What's new

Run For Your Life (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Just wondering guys, who must I write to regarding this show? Many of you are a lot more knowledgable than me about rights holders, etc. This is my top grail show and I really don't understand it's absence in the release market. Right off the top of my head, the only other color hour long 60's drama unreleased that ran 3 seasons or more is Name Of The Game (90 minutes). I'm not counting High Chapparal as it's been released overseas.
It just doesn't make much sense to me. Gazzara is well known, if for no other reason, than he played the villianous Brad Wesley in the iconic cult film Roadhouse. I know there are prints available as it ran fro several years in the early 90's on WOR out of New York and recently had regular slot on one of the retro channels (can't remember which one). I recorded the whole run of 85 eps from WOR back in 90 but they are beginning to disintegrate. I really need them replaced.
Just outta curiosity, what is the general concensus among you guys as to whether it has a shot of ever being released?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I don't have any special guess as to whether it will be released, but the rights are held by Universal, as are those of The Name of the Game. (I do know that some independent labels were considering licensing The Name of the Game and that there were usable elements, although some of the working prints of the episodes were on tape and some on 16mm.)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
sure, it will. it was a big show, and unlike some shows, it's basic theme is something that would always be interesting to people.

put that on my "to be released list" !!!

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
Run For Your Life is also number one in my 'most wanted' list. I have the full recorded set -86 episodes, plus the pilot- but it's also in bad shape and would love an official release. A wonderful series: It's a great drama with Gazzara doing a tour the force, but, like Route 66, It has the additional ingredient of not being stuck to one formula: each episode can literally go anywhere -Africa, Europe, etc.- and, besides the underlying sad theme of a dying man trying to live to its fullest- it can turn into a comedy, a police or court drama or even a spy series.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
If anyone has the episodes taped from WWOR satellite service, I would say keep it and transfer it to DVD. Not sure I understand about tapes "disintegrating" as I have Beta and VHS tapes that are 35 years old that play like they were recorded yesterday. But WWOR ran the show complete or close to it. From what I understand, there was never anything but mild interest in doing anything with the show and split rights (Universal and Roncom) made it too problematic to be worth the effort. Unlike say The Fugitive for instance, it really has had very limited availability over the last few decades, never ran on a national cable service and just hasn't been that visible.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You'd think an anthology show like that would hold up pretty well. I remember watching it when it first aired, and recently saw an episode on retro station, but I can't remember - was it actually shot on locations like Route 66 or I Spy? Or just studio lot subbing for locations?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Hollywoodaholic said:
You'd think an anthology show like that would hold up pretty well. I remember watching it when it first aired, and recently saw an episode on retro station, but I can't remember - was it actually shot on locations like Route 66 or I Spy? Or just studio lot subbing for locations?
Typical Universal back lot shooting. Stock footage for exotic cities but all shot on the sound stage. Similar to Man From UNCLE for instance.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Neil Brock said:
Typical Universal back lot shooting. Stock footage for exotic cities but all shot on the sound stage. Similar to Man From UNCLE for instance.
I remember when this and Kraft Suspense Theatre were both running regularly on RTV a few years ago that the same intro shots of a guy driving a baby-blue convertible into an "anytown USA" backlot were used for Kraft's episode "My Enemy, This Town", and Run for Your Life's episode "The Face of the Antagonist", except that the driver was supposed to be Ben Gazzara the second time. I only noticed because I saw both episodes within the span of a week and the car and backlot were both noteworthy.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I guess it's just a terrible feeling to know that your #1 all time fav show will never get released. Simplistic remark, but very true.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Frank Soyke said:
I guess it's just a terrible feeling to know that your #1 all time fav show will never get released. Simplistic remark, but very true.
Don't give up the ship Frank! This past Wednesday I found out that one of my "Holy Grail" Shows, Ripcord, will be out on DVD just in time for my Birthday. :dancing-banana-04: I've taken the liberty to Pre-order it from "The Big River". :biggrin:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks