1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

RSC Nicholas Nickleby (Region 2)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Howard S, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Howard S

Howard S Well-Known Member

Shortly after the UK Channel 4 televison channel launched in the early 80's, they showed a 9-hour Royal Shakespeare Company stage production of Nicholas Nickleby. If I remember rightly, the production was shown over 3 or 4 nights.

This production really made an impression on me...at the time I thought that everything about it, the adaptation, the characterisations, the acting, the settings, the music, was just perfect. It was even in Stereo!

According to Virgin's Megastore UK website, a DVD of the production is scheduled for release on 25th August.

I've been thinking about buying the Region 1 version of this production which has already been released, but have been put off because it appears that this is based on a PBS re-edit, which reputedly removed and shortened some of the scenes, removed incidental music, and cut the play into 'artificial' 1 hour slots, rather than the intended Acts.

Does anyone know whether the forthcoming R2 DVD is truer to the original broadcast?

2. andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy Well-Known Member

3. Howard S

Andrew,

I think you're right about the re-run combining some of the original episodes, although I have a vague idea that the first airing was shown in 4 episodes, over 4 weekends, and the re-run ran the combined episodes over 2 or 3 consecutive nights. Like your parents, my parents videotaped the re-run, onto Betamax....however their machine has long since bitten the dust.

I suppose the picture on the R1 DVD may have suffered in the conversion from PAL to NTSC, so the R2 DVD picture should hopefully be an improvement. And I certainly agree with you that it's a shame about the sound - my parents bought a NICAM TV shortly after they were introduced, and I fed the audio line outputs through their hifi system - my recollection is that NN sounded great!

Whichever company is issuing this DVD, I hope that they care enough to do a proper job!

4. Howard S

5. andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy Well-Known Member

Howard, thanks for the info. Interestingly, it states there that the production was:

6. NY2LA

NY2LA Well-Known Member

So many years later the question remains: Has anyone in the US found a DVD that is NOT chopped up into nine parts?
    I noticed the unchopped version (four parts) was shown and there was some kind of reunion in UK in the last year or so. So we know at least somebody has it.

7. galenfott

galenfott New User

Galen
    I enjoyed this thread, and thought I would share my blog post which analyzes the various versions of Nickleby, from stage to broadcast to VHS to DVD:

http://blogfott.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-rscs-nicholas-nickleby-from-stage.html

The one thing I'm missing is the Channel 4 broadcast; it would be interesting to know if it differed from the US, and if so, how. Can anyone provide me with a copy?