What's new

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse (1 Viewer)

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
What do you guys think about them? I went to the one near me recently (Beverly Hills location) and I thought it was quite good.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I've never been to one. But they are building one in my city soon, so as soon as it opens I'll be able to tell you. :)

Bryce_H

Stunt Coordinator
Their good but I like Morton's better. I had an amazing cajun steak at mortons. hmmmm.....steak

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
There's a Morton's here in Burbank, but never got around to trying it- gotta make a trip soon.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
The Arnie Morton's in Beverly Hills (near the Beverly Center) is better than the Burbank one (IMHO).

By the way, I think it's important to be clear we're actually talking about "ARNIE MORTONS" chain of Steakhouses. There is actually a famous LA Restaurant called MORTONS on Melrose (Old school celebrity hang-out and legendary post oscar location).

One of my pet peeves is people in LA calling Arnie Mortons "Mortons" when there is already an established restaurant by that name.

And yes, Arnie is significantly better than Ruth's Chris, IMHO. Although I have only had Ruth's a couple times, I think I'm turned off by any "fine dining establishment" that offers shoestring french fries, lol.

-V

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Ruth's Chris is predictable fine dining, which is the key to franchise success.... But the predictability is also their downfall when compared with smaller local cuisine.

While I prefer Ruth's over Morton's "of Chicago", it doesn't compare with some of our local purveyor's of fine bovine.

If you've never been to Ruth's, you definitely have to try it. If you keep the side dishes to a minimum and don't drink booze/wine, it can be "reasonable".

Enjoy !

Greg Morse

Stunt Coordinator

The Cajun ribeye is the best...steak...ever. With the grilled asparagus for the side. Oh man, thank God for expense accounts.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
You can say that again. I've eaten at Morton's once and that was once too many. I'd never step foot in Ruth's Chris or whatever they call it.

When I go out planning spending the kind of money that these chains want for a dinner, I'll be damned if I'll go to a big corporate chain.

Find a good local restaurant with a real chef instead of some mailed in recipie and resist the "McDonaldization" of expensive food.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

My brother was visiting me so I took him to the Morton's in Crystal City, VA. We had a horrible time. We both ordered the same thing, NY Strip medium rare. He had to return it TWICE because it was near raw. Incidents like that tend to stick in one's mind. As we walked back to my car, he noticed a Ruth's Chris and commented "we should have gone there."

Next time he is in the area, I'll take him to Capital Grille and give it a try.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Too much $$$ for a piece of cow that I can grill better @ home. Unless you have money to burn, I don't see the attraction.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I like Ruth's Chris, but also prefer Arnie Morton's. My favorite steak house is PRIME in the Bellagio in Vegas.

I also like to buy prime steak and cook at home, but it's not a LOT cheaper (prime steak is darned expensive), and I have to clean up...

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I'll chime in with good steak, but way too much $$$. I felt kind of uncomfortable with the "fine dining" but then, I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of gal.

If I want good charred bovine, I have 2 uncles who are certified pyros and love grilling.

And what's with the name? Ruth's Chris?

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

I believe the name was originally "Chris Steakhouse", then Ruth (whatevever her last name is) bought it. Wanting to add her flare, yet keep the original identity, she named it "Ruth's Chris Steakhouse".

Phillip - you really should try it once. While a franchise, it's not that bad.... ;)

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor

I agree. A steak can only be so good. For the kind of money I might spend at Ruth's Chris, I could go to a real fine dining establishment and get food prepared by a real chef.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I have not been to the Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Minneapolis, but when I was on a business trip in New York we went to that location.

That was seriously the best steak i ever had. I didn't even need a steak sauce. We also had an appitizer of shrimp rolled up in bacon and sizzling in a butter sauce, i could of bathed in this stuff it was that good.

I've been to a few places steak places in our area, Timerlodge and Outback, while both are good steaks, they don't compare to Ruth's. A couple years ago we went to a local place called Manny's which is on the scale of Ruth's and i really was not impressed at all. I needed a steak sauce with it, there was just no flavor to the steak and I thought that Timberlodge was a lot better steak then Manny's.

Paul

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

I've been there and enjoyed it. As a matter of fact, I went there a week after my Morton's experience. Great food and service and about half the price.

I only mentioned Capital Grille because I've walked past their Penn Ave location in DC and their aging room can be viewed from the street. Seeing all those great cuts just made me salivate. Eventually I want to try all the great steak places in the DC area. Has any of the NOVA readership been to "Rays the Steaks" in Arlington. I've read glowing reviews in the "Post" and "Washingtonian".

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I haven't been there yet......
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

But right now I can BBQ outside, and my local butcher shop Partlow's sells some of the best cuts of beef I've ever seen (at appropriate prices:eek: ) so I may just DIY.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks