What's new

Running power and wiring soon, any suggestions? (1 Viewer)

I'm getting close to time to run my power and then wire my room. First off, here's what I'm working with-
Room size 17' x 11 1/2'
Projector: Panasonic AE900
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V2500
Speakers: Rocket 750's front (The rest of the 5.1 system is about to be
ordered, also Rockets)

I haven't decided on a screen quite yet. If I were to go with a power screen, I would need an outlet where the screen is mounted for power, right? Any 16x9 power screens you would recommend or avoid?

I also haven't decided on the DVD player. I don't have a huge budget for one right now, I've hear Oppo makes a nice unit for the price. Any $300 or less machines out there worth checking out?

The components will be within 5-8 feet of the Projector, which will be mounted on the back wall.

Will two circuits be enough for the room? One for the equipment and one for the lights? Would I need to run a 15 or 20 amp circuit?

Is it a good idea to have a seperate outlet and switch for the projector so it can be turned off without touching the unit?

Is there anything that needs to be pre-wired for the power screen?

What types of cables and connectors should I make sure I have for the projector and receiver?

One last one. What would be the best way to wire for a video game console? The components are all a bit behind the seating area, so the cords for controllers would be coming from behind my head and would be stretched too far. Wireless controllers would probably be best, but has anybody ever run wiring to the side wall beside the seating area or somewhere like that so a video game console could plug into it? I guess that the necessary hook up varies from one game system to the next, so that might not work unless you had the same system forever. Any ideas here are appreciated.

So anyway, I'll stop asking so many questions. Thanks for looking if you made it this far and double thanks if you have any words of advice for me!

Thanks,
Brian

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
If you want a motorized screen you need an outlet for it. If the screen is a flush mount you will want the outlet in the attic. If it is a surface mount it can be on the ceiling. I have a friend who bought a surface mounted screen and then built a soffit around it it to get the same effect as a flush mount. Don't forget to run a wire so you can use a 12v signal to trigger teh screen to raise and lower. This signal could come from the projector or a reciever/preamp. I would use a 20 AMP circuit for the electronics and a 15 for the lighting. You will probably want multiple switch legs. Don't put a projector on a switch as you will always want to power it off using the remote or power button as it needs to cool itself off before it turns off.

Don.l

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
Running power and wiring soon, any suggestions?
I'm getting close to time to run my power and then wire my room. First off, here's what I'm working with-
Room size 17' x 11 1/2'
Projector: Panasonic AE900
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V2500
Speakers: Rocket 750's front (The rest of the 5.1 system is about to be
ordered, also Rockets)

I haven't decided on a screen quite yet. If I were to go with a power screen, I would need an outlet where the screen is mounted for power, right? Any 16x9 power screens you would recommend or avoid?

I can't speak for everyone here, but I have an elite screen. www.elitescreens.com. I know some people will say negative about them, but I think it's a great picture. They have motorized screens and everything they give you is really nice.

I also haven't decided on the DVD player. I don't have a huge budget for one right now, I've hear Oppo makes a nice unit for the price. Any $300 or less machines out there worth checking out?

Can't say much about that right now. I would say that if you want to upgrade the DVD player, consider waiting a few months and get an HD DVD player. I say wait so that the prices will drop.

The components will be within 5-8 feet of the Projector, which will be mounted on the back wall.

Will two circuits be enough for the room? One for the equipment and one for the lights? Would I need to run a 15 or 20 amp circuit?

Is it a good idea to have a seperate outlet and switch for the projector so it can be turned off without touching the unit?

That's a great idea. That's what I did.

Is there anything that needs to be pre-wired for the power screen?

What types of cables and connectors should I make sure I have for the projector and receiver?

I would def. run component and HDMI cables. Bluejeans make good cables. You could make your own component cables.

One last one. What would be the best way to wire for a video game console? The components are all a bit behind the seating area, so the cords for controllers would be coming from behind my head and would be stretched too far. Wireless controllers would probably be best, but has anybody ever run wiring to the side wall beside the seating area or somewhere like that so a video game console could plug into it? I guess that the necessary hook up varies from one game system to the next, so that might not work unless you had the same system forever. Any ideas here are appreciated.

Personally I would just do the wireless thing. All of the next gen machines (xbox 360, ps3, revolution) are going to be wireless. So, if you are going to keep older systems then just go wireless, and buy controllers that will accept rechargeable batteries.

So anyway, I'll stop asking so many questions. Thanks for looking if you made it this far and double thanks if you have any words of advice for me!

Post some pics of your work!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks