1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

RT2600 Dolby Digital Mode

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DonCathcart, Nov 15, 2003.

1. DonCathcart

DonCathcart Member

Hi all

First time caller/first time listener! Sorry,just had to say that.

Anyway, I recently bought an RCA home theatre package that has the RCA RT2600 for the reciver, very nice I must say! I am having trouble getting the reciever to go into Dolby Digital 5.1 mode.

I have a Toshiba DVD player and I am using a Coaxial output cable to connect the DVD to the reciever. I then select DVD/Coaxial input on the reciever, but all I seem to be able to choose from for modes is Stereo, Pro Logic or Dolby Pro Logic 2. I have selected Digital 5.1 sound on the DVD movie,Top Gun, I am using to test the system.

Oh, also, the remote doesn't seem to be able to control the reciever volume level when I have VCR/Anal selected. All the other modes, I can control the volume.

Thanks for any help you pro's can give me.

Don "home theatre newbie" Cathcart

2. Albert M

Albert M Well-Known Member

Go into your dvd players menu and select digital out, then make sure Dolby Digital reads "bitstream" and DTS reads "yes" or "on". Welcome to the htf.

3. DonCathcart

DonCathcart Member

Thanks!

After posting this message I discovered that my DVD audio output was set to PCM and according to the RT2600 manual, even with Digital input selected, all I would get is Pro Logic.

I had the DVD output set to PCM since before now, I just had a Pro Logic reciever.

Man, does Top Gun ever sound sweet now!!

If I could only get my remote to control the volume of the reciever when in VCR/Analog source. Ideas?

Thanks again.
    Don

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Well-Known Member

Don: I've never used the remote that you would have received with your setup. Still, most system remote controls allow the user (you) to assign what device's volume will be controlled when in another device control mode.

Look for instructions in your manual about your remote's setup. Most allow you to assign volume and mute function from the TV or receiver to other modes, such as DVD, VCR Cable, etc. This would be the answer you're looking for. If your remote does not allow the volume to be re-assigned, then you're outta luck...

5. DonCathcart

DonCathcart Member

Thanks,

I must admit, the manual that comes with the home theatre package is very sparse when it comes to describing the remote's various buttons. The major buttons and functions are covered but not all. It would have been nice to have included a seperate manual or an expanded one on the remote in more detail.

All is not lost though, as we bought an RCA universal remote earlier in the day before we bought the home theatre. The other remote is better suited I find.

Thanks for the help