1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Room size

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by davidfindlay, Aug 9, 2003.

1. davidfindlay

davidfindlay Auditioning

My room is about 3x3 metres. Am I likely to be able to get good surround sound in such a small space?

Also, is there a gallery of completed theatres here that I could drool at? :) Thanks,

David

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

The room is fairly small, but you should be able to get good sound with the right equipment/speakers. You should also invest in an SPL meter to properly setup and calibrate your system.

Here's a link for the Home Theater pics/websites.:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/page3.html

3. Terry Montlick

Terry Montlick Stunt Coordinator

Hi David,

In this modest a space, the need for sufficient acoustical absorption is pretty critical. Ever sing in the bathroom? The reverb makes your voice sound good, but will have the opposite effect for the accuracy of your home theater. On the plus side, you don't have that big an area to treat.

Also, too square a room can be a problem for low frequency room modes. Here's a simple room calculator that will check for likely problematic dimensions:

http://www.componentacoustics.com

Click on "New! Room Dimensions Calculator"

Regards,
    Terry

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I sometimes enjoy my bedroom system more than my main system. Of course, speaker placement and proper calibration with an SPL meter, as suggested, are critical.

But here's something that simply doesn't get mentioned often among a crowd that lusts after "reference level" playback: If you position yourself precisely in the "sweet spot" of a basic 5.1-channel system, it is truly amazing how rich and full-bodied the sound is at low dB levels.

Further, the dialogue is well-articulated in such a scenario.

So, while you have to select the correct equipment and calibrate it carefully, you're in store for some satisfying home theater

5. scott>sau

scott>sau Stunt Coordinator