What's new

S&V tests the Marantz SR7200 (2 Viewers)

David_D_C

Agent
There HAD to have been a problem with the receiver S&V was testing. I upgraded from a NAD T750 (50x5) to a Marantz SR5200 (85x5) and the one this that REALLY stood out was how much LESS noise there was at high levels. I'm quite sure that I can't tell the difference between 50 and 85 watts per channel, but the SR5200 has more than enough power to drive all 5 of my speakers (Paradigm) to what I consider uncomfortable levels. Considering how inexpensive these new Marantz receivers are, I can see how they had to skimp on more than just the POS remotes :)
I'm very happy with my SR5200. Screw that Pan&Scan lovin' magazine! ;-)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I too own one of the new Marantz (6200) and it is the best receiver I have ever owned, not to mention the fact that I spent 6 months auditioning receivers prior to the new Marantz line coming out, and I am very UN-impressed with the competition. It also drives my Paradigm setup to insane levels.
------------------
My Website: Link Removed
e-mail me: [email protected]
My DVD Profiler
Paradigm Lover

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
While I'm alarmed by the S&V post above (I haven't read the actual review), I have to agree with the above two posts. I upgraded from a Yamaha RX-V390 (60W x3, 15Wx2) Pro-Logic receiver, and I noticed a huge difference, as would be expected. The Yamaha didn't have trouble driving my Mordaunt-Short 906 towers in 2-channel, but it definitely lost steam when asked to drive my system in surround sound. No such problem with my SR-6200 - all SIX channels come through loud and clear, even when I push it with heavy-duty discs like the Gladiator battle scenes (again, as I would expect). Two channel stereo sounds sweet, almost as good as the high-end separates gear I heard when first auditioning the MS-906s at the shop.
I'm anxiously awaiting further news in the press on this issue.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Since I didn't see the actual review, I have a question for those that have. Besides the power ratings,
how was S&V's review of the 7200 in other aspects and overall what did they think of it.
It was "unexceptional",in D.R. words.
The high noise floor was audible for the most part,2 ch or multy channel operations.
The remote's LCD window isn't backlit,however it's ergonomics were good,so is the receiver's OSD,
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Will Pons

Auditioning
If anyone out there hears anything in a way of response from Marantz, please post it immediately. I have a SR7200 still un-opened. I researched over several months as the new models came out. I also was in contact with no less than ten SR6200/7200 owners who, (with the exception of the video switching problem early on) were all happy with in-home performance of their units. The remote on the 6200 was also not liked by a few. I bought locally (fortunately)so I can return if I choose. My unit was just received from Marantz and I was assured the video switching problem had been fixed.I based some of my decision on the favorably sound audition/reviews of the SR7000. It's disturbing to think a manufacturer would cut corners on a new unit rather than build on a solid performer.
Please post any Marantz response as soon as anyone hears.
Thanks.
P.S. I submitted an e-mail request to Marantz Friday AM for an explanation/response to the S&V review, and let them know I would be returning mine if I could not be satisfied the SR7200 performance will be on a par with the SR7000. We are each only one consumer voice; it will be significant to me if they choose not to respond.
[Edited last by Will Pons on October 12, 2001 at 01:37 PM]

AllenD

Second Unit
I read the in the lab report first, also. Sad results...
frown.gif

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
I was within 24 hours of buying one; I don't know, now.
frown.gif
I went to the Marantz.com website and sent them an e-mail for their response to the S&V lab tests; perhaps if enough people do so they will send out a press release or contact us.
------------------

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Well, Marantz is aware of the S&V issue. I sent them an e-mail asking them about the report:
I was today going to purchase the SR-7200 AV Receiver. However, I understand Sound and Vision just did a review of this receiver with some VERY disturbing lab results (i.e., clipping begins with all 5 speakers being driven at 29 watts; bad noise, etc.). Will you respond to this article/lab tests? Is it possible the tested unit was defective?
and I just received this reply:
"We're checking into this matter right now. Most probably is indeed was a
unit from the test run and not checked upon review. We are extremely upset
to say the least about the procedure at Sound&Vision.
We are fully confident that the SR7200 is a wonderful product as delivered
from each Authorized Marantz dealer. In the coming months we will have the
SR7200 tested in various magazines which will all prove that the article is
giving absolutely the wrong impression about what this product is.
Kind regards,
Erwin van der Putten
Marketing Director
Marantz America
Advise:
Please listen carefully to the product in the shop, compare and make your decision. If you choose for Marantz pls. tell me why. If not, also. We need to have consumer input to proceed bringing qualitative products to the market."
Their marketing department is to be commended for the prompt response.
------------------

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
Most probably is indeed was a unit from the test run and not checked upon review. We are extremely upset
to say the least about the procedure at Sound&Vision.<
This is curious on both sides. For one S&V should have contacted Marantz and ask why they were getting such poor results. At least request another sample. On the other side of the coin Marantz should have made sure they were shipping a functional unit for review.
I will say S&V has not done many Marantz receivers in the past but when they did I believe that review sample had problems too.
It seems manufactures are trying to cram so much into these units that something has to give at the lower price points and power seems to be the target.
That Outlaw 1050 looks better and better!
Bob

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
We're checking into this matter right now. Most probably is indeed was a
unit from the test run and not checked upon review. We are extremely upset
to say the least about the procedure at Sound&Vision.
Yeah it's S&V fault that they may or may not received a "dud".
They didn't buy it from a dealer it came from Marantz themself.
While S&V could have concluded that it was a defective unit,shouldn't the manufacturer had shipped a unit that was thoroughly inspected and passed their QC?
I'm even more disturbed with this lame answer then the review of the product.
Way not to go,Marantz!
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with you Lewis.
You would think that Marantz would have specially tested and selected the receiver they sent to S&V magazine for testing.
I won't mention the name of the company but I have a friend who works for a big-name speaker company that many of you probably own, and he says that it's a big procedure for them to send a pair of speakers to a magazine for a review. They don't just grab any pair off the line..... instead they test speakers all day long until they come up with a pair that is exactly what they designed. They are unable to satisfy the requests of all the reviewers who want samples because it's so time consuming to make/find a pair to send.

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
The thing about the response is that they are somehow questioning the testing procedure at S&V? This is the exact same procedure they use for every other receiver that has passed. So how can they be unhappy with them? It isn't a problem with S&V, but a problem with Marantz. Maybe not their products, but that receiver in particular. It's not like S&V somehow tested it any differently.
Bryan

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I can't say that I notice a lack of power with my receiver in surround, 5 channel stereo or in 2 ch stereo. I have a 50 watt per channel amp I could use to compare it with, but I'm not sure how to go about it in a way that would allow me to achieve useful results. I mean, I don't want to just crank up the receiver as high as I can and use an SPL meter while my speakers and the receiver melt. Clipping would not be the best thing for my new speakers, or for my old ones, for that matter.
The first thing the Sound & Vision magazine should have done after getting test results as bad as those is contact Marantz to say that they have a problem with the receiver. The numbers are low enough that it should set off alarm bells that something is in fact wrong with the receiver. If that is not the case, then thats fine, but they should have at least given Marantz a chance to see if it was a faulty unit. If Marantz is at fault, I may be extremely disappointed and contemplate what I may do with my SR 6200, but only after I compare it with my older amp. If it is Sound & Visions fault, then they should immediately re-test the receiver and print a retraction.
Is there a way we as customers can test our receivers and amp equipment to see how much power they put out? I was thinking of playing a constant tone and using a clamping ammeter around the speaker wire but 1) I don't have a way of measuring THD or clipping and 2) I could blow the amp and/or blow or damage the speakers. So maybe there isn't a safe way without expensive equipment?
[Edited last by Chris PC on October 12, 2001 at 09:02 PM]

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
I owned the SR7200 for about a week. I am not surprised at the Sound and Vision report. When setting the subwoofer using the internal test tones, actual subwoofer output was at least 10 db too low, based on my trusty Infinity RABOS meter and test disk. A sweep revealed that everything below about 80 was down in level. After raising it up (via my amp) I was able to balance the sub with other speakers.
Also, re the subwoofer limiter, when listening at reference level, the subs (dual HSU1220HO driven by a Samson 1000 and equalized with a Beheringer PEQ-2200) peaked at around 109 db on the loudest bass passages even if I nudged the volume beyond reference. The same setup with a Lex DC-2 or Denon 3802 peaked at 115db. I thought this rather strange but reading that S&V tested an internal peak limiter on the order of 6db (in the bass) I guess my 7200 was performing as designed.
Finally, add all this to the fact that my monitor out was non-functioning and the S-Video problems others have mentioned, I feel the 7200 is a non-starter.

Chris Ball

Auditioning
I recently purchased a SR-6200 and all i can say is i am 100% satisfied and very happy with the results i have been getting. People can poor over specs and read countless reviews but what it really boils down to is "Do you like what you are hearing?" "Are YOU happy with it" Who cares what a magazine tests say. Go listen to one for yourself, if you don't like it buy something else. I will admit poor results could hamper potential new purchases but isn't it true you should listen to various products before you buy to find out which is the one you like best.
If you have a 5200,6200,7200 and you have been happy with it then why contemplate returning it?? Because of the S&V article do you all of a sudden not like it anymore?
I guess i could ramble on for quite awhile but my point basically is regardless of what S&V had to say about the receiver i am 100% happy with my 6200 and i have no plans to return it.
Chris

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
"People can poor [sic] over specs and read countless reviews but what it really boils down to is "Do you like what you are hearing?" "Are YOU happy with it" Who cares what a magazine tests say. "
I care because in my case it validated what I measured. The receiver was not giving me the performance I paid for. A peak limiter that automatically kicks in on the sub out is a peak limitation for me. If I hadn't measured it myself I would not have known that my performance was compromised-a fact that the S&V article confirmed. Hey, it sounded good, but so what? It was doing stuff to the signal it shouldn't have (like limiting the impact of Scene 35 from Fight Club) and I noticed it, measured it and would not put up with it. If you don't care that it's messing with the signal, that's your perogative. I did, and took it back, which is mine [perogative, that is].

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
I installed a HT system for a buddy of a buddy, and he bought the 7200. What a POS that thing was, no power, aweful remote, and very difficult to setup. He ended up returning it and getting a Yamaha 1000. He is much happier now with the power of the Yamaha, but the setup isn't much better.
I would highly not recommend anyone getting the Marantz SR7200. And after seeing these test results I can fully believe that they are right on the money. I think it is a case of Marantz trying to keep up with the next guy.....but in all reality they are just putting out crap and taking our money for it.
JMHO

Myles

Agent
This kind of thing is NOT good for Marantz. Forums like this and word of mouth can kill some sales.
Few questions and observations:
Are these receivers made in China? Didn't I read about some quality control issues when Marantz started pros. receivers in China?
Could someone sue the company for gross missleading in advertising in regards to the power output (esp when it's apparently sooo far out)
Someone else mentioned Outlaw being made in the US...I think the 1050 is actually made in China.
Give Harmon Kardon credit for not inflating their power numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks