What's new

S&V tests the Marantz SR7200 (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Well. Come this thursday, it will be 4 weeks. Yes, 1 month since I brought my receiver in to the distributor to be "fixed"
frown.gif
. I thought I was doing the store and myself a favour because the distributor is closer to me than the store, and in completely the opposite direction. Why drive east 20 minutes when I can drive west 10 minutes and avoid having to wait for the receiver to be sent to and from the store. Well, I even wrote a letter asking them to replace it "or" fix it. I guess they are swamped with repairs, because I haven't heard from them yet. I used to check twice a week. I am very discouraged and I am window shopping for a new receiver. If I get the receiver back and any of the problems are still there, I am taking it straight back to the store and exchanging it. This is ridiculous. A brand new receiver and they have had it for longer than I have. I totally understand that there must have been some quality control issues and a serious screw up, but Marantz is not handling this very well. I am pretty fair and if the 6200 is not the receiver for me, I will even consider an SR 8200 if it has none of the problems that the 6200/7200 line has. I am very patient and will give them a chance to fix my SR 6200, but an Onkyo TX-DS 797 or Yamaha RX-V1200 or 2200 is sounding like a really good idea when I am left without a BRAND NEW receiver for almost a frickin month now !
I can't believe that Marantz has not at least issued a recall or a statement acknowledging the quality control issues with the SR 6200 and 7200 models. Do they expect to keep me as a customer? I could very well buy CD players, DVD players, Amplifiers, receivers or an HDTV display from Marantz, but now?
Anybody else having problems obtaining a properly working Marantz SR 6200 or 7200? I can't imagine getting my receiver back after a whole month, fixed or not, and sitting down in front of it and thinking, "This is such a nice receiver. I am so glad I made this purchase." Arrrgghh!!
frown.gif

[Edited last by Chris PC on November 12, 2001 at 08:51 PM]

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Well, finally, I got my receiver back yesterday from repair.
1) SVIDEO switching noise. My receivers S-video switching noise is gone. The S-video switching looks very decent. No noticable problems and it is of course synched with the appropriate video input too.
2) Audio Dropouts. Minimized to start up and between discs and also still happens between tracks when I am searching for the next track. If I press track advance, the next track will be somtimes cut off. Its annoying as all hell. Its weird. The technician spoke to me and said he couldn't make it dropout, and yet i had dropouts between tracks a lot. Once the player is playing, I can stop the player, pause the song, change tracks and do whatever and it only drops out when I press track forward or back. If I enter a track number directly, its fine. When I press pause, the receiver does indeed emit a faint "click" sound, but the "DIGITAL" and the "L" & "R" on the display all stay lit up perfectly and the restarting from stop or pause of a song or track is perfect. The only time it ever cuts off a single bit of the track, is when my 5 disc DVD player changes discs. When the DVD player goes to change discs, the DIGITAL and L & R on the receiver go out and don't come back until the track plays, and consequently, I miss a fraction of the first second of that track. It is annoying, but once that CD is playing, no amount of stopping, track searching or pausing will make it drop-out. I am searching for CD's that will cause it to drop-out, but I haven't found any. It is possible that I didn't have the optical cable hooked up right the first time, but I doubt it, as I had checked and quadruple checked stuff like that and this time i just hooked it back up and it worked, apart from changing discs. Oh and of course, on power-up, the very first track does miss a fraction too. Not impressed, but at least the problem has been minimized. What really sucks, is I can't use the DVD player for random multi-disc playback now! My setup is Panasonic DVD CV51 dvd player connected to my Sr 6200 with an optical cable.
3) The audio noise is still there. I admit that its not really easy to hear it, and you have to really turn it up, like to -15 dB to +15 dB. Its deafening (well relatively, for a hiss noise that shouldn't be there) at 0 to 15 dB. I think the noise level is unacceptable. The noise is different for different inputs. I noticed "source direct" still cuts the noise off almost entirely. not sure about surround speaker noise, but they are close to me, so if it was there , I'd notice. My biggest concern is the fronts and maybe the center speaker.
(N.B. The tech said he couldn't fix the audio noise and had been talking to Marantz and hadn't gotten a response that was able to allow him to fix or stop the noise. I went and picked it up anyways for now. I got tired of waiting.)
Upon reflection and relistening to my receiver, i can't say there is a lack of power. I do have somewhat efficient front speakers (91 dB anechoic and 93 dB room sensitivy 90 dB/1 watt/ 1 meter) though. Watching Jurassic Park in both DD and again in DTS at anywhere between -10 dB to 0 dB on a scale with a max volume of +15 dB, I found the 0 dB level was loud, not distorted and pleasing.
I am going to the dealer to listen to a few receivers there to compare background noise levels.
[Edited last by Chris PC on November 17, 2001 at 04:59 PM]

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Well, the DVD player will cut off the beginning of tracks under these situations:
1) first track on start up
2) forward scan to next track or previous track
3) upon changing discs
It won't drop out between every track.
I noticed the same thing using a Pioneer 503 5 disc dvd player that was connected to an SR 5200. I'll have to try other receivers and see how they work when playing audio from a dvd or cd player using a digital connection. I'm particularly interested in how other receivers work when connected via a digital cable to a 5 disc dvd player that is playing cd's.
I listened to an SR 5200 and 7200 at max volume in the store and the background noise was similar to mine. I also tried a Pioneer Elite receiver and it was also similar, if not louder and more hiss.
Not sure what to do. I wonder if the audio dropouts are my DVD players fault?

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Chris,I've never noticed this,on various Denon Sony ES and Yamaha receivers I've had or my friends.The only "drop out" issue I had with my old Denon 3600 when playing DD stuff only not PCM,but that was a "locking" issue,since it happened when I paused the DVD or at layer change,and that was a design problem,not malfunction,which was corrected on succeeding models.
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Lewis,
Opps. I forgot if you even have a 6200/7200. I know you started the thread, but do you have one of those?

Gary Ed

Auditioning
I was all set to make the receiver "buy" decision. I like the 7200/6200. Wanted that price range. Heard about the review. Now, back to the drawing board. BUT, on another chat, someone said they got a reply from Marantz saying the test was of a prototype, not a production line unit. Marantz also said no-one at the Mag got back to Marantz to find out why the results were fooey. Don't know why it would be the Mag's responsibility. Also, I figure Marantz has to say something to explain the problem. My problem now is what to buy. It's off this thread, but what matches with a set of DefTec 100/200s. I've now heard negative about Onk, Sony, Yamaha (no PLII) and Denon. What's left?????
/Gary

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
quote: Opps. I forgot if you even have a 6200/7200. I know you started the thread, but do you have one of those?[/quote]

NO I own a Denon 3801.

I was choosing between the HK 510 and a Marantz SR 7000,when bought the Denon earier this year.

------------------

"You Hungarians always disagree"

derek fong

Auditioning
Chris PC,

the behavior you are observing is similar to what i've experienced with my 7200...drop outs are only when skipping tracks. i once had a drop out in the middle of a movie, Terminator, and it was "mildly reproducable" (it was about .5 seconds the first time and then subsequent ones was maybe .1 seconds.

i don't think it's your DVD player in particular as i've encountred it with my Panasonic RV30. i've also noted it on my Parasound CD player but since its internal DACs sound superior, i use it analog/source direct for music.

again, as i've posted earlier, i have no S-Video problems, noise is comaparable to waht you describe, and since my speakers are also of comparable efficiency, there is plenty of power for what i'm doing so i can't comment if its really running at spec...but there more reserves than i will ever need.

-Derek

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks