What's new

S.H.I.E.L.D. (Joss Whedon's Live Action Marvel Universe TV Series on ABC) (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Cameron Yee said:
Hmm...I hope they make Ward an unredeemable character. That would take some guts.
I think he's gotten there at this point. He's directly lied to his superiors, killed people in cold blood and plotted against his team. The last thing for him to do on that road to unredeemablity is to kill a regular character...make it really hurt. Maybe Hand is the closest we get to that. Maybe there's one more twist coming no one knows about yet.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Oh, I don't think he has any feelings for her. And after last night, she doesn't have anything but fear for him. She knows what he's done and exactly why he "wants" her. The last convo in the cockpit of the bus cemeted that in my mind. When she said "you need me to decrypt the harddrive" (or some version thereof) meant she knows now and will be looking for a way to put him down.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I got the same vibe, her smirk was a nice touch, saying "I'm in control now."

But I'm still not entirely sold on the immutability of Ward's motivations, mainly because we don't know where they originated. We just know he "owes Garrett everything." So what happens when Garrett is out of the picture? Or if Garrett betrays him?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
While I think it's unlikely, there was a misdirect in the previews for this week's episode that tried to imply that Ward confessed to Skye when he said he was bad. When she was next shown crying, it implied he leaves. Of course it didn't turn out that way. But perhaps Ward will save Skye at the last minute if Garrett tries to kill her and toss Garrett down a crevasse with his dying last bit of effort in the last episodes. Or Ward gets away after saving Skye and he's on the run as he can never rejoin the agents. :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think Ward is a bad guy who wishes he could be a good guy, but whose personal loyalty outweighs his morality.It's amazing to me how much better Brett Dalton's performance has been since the reveal. Most of this season, I've felt like he was the cardboard cutout character on the crew. It turns out that's because the Grant Ward the team knew really was a cardboard cutout.The real Ward is more complex and interesting.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Adam Lenhardt said:
I think Ward is a bad guy who wishes he could be a good guy, but whose personal loyalty outweighs his morality.It's amazing to me how much better Brett Dalton's performance has been since the reveal. Most of this season, I've felt like he was the cardboard cutout character on the crew. It turns out that's because the Grant Ward the team knew really was a cardboard cutout.The real Ward is more complex and interesting.
Adam,Very insightful. I especially like how you said "It turns out that's because the Grant Ward the team knew really was a cardboard cutout." Provocative.

Michael Fennessy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Fennessy
In trying to research the comics from Marvel, it seems very difficult to find a starting point to read them. I really enjoy the Marvel movies and this show but would like to enhance that with the comics. HTF tends to have experts in all fields wandering the forums so I am just taking a shot that someone may read this and point me in correct direction.

That being said, I almost stopped watching this show at several points early in the season but right now it is the show I most look forward to seeing on my recorded programs on my DVR. Tuesdays can't come soon enough!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Depending on what you're after, you may be better off reading the Handbook to the Marvel Universe, which are encyclopedic entries on all Marvel's characters. Or reading Wikipedia.

[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;]http://amzn.com/0785158316[/color]

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
It's interesting that the look exchanged between Coulson and Ward a couple of weeks ago led us to believe that perhaps Ward was a double agent who had infiltrated Hydra. But now the combination of Ward killing innocent people left and right, and the statement that perhaps Hydra reprogrammed Coulson's mind, has flipped the possible meaning of that look on it's head.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Michael Fennessy said:
In trying to research the comics from Marvel, it seems very difficult to find a starting point to read them. I really enjoy the Marvel movies and this show but would like to enhance that with the comics. HTF tends to have experts in all fields wandering the forums so I am just taking a shot that someone may read this and point me in correct direction.
A problem is that the Marvel movies/tv shows are all over the place in terms of the periods represented in the comic books. Some plots/characters are from the Golden age, some from Silver, some from Bronze, all mixed up in a smorgasbord.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The other thing you could try is to seek out the trade paper publications. These collect a story arc across one line or several lines if it's significant. That's how I do most of my comic reading now, courtesy of my public library.I just finished reading Avengers: Age of Ultron, which I think will have little similarity to the film, but who knows?

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Michael Fennessy said:
So it seems as though I can't pick up issue 1 of anything and start. Bummer
The problem is that some of these characters have been around so long, they've been retconned to death. For example, if you were to start reading Strange Tales, which featured Nick Fury, Agent of Shield, you'd see a caucasian version of Nick Fury wearing an eyepatch and battling HYDRA. Go back a little further, and you find that Nick Fury was the same as the WW2 Sgt. Nick Fury (without the eyepatch) of the mag Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos. Marvel had to retcon Fury to explain how he was the same age during the 60s and 70s as he apparently was during WW2 (this was explained by a plot device of Fury having been given some extended youth serum during the war). Because the movies went with the later African-American version of Nick Fury, this meant they had to dispense with Sgt. Fury of the Howling Commandos when they did Captain America: The First Avenger. So, they became Captain America's Howling Commandos.

There's still a lot of enjoyment to be had reading the Marvel comics versions from different eras. They just won't necessarily line up with what Marvel is doing with the movies and TV shows. The Sgt. Fury mag (originally published in the early 60's) is ridiculously over-the-top, with titles like "Mission: Capture Hitler!". When Marvel decided to resurrect the Captain America character in their Avengers mag, they also included him in an issue of Sgt. Fury since the original Cap fought in WW2. Marvel also brought out a mag called The Invaders, in which they teamed Cap with the Sub-Mariner and the original Human Torch in new stories set in WW2. All three of those characters originally appeared in Golden Age comics during WW2. So, the comics are all over the place, but are a lot of fun.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I've regularly mentioned in this thread that I don't think the show gets the bang for its buck when it comes to its budget. That being said, the set piece with Lola and the plane is one of the more impressive I've seen on television this year.I actually think that Cobie Smulders is more suited to this show's type of dynamic than the more deadly serious role she played in the Marvel movies. She brought just enough of her Robin Scherbatsky comedic timing to Maria Hill in this episode to make her feel a little more fleshed out.And I honestly did not see the reveal with the director of Project T.A.H.I.T.I. coming. Well played. And Clark Gregg's closing "huh." was just perfect.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So, is Skye's refusal to let Ward die going to be the catalyst that gets him to turn back to SHIELD eventually?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Malcolm R said:
So, is Skye's refusal to let Ward die going to be the catalyst that gets him to turn back to SHIELD eventually?
There's also the outside chance that Fury is using Ward as a sleeper. It is completely in-character to have Fury order Ward to kill people (including loyal SHIELD agents) in order to advance whatever game he's playing. At all times in the comics, Fury is working like five different angles, all of them dangerously close to "the line."

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Many fun surprises tonight. I agree the rescue of Skye and the method to escape the plane was cool though there were a couple of questionable CGI shots I thought of the Corvette as it was falling. :) There was another line tonight that keep me wondering about Ward. After Skye was able to get the cops to capture her and Ward at the diner, and she escapes in the police car, Ward yells that she doesn't understand. What was that about? A lie? An attempt to convince her he's not really Hydra?Coulson's last line was nicely delivered. And really nice to be Cobie Smolders back. I hope she becomes more a part of the cast. About the truth about TAHITI, I thought Coulson in the recording was going to say, Nice going Quad! You are not really you, you are me!

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
Adam Lenhardt said:
And I honestly did not see the reveal with the director of Project T.A.H.I.T.I. coming. Well played. And Clark Gregg's closing "huh." was just perfect.
I was going to post the same thing. Gregg gets more out of underplaying than anyone since Seth Green on 'Buffy.' This was my favorite episode of the season, but I am wary about next week's.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
A great episode with lots of surprises and excitement. One of the nice touches about the Lola escape was that when they did land, Skye and Coulson looked messed up. As much as Skye was hating Ward, she couldn't just let him die right there. I am glad she said that she did leave them a surprise on the plane when she decrypted the hard drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks