What's new

rope lights - silly question (1 Viewer)

Kamil_k

Grip
Finally got a stage built and decided to cover a full-length strip of material that did not take well to trim with a 12' rope light. I would like this light to be on before/after the movie but not during, as I think it would cause too much direct glare (anyone watching the screen with a rope light on? I haven't seen this yet but imagine it would be a hindrance).
So, how could I easily control the rope light without walking over and pulling/inserting the plug? This is made especially awkward due to the plug-in being behind some curtains, in turn behind the stage. Any ideas?

Kamil_k

Grip
Pics are coming. Carpet is being installed today!

Thanks for the X10 idea; went over to their site but not sure about the details on some of their prods. Will give them a call later today. Looks like it might work; I would also like to put the dimmer for the sconces on a remote; maybe I will buy more than I thought!
edit: saw the SmartHome site after posting above. Will look at them too. You guys are too cool!

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Cheaper is from Home Depot. Two things come to mind:

1. "Switch Anywhere" - a small (~5/8" thick) 'false' 'decora' light switch that is an RF transmitter to a relay outlet. Selectable, two channels. RF, so there's no line-of-sight issues. About $15, I think. Downside: it's ON/OFF, no dim, fade, or anything like that.

2. "Commercial Electic" infrared dimmer-switch. You find a place to install the 'switch' - mine is in a blue electrical box stuffed into a hole cut into the drop ceiling. A momentary push toggles between 'preset' and 'off' - about a 5-second fade for full on to full off. If you press-and-hold, it'll fade up or down (depending it's position) and when you let go, if it was going up, it's your new preset.

It is an infrared remote, has two 'channels' - that is, the remote has two buttons (a and b) and there's a switch on the dimmer-box itself. One remote'll cover two channels; all the 'intelligence' is in the box itself. I haven't tried, but I suspect that a standard learning remote can learn the signals. This also cost, I think, about $15.

Leo Kerr

Trace Ahlers

Stunt Coordinator
I found a product at my local Fred Meyer store made by GE.
You plug the unit into the wall and then the rope light (or any other light source) into it. It comes with a small RF remote that lets you turn it on & off. Less than 20 dollars and a very simple solution. I keep the remote velcro'd to the bottom of my table
Hope this helps.

Trace Ahlers

Stunt Coordinator
I found a product at my local Fred Meyer store made by GE.
You plug the unit into the wall and then the rope light (or any other light source) into it. It comes with a small RF remote that lets you turn it on & off. Less than 20 dollars and a very simple solution. I keep the remote velcro'd to the bottom of my table
Hope this helps.

Scott A. Pope

Stunt Coordinator
In all seriousness, similar to Trace's suggestion... Radio Shack carries the X-10 line of RF transmitters and remotes. The remote Trace speaks of sounds like the same thing, you can even dim with the small X-10 units. The remotes are a little bit bigger than a car keychain remote.

Scott A. Pope

Stunt Coordinator
In all seriousness, similar to Trace's suggestion... Radio Shack carries the X-10 line of RF transmitters and remotes. The remote Trace speaks of sounds like the same thing, you can even dim with the small X-10 units. The remotes are a little bit bigger than a car keychain remote.

Kamil_k

Grip
Excellent... I did not know RS carries X10. Will pop over there this week. No Fred Meyer in my area (Atlanta).

Thank you all for the great pointers.

Kamil_k

Grip
Excellent... I did not know RS carries X10. Will pop over there this week. No Fred Meyer in my area (Atlanta).

Thank you all for the great pointers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.