What's new

S.H.I.E.L.D. (Joss Whedon's Live Action Marvel Universe TV Series on ABC) (2 Viewers)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I think this show needs to spend a couple of bucks and bring in one of the Avengers....And more than just a 1 min cameo. They could even go and use another Marvel hero that is not going to be in the movies if the cost is prohibitive. Bring in Jeremy Renner. The f/x on his character will not eat up the budget (his salary might). Who knows....they may be saving these appearances for sweeps.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I agree that this show is exactly in line with other shows I grew up with like The A-Team, Knight Rider, and Airwolf. Not every show has to be for a full adult audience like the new BSG and the 8pm time slot should have tipped that off. If it was aimed stronger at 18-34 but kids could generally enjoy it, it would have been at 9pm. I like it for what it is.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Just because a show is on at 8pm doesn't mean it has to be shallow and dull witted. Buffy, for instance, was not aimed at an adult audience, but could be enjoyed by such even though it aired in the 8pm time slot for its WB run.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Chuck Anstey said:
I agree that this show is exactly in line with other shows I grew up with like The A-Team, Knight Rider, and Airwolf. Not every show has to be for a full adult audience like the new BSG and the 8pm time slot should have tipped that off. If it was aimed stronger at 18-34 but kids could generally enjoy it, it would have been at 9pm. I like it for what it is.
What hour slot were these shows on back in the day?

IIRC, "The Dukes of Hazzard" was on at 9pm and "The Incredible Hulk" was on at 8pm, during the early 1980's.

I don't remember offhand if "Knight Rider" was on at 8pm or 9pm.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Hanson said:
When I was 7 or 8 years old, The Six Million Dollar Man was simply the greatest show in the world. It might have been the greatest anything ever for me at the time. Which is why it absolutely baffled me that adults thought the show was terrible kiddie stuff. What the hell was wrong with these people? I guessed it was a generational divide, like how adults listened to classical music but didn't like rock and roll. But man, I wished they could just get in back in touch. The Six Million Dollar Man was the best show in the history of television. Take those blinders off, people who supposedly knew more than me!

Decades later, I was thrilled that they were rerunning the episodes on cable. I set my VCR to record -- memories? Nostalgia? THE BEST SHOW EVAR? Yes, all of these things. All of these things and more.

I don't even remember which episode it was, but after about 10 minutes, I realized something -- those adults were right. 100%, absolutely right. With a sense of defeated horror, I made my way through the entire episode and then promptly deleted it from the timed recording schedule. It was unwatchable.

Now, Agents of SHIELD is better than SMDM, but I suspect it's only hitting for the 6-14 year male audience, the same audience that enjoyed the A-Team in its heyday. If I were younger, I would probably love the shit out of MAoS, but I'm not a kid any more.

This is not to say that the show will never right itself -- after all, it took Angel a couple of season to really get going. And the first season of Buffy isn't great shakes (the first really great Buffy episode didn't happen until episode 6). But the casts in both of those shows is miles ahead of what MAoS has. And neither had to toe the line between making something for themselves and not bumping into concurrent movie projects. The all encompassing shadow of the Avengers makes the show automatically second rate, with B level effects and characters. Maybe B level is being too generous.

The third outing shows it's getting somewhat better, but the whole fight scene on the island was boring. The scenes in the lab between Coulson and the scientist stretched on forever. It just felt padded and interminable.

Best part of the episode -- Skye running around in a wet dress. By far. Which kind of sums up how low this show is scraping.

Don't even compare this show to SMDM it' not even anywhere in the same league

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Hanson said:
When I was 7 or 8 years old, The Six Million Dollar Man was simply the greatest show in the world. It might have been the greatest anything ever for me at the time. Which is why it absolutely baffled me that adults thought the show was terrible kiddie stuff. What the hell was wrong with these people? I guessed it was a generational divide, like how adults listened to classical music but didn't like rock and roll. But man, I wished they could just get in back in touch. The Six Million Dollar Man was the best show in the history of television. Take those blinders off, people who supposedly knew more than me!

Decades later, I was thrilled that they were rerunning the episodes on cable. I set my VCR to record -- memories? Nostalgia? THE BEST SHOW EVAR? Yes, all of these things. All of these things and more.

I don't even remember which episode it was, but after about 10 minutes, I realized something -- those adults were right. 100%, absolutely right. With a sense of defeated horror, I made my way through the entire episode and then promptly deleted it from the timed recording schedule. It was unwatchable.
In recent years, I too eventually came to this same realization after I picked up and watched through the dvd sets of various tv shows from my youth.

In particular, television shows like: Knight Rider, Airwolf, The A-Team, Wonder Woman, The Dukes of Hazzard, Starsky & Hutch, Charlie's Angels, Miami Vice, MacGyver, CHiPs, etc ...

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
jcroy said:
In recent years, I too eventually came to this same realization after I picked up and watched through the dvd sets of various tv shows from my youth.

In particular, television shows like: Knight Rider, Airwolf, The A-Team, Wonder Woman, The Dukes of Hazzard, Starsky & Hutch, Charlie's Angels, Miami Vice, MacGyver, CHiPs, etc ...
Totally disagree with you on some of those shows. There was NOTHING cooler back in the day than Happy Days, A-Team, Dukes of Hazzard or Miami Vice. I had shirts, lunch boxes, etc. from most those shows. Every teen boy was drooling over Daisy Duke and wanted a General Lee car. Heck, I even wore Miami Vice clothing lines to high school thinking they were the coolest since I had an official Fonzie leather bomber.

Fast forward to today and while a lot older, I still find them much more appealing than most of what passes for entertainment on television. Yes, some of those were kids shows or family shows, but they still had the cool factor and were main stream. But shows like SHIELD are not remotely comparable because it hasn't turned into a cult show. Those old time shows had better writing and acting for the most part by comparison.

When I look at junk like SHIELD, I would enjoy it regardless of being a family type show if they even came close. But the down right dreadful acting and poor scripts are painful to watch. Like I said prior, B- acting at the best and any soap actor would do credit to them. They are all too young and while good looking, not a one can act to save their lives.

In the last episode, I laughed at the girl punching the bag in the plane. She was tapping it so soft it was barely moving and their was nothing in her body weight behind it. It looked like she was playing with it like a cat with a toy mouse pawing at it. The guy was suppossed to be training her according to the dialog and it was one of the most laughable scenes ever. Just one example of many for how lousy the writing, scipt and effort is on this show.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Hanson said:
Just because a show is on at 8pm doesn't mean it has to be shallow and dull witted. Buffy, for instance, was not aimed at an adult audience, but could be enjoyed by such even though it aired in the 8pm time slot for its WB run.
I would agree on that as I too enjoyed Buffy. But I hated season 6 & 7 and for me the show ended with season 5 which was excellent. The acting and scripts were much better than anything done on SHIELD. You CAN find young actors that are good if you take time to find the talent. To me, SHIELD just seems like it's slapped together with no concern about quality.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Dave Scarpa said:
Don't even compare this show to SMDM it' not even anywhere in the same league
This statement is ambiguous. Is the comparison insulting to SHIELD or to SMDM?

The best comparison is Smallville. I am starting to think Smallville is better than SHIELD. And Smallville was terrible. Also...

Lana Lang >>>> Skye. Kristin Kreuk may be a worse actress, but she was eleventy times hotter than Chloe Bennet is.

Chloe Sullivan >>>>> Simmons.

Pete Ross still sucks.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Jeffery_H said:
I even wore Miami Vice clothing lines to high school thinking they were the coolest since I had an official Fonzie leather bomber.
I was already in college when Miami Vice was popular. I never got around to wearing that style of clothing.

When I was younger, I was more into the cheesy disco type of clothing. It may sound silly today, but I really loved Saturday Night Fever in those days (ie. the music, fashion, etc ...). :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Watched the first three eps on my DVR today. I'm not really impressed, but will watch a few more episodes. The implied mystery about Coulson, and whether he's the real deal or not, is kind of tiresome. I wish they'd just left it at Coulson's initial explanation, but they have to try and turn it into something more.

I've also not had any issues with understanding the Fitz-Simmons dialogue. I'm kind of amazed that it seems to be a problem for so many others. Though, as someone else noted in this thread, by watching a lot of BBC productions maybe I'm just used to it.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Still has my 13 year old asking me when the next episode is coming on.

I can take it or leave it. I see it sticking around for a least a couple seasons.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Parker, that sounds about right. If I were 13 I'd be into this like A Team and Knight Rider. But doesnt do anything for me as an adult, without a kid to enjoy it with.I'll be curious to hear how it progresses. I've got Fringe as a future watch. I wrote it off to start, but it seems to have become a good series.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I just got around to this week's episode today at lunchtime. As with the other two episodes, there is more potential than execution so far. I don't like Skye, the character or the actress, but it seems the team is being shaken up a bit, and all that will be to the good. I'm still watching, for now at least.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This show reminds of the syndicated shows like Mutant X in terms of tone and writing at times, and that's not a good thing.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This was the best episode yet, in my opinion. The team's starting to gel, and we got the first hints at a real ongoing nemesis. The only down side is that, yet again, they set up and pay off. We've yet to have an episode where the ending doesn't play out exactly as expected.The Skye character seemed toned down this episode compared to previous episodes. And she's a lot more fun as one of the geeks in the van than she is when they're trying to force a romantic angle between her and Agent Ward.More hints at the ongoing Coulson mystery. I would love to know what the renegade agent saw when she looked at Coulson with her x-ray vision.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
OK episode, but pretty standard action storytelling. I like the show, but I don't love it, and I wouldn't freak out if I missed an episode.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Adam-

I think you're right, I think they are slowly fleshing out that there is an alternative agency. What they decide that is going to be (AIM or Hydra or whatever) hopefully they get there soon, because once we get a back and forth it will improve the show significantly

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks