What's new

RP82 Replacement... (1 Viewer)

Matt Amato

Stunt Coordinator
So, after 2 years and plenty of use my RP82 died with what I found out is a well known problem (the H02 error). :frowning: While I would love to hear that someone has a magical fix for the issue, I know that what I really need to do is start investigating a new DVD player purchase. While I know there is no real "replacement" model for the RP82, I'm looking for suggestions for something comparable in the $150-$250 range. I'm almost 100% movie guy, so image quality is my main concern. Any ideas?

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Matt,

If you are lucky you might be able to snag an unopened Panasonic XP30 on Ebay. I think for the most part the internals are the same. Thankfully, they fixed the motor mechanism from what I have read, so it should hold up longer than your RP82 did. The only downside is that it only has optical digital out (I usually use coax) and it doesn't support DVD-A like the RP82 did. Other than that, it is basically the same internals.

Good luck!

Matt Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not happy with exactly what I asked for (a comparable unit to the RP82). So let me further elaborate. All I really need right now is a DVD player with digital out (optical or coaxil) and superb picture. I don't care about SACD or DVD Audio for the time being. It's strictly for movies. I would even consider something sub-$100 if it will meet these simple requirments. Does anyone have experience with the Toshiba 3960. It's dirt cheap ($50) but I've heard its really good for budget players. How does it compare to more expensive players in terms of picture quality. Something tells me that can't really compare. Comments?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
It's a flag reading player and not motion adaptive at all.

This player:
http://www.extremephono.com/Oppo_DV971.htm

Is generating LOTS Of great buzz over at AVS.
Faroudja Deinterlacer
Mediatek chipset

Hardly a layer change, super fast navigation.
DVD-A being put in soon via firmware update.

2 flaws on it:
Won't remember which resolution you set if you use DVI
Stretch mode issue with 4x3 discs.

Both being fixed via firmware updates.

I usually don't trust the little chinese players like this but this one appears to have what the others didn't offer.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Try opening up the 82 and giving the disc a little push start when it's trying to spin up to play the disc. This fixed mine for several months. I then picked up a new spindle motor from pioneer for about $35 and paid someone to install it. It was well worth the money as there still aren't many players that top the 82.

MichaelOD

Stunt Coordinator
You'll be hard pressed to find a new "budget player" w/ the raw performance of the RP82 @ your price points. The RP82 is/was a once in an electronic life - cycle miracle :D

Matt Amato

Stunt Coordinator
Greg, I'll give your suggested "push start" a try tonight when I get home. Also, do you know if I can still order the part like you did? If you could get me the information you had that would allow me to order exactly what I needed, that would be awesome. I would consider just ordering the part and either having someone install it, or attempt to install it myself. The worst part of all this is, I've been saving up for a new receiver (the one me and my roomates use is on its way out) and the last thing I wanted to do was spend money on a new DVD player.

Matt

Jer_S

Auditioning
I just had the same issue last week. I was right in the middle of Open Water when it shut down and got teh H02 error. I found a really good thread that discusses this same issue on the AVS forums. Unfortunately, I don't have the URL at work. I can post later. I guess the parts are about $35 or so, but you would need to put them in. From what I read it is 1 of 2 problems. Either the spindle or the optical pickup.

I have been looking at universal players anyway, so I was thinking about the Denon 2200, if Ecost ever has them as b-stock again.

I was able to take the cover off and do the push start trick. Just make sure you push start the white spindle and not the disc itself. So far this week it has been working okay without the need to push start it.

-Jerry

Matt Amato

Stunt Coordinator
So I've been doing some searching around and I am really leaning towards trying to push-start it, and in either case, ordering a replacement spindle motor and optics (part # RXQ1218KIT ) from Panasonic. I don't have the service manual, but I've heard people have done the installation themselves. I wonder if I order the part and bring it to a local store if I could get them to install it for me for under $50 or so.

greg_t

Screenwriter

Give the push start a try. I did this and mine was still spinning up after a couple of months. I did get the new part before it failed. The 1218KIT is the correct part number. However the 1218KIT is the spindle motor only.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I have an SDI modded rp82 that I use with the HOLO3d scaler so when I got that famous error I had a bird.

My local little electronics shop here in Toronto said the lense needed to be cleaned and while I have it open I'll change the spindle motor because its almost 3yrs old.

$72cdn, parts and labour. Even though I'm Straight, I kissed him on the cheek.

Find someone to do it.

One of the most expensive Botique shops in Toronto told me the story of the RP82. Apparantly Faroudga sent Panny a much better DCDI chip than they had ordered by mistake. He said the closest player in quality is $4000.00

Peter m.

matt-f

Second Unit
Just to make sure.

"H02" is a grey area because it could mean spindle motor or optical or both since the SVC Manual doesn't specify the fault. So as Greg said, perform the push start to verify if it is the motor.

The way to test for optical is to perform the DVD laser test and see the readings. Also if it has trouble reading discs (which can also lead to "no play", that's the other indication.

"H07" is a spindle motor failure.

You can buy the kit and replace it, but in certin cases if the unit's calibration is off enough(since the unit was calibrated for the previous part), the unit could have trouble reading. The worst case is that it doesn't read making the user think the unit is really gone.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Matt
If your a DIY guy whose very comfortable around electronics and you have a cheap source for parts. You probably also have atest bench and the copes and tools to check and modify spin timings and all and of course you warranty you own work.

If not PLEASE DON'T SCREW WITH THIS ONE IN A LIFETIME PLAYER!!! Find a good local tech (I always seem to find Chinese ones who are tireless and meticulous) who has seen this type of problem before and let him do it a guarantee it for 30 or 90 days. If it works right away it will probably work until the same thing burns out.

I'm not trying to insult anyone, but this is a very special player.

Did you know that it up rezes cd's to 88.2 from 44.1. as well as playing dvd-a.
HOWEVER, in the manual it also says something about that which may be frustrating. It says to check you processor/reciever to see if it accepts 88.2 because although many accept 96 not all will do 88.2.

I found this out by accident when I put in a cd and saw the face of my Denon go PCM 88.2. I looked in my 5800's owners manual and as bad as it is it said nothing about doing 88.2. I then looked at the upgrade sheet when I had the 5800 upgraded to about 95% 5803 status and thats where the 88.2 was installed.

Peter m.

Matt Amato

Stunt Coordinator
So I dropped the unit off today at a local specialty shop. I told them which error I was getting and that I was pretty sure it was the spindle motor or the optics. They seemed to be pretty confident that they would be able to fix it no problem. I should have it in within two weeks (I'm expecting a call next week with the full estimate). I love my RP-82 and I'm glad it looks like I'll continue to make use of this awesome player.

Matt

matt-f

Second Unit
peter,

I don't have those equipment but I repaired all my units - RP82 units, RP56 and 91 since I know how to fix them. I also have multiple of the same units as well. I've also calibrated/tweaked my units up for optimum read performance.

greg_t

Screenwriter
If you have a display with a great deinterlacer, the 91 can be just as good as the 82. The 82's progressive out is better due to the faroudja chip, but otherwise they are pretty equal. I love the 91's ability to scale non-anamaphoric DVD's and that it is more adjustable than the 82. When watching a scaled non-anamaphoric dvd I'll often use the special sharpness adjustments to give the image a little more kick. It works great for non-anamaphoric.

Matt, I think you're doing right by fixing the 82. With HD-DVD titles announced just announced, I can't see spending big bucks on players at this point.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Now I'm wondering how the 480i output of my Technics DVD-A10 measures up..... (display is an Infocus X1)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks