What's new

Rumor: BluRay deck to be $299 on Jan 28th (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
If this does happen.....It'll be hard to pass up but I'll still wait for the BD-50 (if it's fully functional and cheap enough).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Interesting that someone over there mentioned (w/ link) that Sony is looking for engineers to work on emulation for the PS2 (and other PS formats). Maybe my PS3/40GB will eventually have some backward compatibility w/ PS2 games afterall -- not that it matters much to me since I don't have any PS2 games. :D

_Man_

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I just ordered a 40GB PS3 yesterday. Why does this not surprise me?

I wonder if SonyStyle has a 30-day price guarantee.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
BTW, Sam, why didn't you mention PS3 in the thread title? :D

Unfortunately for me, even if SonyStyle has a 30-day price guarantee, I'll probably just miss the cutoff.

_Man_

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I plan to buy a 40gig tomorrow from BB with a 20% off coupon. Either way, I'll get the price difference being that it will drop within the next month of me buying it if it ends up less then with my coupon.

WojtekZ

Grip

I remember reading elsewhere that the 20% of coupon excludes the PS3. Some have apparently gotten away with it but most not.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Not according to the coupon. It only states the Pioneer Elite and the XBox360 as being excluded. The PS3 is listed no where on the coupon and it does say "all" Blu-ray players. There's no grounds printed in black and white saying I can't get the PS3 at 20% off. Yeah, I'll raise hell if I need to.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I tried and tried, went all the way to the top BB guy this morning, no dice. Oh well, I still bought one. If the price cut happens I'll just bring in my receipt and get the difference. I picked up Uncharted: Drake's Fortune for my first game to play.

After talking with my bro at BB he said he's read the rumors on the price drop but nothing offical from BB. The only thing he showed me is that the free movies / games that come with the PS3's are getting pulled out.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It was worth a shot but videogame console margins are pretty low (probably $15-$30) so ain't no way they were going to lose $80 on a 40GB PS3.

JackKay

Second Unit
Sony, right now, is having a wonderful time. It used the Trojan Horse strategy to put millions of Blu-ray players into homes by riding on the wave of their new gaming system. Now it is reversed. The PS3 is the least expensive full profile Blu-ray player on the market and probably will be for the next 6 to 12 months. Their getting their gaming machine into peoples homes because it is the best bang-for-your-buck Blu-ray player. It's two for one for Sony.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Is Uncharted: Drake's Fortune really that much fun (and is it 1080i/p)? I think Crawdaddy(?) or some other mod mentioned it before as the only game he plays on his PS3. Maybe I'll actually give it a try at some point. I only bought the PotC 3 game for my son as sort of a token (1080i/p) game for our PS3 -- the family still mainly plays the old XBox in general though I rarely touch it myself.

_Man_

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I know the 40 gig PS3 doesn't have the PS2 hardware chip like the 60 gig did, but what about software emulation for PS2 games?

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

The original PS3s essentially had PS2s built into them. They had both the PS2's processor and graphics chip for backwards compatibility. The current BC models dropped the processor and made up for it with software emulation, but they still have the graphics chip. The 40gig has neither pieces of hardware.

It's suggested that Sony could emulate both for full software compatibility, but it would very difficult. Anything is possible though, and it is known that Sony is currently hiring "Compatibility Engineers" for the PS3--whatever that means.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks