What's new

Ruby-Spears Programs Not Likely to Ever See a Release (1 Viewer)

ClassicTVFan1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Benjamin Edge
While we have hopes that WB Entertainment will get its Classic Collection division act together and release certain Ruby-Spears programs (the bulk of which is under technical ownership of Turner Entertainment since 1990) produced from 1978-91, there are several R-S programs that will probably never see the light of day on DVD (at least not from WBE):

*Rubik the Amazing Cube (ABC, 1983-1984)
Reason: The show is based off of the popular toy, Rubik's Cube, with the title song sung by Puerto Rican boy-band Menudo.
*Saturday Supercade (CBS, 1983-1985)
Reason: Numerous video game licenses.
**Both Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong, Jr. are copyrighted by Nintendo of America, Inc.
**Kangaroo is copyrighted by Sun Electronics (licensed in the USA to Atari, Inc.)
**Space Ace is copyrighted by Don Bluth Productions
**Pitfall is copyrighted by Activision
**Q*bert is copyrighted by Sony Pictures Entertainment (technically Columbia Pictures; nee D. Gottlieb & Company/Mylstar Electronics)
*Dragon's Lair (ABC, 1984-1985)
Reason: Like Space Ace, this was based off of a game of the same name, which is another copyright of Don Bluth Productions.
*Lazer Tag Academy (NBC, 1986-1987)
Reason: Another toy license. Worlds of Wonder was the manufacturer of the original toy line, but they went belly up since. Who owns the Lazer Tag trademark now?
*Chuck Norris' Karate Kommandos (syndication, 1986-1987)
Reason: Chuck Norris himself.

Perhaps, it may also be due to certain legal squabbles from Messrs. R. and S. themselves. What do you think???

~Ben

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I don't think Ken and Joe really have any say in the matter, though I'm sure they're not happy about it. Think of it: they worked at Hanna-Barbera for Taft Broadcasting over the years, then finally decide to strike out on their own with Filmways as their partner, manage to provide serious competition, then Filmways backs out and who buys out their animation studio but Taft Broadcasting, the same people they were trying to get away from. Talk about "FACE!"

Really, though, are we missing anything from not having those titles on DVD? Those were kinda the nadir of Saturday Morning toons.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
The only Ruby-Spears program I'm anticipating on DVD is the 1988 Superman series. I have no doubt that it will be released eventually, considering Warner is releasing nearly every DC Comics superhero animated series (be it Filmation, Hanna Barbera, etc.).

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Come on, its just about the entire run of the series, minus 1 measly cartoon, its 99.9 percent complete !This I beleive, is the only ruby spears on dvd, unless your counting the soon to be released, richie rich !!!!

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Yes I know its HB,but I couldve sworn at the end credits, there was always a ruby spears logo .Of course, maybe thats my fuzzy memory from over 20 years ago , playing tricks on me.

Daniel-C

Stunt Coordinator

Hasbro owns the rights to Lazer Tag. The only RS cartoon I know they'll probably make for DVD would be Thundarr The Barbarian.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
The "RICHIE RICH" confusion might stem from the fact that in its second season, HB Richie Rich episodes were paired up with a new RS series, "GOLDIE GOLD & ACTION JACK," and each show would have its own closing credits, so you would see both a Ruby-Spears and a Hanna-Barbera logo at the end of the show.

ClassicTVFan1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Benjamin Edge

Not to mention that Goldie Gold was conceived as the feminine equivalent of Richie Rich (Richie generally appealed to the male audience, so when Taft bought RS, they came up with Goldie for the feminine audience) at the time. But, technically, Richie Rich was still with Scooby and Scrappy-Doo, right?

todd s

Senior HTF Member

I too hope they release the Superman series. Has their been any rumors of t coming out?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks