What's new

Room Acoustic's (2 Viewers)

Blackdevil77

Agent
Real Name
Mario
The room I currently have my home theater system in completely and utterly sucks as far as acoustics go. There are so many dead spots and hot spots it's ridiculous. With the layout of the room, it's nearly impossible to find a good location for the entire system. One wall has a door right smack in the middle of it, the other wall has a window right in the middle of it, one wall is completely useless as it has two massive closet doors taking up the entire wall, and the fourth wall also has a window off to one side. So basically, there isn't a free wall in the whole damn room. That's in addition to the room sucking acoustically. If you so much as lean your head to the side to scratch it, everything sounds completely different. I have an SPL meter I just experimented with, walking around the room taking the average SPL's and peak SPL's around the room. Your ears can hear an obvious difference and you walk through the room, which is 14 by 16 feet with 8 foot ceilings, and the meter picked up some ridiculous hot spots and dead zones. Some spots had an average SPL of about 90 with peaks around 98, while other spots, maybe a foot or 2 from that spot would have averages around 103-104 with peaks around 113-114!!!! Then you move another foot, and your in another dead zone. And that's just the SPL at unknown frequencies. These spots also made huge, noticeable changes in perceived loudness of certain frequencies with some spots where you would hear very harsh high's with that ear piercing shrill, and others where certain bass frequencies would vibrate your soul, while in other spots you couldn't even hear these frequencies, but instead you'd hear other frequencies you couldn't hear in the spot 2 feet away where you heard and felt those bone crushing frequencies. I've experimented with placement so many times, I lost count. This room just sucks. Basically what I'm asking, is there any hope for this room acoustically? Can anything be done aside from redesigning the room or should I just ditch this room completely?

Norm Varney

Auditioning
Real Name
Norman Varney
This does sound like a difficult room. It's hard to answer your question without knowing your goals, budget, equipment, etc. The room can be optimized to your particular constrains, but will that be enough to satisfy your expectations? Is there another room to consider?

Blackdevil77

Agent
Real Name
Mario
This room certainly sucks lol. My equipment is a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7 v3's, paradigm CC-370 v3, with ADP-370 v3 surrounds, PW2200 v2 subwoofer, and a Marantz SR 7500 receiver. I'm not too worried about this room anymore since I'm gonna be building a theater room in my basement hopefully soon. If for some reason these plans fall through, I'll need to do something.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks