What's new

RPTV mirror cleaner ? (1 Viewer)

WilliamB

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings:

I have an old (bit still rockin) Toshiba TW56X81. While cleaning the dust, etc from the CRT lenses and first surface mirror (got real dusty during a move out of state) I accidentally smeared some sort of a sticky substance from around the mirror mounts onto the mirror. Of course I did not notice this until it was all over the middle of the mirror. I've tried CRT monitor cleaners, straight rubbing alcohol and various ammonia-heavy glass cleaners but it refuese to come completely off - a slight haze is left and you know what that does to the projected image......

I just heard of two cleaners - ROR (ror.net) and from Edmunds Scientific - Tech Spec lens cleaner. Does anyone have any recommendations for these or another product?

any advice greatly appreciated!

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I am suggesting to not use any elbow grease when cleaning first surface mirrors, otherwise you may buff the surface and make it permanently hazy.

The most you should do is rub very gently, that is, without pressing hard, while a puddle of the fluid is on the mirror. (Of course you need to have the mirror dismounted and horizontal facing up.)

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks