What's new

S & V reviews DV-47A (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
In post #23, Jeff Adams said:
It's been a year since your comments, Jeff, and I'm just curious about what you decided to buy/do. Clearly the "format war" is not over. Things have become more confusing/odd in terms of what major labels are releasing what. Universal players have neither become more prevalent nor less expensive. At CES a few weeks ago, Denon rolled out a universal player (the 2900), adding SACD playback to a piece that cost $1,000 a year ago. It still costs $1,000.
Seems like there's a split in the market: DVD-V has gotten huge. The Korean companies making the $69 DVD players that you can buy at the grocery store have seemingly inspired JVC, Tosh and other DVD-A-supporting companies to chase and compete for that market, throwing in DVD-A on many of their DVD-V players in the process. Sony has a couple (not enough) entry level DVD-V players that include SACD. A lot of these players are < $250. No universal players in this price range (?).
Then there's this other market of universal players like the new Denon that costs 3x, 4x or 5x as much. Not so much like the DV-47a in between anymore.
Paul

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I have actually done nothing yet. Still have the same dvd player and sacd player. I am however on the ropes on the new Denon 2900 and Yamaha S-2300. I know both have an MSRP of $1000 but I am sure I can pick one up for $750-$799. Plus Marantz is coming out with a new combo player, I think it is called the 8400, but I am also sure the MSRP will be like $1699. That is too much for a dvd player. Anything under $800 I can deal with although $500-$600 is more along the lines of what I want to spend.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Actually, I thought Pioneer plans to come out w/ more mid-level universal players, including one that's only ~$300, no? Would be interesting to see how their lineup shakes up since now I'm starting to get drawn into the MC music formats as well.

_Man_

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Jeff Adams:

Thanks much for the reply. Apparently, there haven't been any DVD-A releases that have compelled you to pick up even an inexpensive DVD-A player like the Mitsu DD-8030 or Tosh SD-4800? But then you have to do the input shuffle . . .

Do you mind posting back here again if you move forward with getting either the Denon 2900 or the Yamaha S-2300?

Man-Fai:

Is this news from a recent trade show that you're referring to? If so, what's the expected street date for these pieces?

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks