What's new

S.H.I.E.L.D. (Joss Whedon's Live Action Marvel Universe TV Series on ABC) (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Yeah, on this latest one, I liked the scene where Simmons was getting chewed out and she desperately wanted him to smile and let her know all was forgiven, and you could tell he wanted to give it but refused to send the message that her actions were okay with him. He was relieved she was alive, but had to be the hardass there.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I was a bit surprised by the realistic sound effect when Simmons conked Fitz with the extinguisher. The soft "thud" (as opposed to metallic "clang" that's more common) actually made it seem more painful.
Ejanss said:
I think it's a new record, though, that we had THREE separate scenes in one episode where a character says "I'm so sorry..." before either apprehending him/her unawares or klonking him out so they could make their escape to do what they were told not to do--
One thing about being on this show, you take a polite beating. :unsure:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Easily the best episode yet, and the first one that felt like what I imagined a "S.H.I.E.L.D." TV series to feel like: Global stakes, James Bond-ian plot, secrets and subterfuge, hints about more sinister S.H.I.E.L.D. secrets. I also liked that, while the episode had plenty of cutesy character bits, when it came to crunch time all of the team members demonstrated real competence in their specialized fields.I wonder what happened to Skye as a baby. We know a female S.H.I.E.L.D. agent dropped her off at the orphanage, and that apparently some horrible personal tragedy predated that. Was the agent Melinda May, and is she Skye's mother? Do they go with the comics backstory for Black Widow where she ages at a greatly reduced rate, and it was her that dropped her off? Or was it someone else entirely.It looks like Coulson's not buying his own "Tahiti's a magical place" line anymore. I like the idea that no matter how high you are in S.H.I.E.L.D. there's always stuff you don't have access to.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Skye is my least favorite character, and I found her moral stand rather tiresome even though it did help to save two team members, so I guess she can be forgiven.Fitz is my favorite character, so I did enjoy all of his activities this week.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Adam,

Agreed. An excellent episode for sure. It's interesting that you mention May as possibly being Skye's mother. While watching tonight's episode, I thought Coulson (when relating the orphanage story to Skye) purposely changed the sex of the person who ostensibly dropped her off at the orphange, which made me think that it was really a male (and not her mother). I know this is far-fetched (recalling too that I have very little backstory to go on as I know next to nothing about The Avengers), but I thought for a moment that Coulson might be Skye's father. And Tahiti had me thinking of all kinds of possibilities as well.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
The line about Coulson being a robotic version of himself has to be Whedon et al having a little fun with the audience.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yep. The show keeps improving. I'm definitely finding it enjoyable now. Still plenty of room for improvement, but I think it's getting onto a good path here.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Finally got to this week's episode earlier this evening and I find myself agreeing with Adam regarding the show and its potential. Perhaps the best episode of the season to date. Pleased to see that Fitz and Simmons are being developed more in the last few episodes.

Not too sure about that pouch trick in the middle of the road. A few feet either way to the left or right for that truck and OUCH! Of course, those types of questions are best left unconsidered when watching genre shows.

- Walter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Ever so slowly they're creeping into the superhero lore. I think they've figured out it's what the fans want to see.

Fine episode. And I thought with Coulson's speech about his previous injury, maybe they were going to just leave his resurrection a mystery, but then the end of show bumper quashed that.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Tying it in with the movie opening up last weekend had to always have been in the plan. It was nice that it appeared to fit in seamlessly. (I have not had a chance to see the movie yet.)

Winter Soldier is due to be released on April 4. At least the previews show a big SHIELD connection, so they are probably going to do a big build up near that. It will be quite interesting how they work with that going towards the season finale.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Still think they need to spend some coin and get one of the Avengers to make an appearance....thinking sweeps week.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I actually thought this one was a step in the wrong direction after the previous episode. I thought the reveal with Peter MacNicol was pretty neat -- essentially the mop up crew for Asgard once upon a time -- and the mystery of what Melinda May saw when she grabbed the staff finally made her character a little interesting.But too much poorly-timed too-cute dialogue, most of the characters felt less three-dimensional and the Ward/Skye stuff just grinds the show to a halt.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I really liked Peter MacNicol on Numbers but I had a hard time picturing him as being from the same race as Thor in this episode. :)

An okay episode with some development for Ward and I suppose a glimpse into why he has taken on the role of protector. Not sure where they are going with the material from the end bumper but since it is apparently going to be developed at a glacial pace, I wouldn't mind seeing a break from it for an episode or two.

- Walter.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I actually liked the idea of a less than god like Asguardian. Thor is their king and strongest warrior...he was a stone mason.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Just a quick thought about tonight's episode. It is a bit annoying they are so convinced that the lady cannot have telekinesis....really?!? You have a guy who turns into a giant indestructible rage monster, a super solider and near invincible Norse gods. But, someone with telekinesis is just too outrageous. Sorry, I am not buying it.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Stream of consciousness thoughts...

I enjoyed this episode. It had a good mix of suspense, and humor. Really liked Simmons' laugh at the end of the episode. (Just another thing to like about her character.) Some decent character development for May's character. Kind of felt like a Halloween episode. Some team bonding in the episode. Not bad, not bad at all.

- Walter.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The first half of the episode was pretty rough, and felt too juvenile at times, but I thought it came together in the second half. The May/Ward pairing is a lot more interesting to me than the Skye/Ward pairing, especially because May and Ward don't feel the need to dance around it. The matter-of-factness is a refreshing contrast to the status quo for this show.And damn, Clark Gregg just nails it week after week even when everything else isn't working.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I also like the fact that this show isn't afraid to have fun. So much of serialized TV these days is relentlessly grim and gritty, with obsessed characters. SHIELD is different enough that it's a breath of fresh air. I see a lot of the action adventure shows of the 70s in this, and that's a good thing. I like Arrow too, but that show is pretty grim. TV hasn't been this much fun in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks