What's new

Rumor: Remastered Rocky and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly on the way (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Any news on a release date for The Man With No Name 4K blu ray set?

An extras list would be nice to see too.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm still treating this as a rumour until we get a press release. Amazon US says it the trilogy & Amazon Europe says it's just the one film. When it's released, if it's a big improvement on the rotten Blu we have, I'll buy it...at a sensible price.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am still sitting on the sidelines as well.

I was given the Man With No Name Trilogy set as a gift.

To this day, it has never been opened, despite the fact I love
TGTB&TU.

I just don't wish to watch an inferior presentation.

I am happy to see a remaster was done, but not particularly
happy that it means having to buy the entire set just go get the
one remastered copy.

Of course, wait it out till year's end and both ROCKY and
TGTB&TU should be available as singles.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
There is no English mono track for the extended edition, since it was only released in Italy. So a "remastered" mono track might mean they've taken the English mono from the theatrical cut and then re-done the 5.1 only parts from the extended version to mono so it matches up. I'd say things are looking pretty good we'll get the proper sound effects back etc.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, I bit on this and pre-ordered, as I was able to sell my copy of the Trilogy for enough that this upgrade will only cost me about $10. I am not happy about the news that it may once again be the extended cut, though. Those scenes add nothing to the film, and the re-dubbed dialogue in those scenes really takes me out of the moment.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
There's an easy solution for those who don't want to buy a box set to get one film: import the UK release. I think the steelbook has been cancelled but there should still be a regular release coming. Making people spend good money on something they already own is a crappy thing to do.

JWPlatt

Grip
Real Name
Jonathan
I have the Sergio Leone Anthology (DVD - 2007). You folks seems displeased with the Trilogy release. Do you speak of the 2010 trilogy release? From the looks of it on Amazon with the same cover, did they just drop DYS? I was okay with the dubs and added scenes because I'm more of a completist than one who demands theatrical cuts (except the original Star Wars - I want the unrevised original there). It looks like they took a lot of care on the Anthology with technical work and commentary. So what went wrong in your eyes?

The title of "The Man With No Name Trilogy" makes it sound like they are the US versions trimmed by the studio for their Man With No Name marketing stunt that removed his name from the dialog. Does this Trilogy release do that? I wouldn't be happy if that was the case.

Off-topic, is there a discussion anywhere on these forums about Clint Eastwood's comments that he was displeased with how much was removed from Kelley's Heroes, saying "MGM had made additional cuts to Hutton's final version of the film, eliminating scenes that gave depth to the main characters." I'd like to see Kelly's Heroes with all that footage restored, but I've never seen any mention whatsoever that it still exists.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Brandon Conway said:
My complete guess is that it'll arrive close to Father's Day. Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk
Thanks! That seems like a logical release date.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a bit more information and promotion of the release by the studio!

I sold my blu ray set as well and have preordered the new set along with Two Mules For Sister Sarah (which is out in April).

I have The Good The Bad and The Ugly SE on DVD as well.

Hoping for restoration prints on all 3 of the films. It would be nice for them to confirm that they are 4K scanned prints of all 3 films as well.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Is there a good book about the making of the Man With No Name trilogy of films?

mike--

Stunt Coordinator
The version of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly now showing on Netflix looks like it could be the 4K version. The image is much more sharper than the current Blu Ray.

DSmith1984

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
mike-- said:
The version of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly now showing on Netflix looks like it could be the 4K version. The image is much more sharper than the current Blu Ray.

Doubtful because all the damage marks from the previous editions are still in the image. Now that doesn't necessarily mean this isn't the new "4K" image in that the resolution is much higher but if it is, then it means practically no remastering work was actually done beyond rescanning the film at a higher resolution.

Osato said:
Is there a good book about the making of the Man With No Name trilogy of films?
"Once Upon A Time In Italy " by Sir Christopher Frayling covers the Dollars Trilogy as well as OUATITW and Duck You Sucker. It's a great read and contains some wonderful interviews, photos and poster art.

DSmith1984

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Isn't that book basically a reprinting of his book "Something To Do With Death" but under a new title?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks