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Any decent radio shack or AR cable will be fine. If you want the very best, get a canare/belden type professional cable at a place like blue-jeans. You don't need to get anything better than this, and it's not that expensive really if you have a demanding system and need that level of pure performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks