What's new

Rude neighbor control. (1 Viewer)

MFK54

Auditioning
Real Name
Mary Keefer
Had neighbors move into townhouse next door a year ago. They came from a much larger home. Problem...huge tv with surround sound system. Present home has row of cinderblock and one course Sheetrock separation. They had their sound up so loud I couldn't use my living room, bedroom or patio. I approached them in a civil manner with the request that they moderate the sound level. This was met with screams and threats...and later with harassment, sending teenagers to invade my property banging on doors late at night, piling dog poop from 120 lb. dog under the rear divider in 100 degrees of heat, making comments whenever I went out in my yard, etc. Wife would turn on full system at 5 pm and wouldn't turn it off until 9 am. My house (only 20 feet wide) was vibrating and sound seemed to be coming out of the attic and basement as well as thru the walls and floors. Houses were built in 1975. Determined that they had hung the real surround sound speakers on shared wall along with subwoofer being against wall on the floor. No use speaking to them again. Once, I banged on the wall at 2 am when the sounds of a war battle knocked e out of bed...they turned it still louder. I had a surround sound system gotten as a gift which I had never installed. Wired the system up with tuner, put subwoofer against the shared wall and turned the sound only to a level where their noise was no longer entering my home. If they went louder....so did I. Also put foam over side speaker of subwoofer to keep t quieter on my side. Can only turn my little audio defense off when they are not home. It works very well and I am able to sleep....my poor dog as well. Can't hear output in my house much, but your own noise is always easier to take. Know neighbor has gotten message...they cut down bushes in my front garden couple days ago. That's another story. Night vision cameras going up! I am over 60, but you can't push me around!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Call the police and complain. And welcome to HTF!

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
I agree, time to get the police involved. Try to catch them " in the act " each time. Eventually the police will get tired of responding to noise complaints and issue some citations.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The police cannot issue a citation for the noise problem. A complaint would have to be signed by the caller or another one of the residents. And yes, whoever signs the complaint needs to go to court.

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
Not true, when I lived in San Diego, some neighbors were having parties every week. They issued them citations for multiple violations including excessive noise. What the police said was: if you can hear the noise outside of the dwelling as you approach, it's considered a city ordinance code.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Brainwasher said:
Not true, when I lived in San Diego, some neighbors were having parties every week. They issued them citations for multiple violations including excessive noise. What the police said was: if you can hear the noise outside of the dwelling as you approach, it's considered a city ordinance code.
Well, with any luck, the town where Mary lives has a similiar ordinance. BUT from what I'm reading, the noise wouldn't be heard from outsude anyway.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Are your neighbors owners or renting? If renting complain to the owner. Since they are townhomes is there any HOA? Check to see if it governs any noise or "good neighbor" issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks