What's new

Ron...please help: re PARAMOUNT (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
aren't these studios primarily concerned with making money? Why cater to people who are NOT your customers?
I'm playing devil's advocate here, but R-rated cuts have a better chance of being stocked at places like Blockbuster or Wal-Mart. While it is not always the case, unrated or NC-17 material may not be stocked by these outlets. Getting distribution through these major chains could make a cult film with marginal profit potential much more successful than it would otherwise be by reaching well beyond the hardcore fan base (even if the people who buy it care less about the level of gore than the people selling it - [sigh]).

I honestly hope that this is Paramount's reasoning moreso than a general policy to not distribute unrated or NC-17 material as seems to be the case with Warner. This would at least leave a sliver of daylight for uncut SEs in the future - particularly if the cut releases prove to be popular.

Regards,

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

I thought that's what we F13 fans were doing! Paramount owns the movies, and they have every right to release them as they see fit. But I want that extra gore! If that makes me a weirdo, so be it.

Personally, I'd LOVE to own an uncut box set (or at the very least Parts 1-4), but it doesn't seem real likely. Despite the fact that the F13 films kept Paramount fed in the early 80's, they don't seem too interested in touting these titles as Paramount Classics. Current political climate and all, I suppose.

As it stands, I currently own the original Friday (and plan to purchase the current version of Part 2). If and when the sequels are released with their excised footage included (either as deleted scenes or part of a 'directors cut'), I'll fork over the green.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I checked the IMDB regarding the cut versions of these films, and for the most part they just indicated trims to violence (comparing My Bloody Valentine to the european cut of that film). But it was intmated earlier that there were substantial cuts made prior to any battles with the film board. Does anyone know what they were?

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
Actually Ken and Ron, the quote I was referring to was later in the thread from March 5, 2002:
This is why I made my statement about being disappointed over Four Flies being overlooked.

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
Uh.. hello. I'd like a response to the above post please.

I'm EVERYONE and I'm still not happy, Ron.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Terry-

Let's quit beating this horse. My guess is that Ron was trying to share some future good news with horror fans. You found the news disappointing. Let's move on.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I'm EVERYONE and I'm still not happy, Ron.
Yeah, he really meant to guarantee that every single person in the universe would be pleased by the disc annoucements. :rolleyes
Why be so antagonistic to someone who's done nothing but provide a great service to every HTFer everyday?
DJ

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
The bottom line is that Ron's comment was an overstatement and his non-responsivness here is again disappointing. Moving on.

Will K

Screenwriter
The bottom line is that Ron's comment was an overstatement and his non-responsivness here is again disappointing. Moving on.
I hardly think Ron has been non-responsive. Besides, does it really matter anyway? Paramount has announced their slate and it is what it is. Personally, I'm happy with the selection of titles they're offering, just a bit disappointed in their presentation.

I'm looking forward to Four Flies as well, but as we all know, as with any studio, we'll get it when we get it. Perhaps it takes some time to track down good source elements. Because Martin Blythe has strongly hinted at future, alternate versions of the titles in question, I'm starting to feel a little better about Paramount.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Actually I have been fairly pleased about Ron having talked about this were he has. What does bother me is how Martin keeps clear of any post regarding this series, yet, he is the one that reaps the most from us buying these disc. I do expect more from a customer liason then just being responsive on mainstream titles.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Maybe Martin is off somewhere talking to people who aren't calling he or Paramount lazy and disrespectful or aren't spending large chunks of a thread requesting "kneel before Zod" apologies for overstatement from forum owners when they graciously dropped hints that Paramount had a significant number of horror films on the slate this fall.
I again think people are taking this way too personally. Martin has not posted anything on the HTF in over two weeks, and yet his lack of response on this specific three-day-old thread is read as "just being responsive on mainstream titles." I'm glad Martin himself is not so sensitive. He and Peter Staddon are two of the "good actors" as far as interfacing with fans online, and their reward is...?
Anyway, here's Martin's post from last December:
The plan with Friday the 13th is still to finish them as they were released theatrically and then revisit. I know people get impatient.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Ken...I personally feel that you are proving your point and just having simply come out and said that you don't give a damn if these titles are done the way that we want them. I am not going to stick up for someone that I don't know and who in the past has been rude to the people that have asked him about these titles or titles that he said that he simply didn't have the time to investigate.

Last year in regard to the cover art job on 5 and 6 he said that he understood the fans displeasure and that he would present that to Paramount. How do we know he did? How do we know that he didn't? I know one to tell that nothing was brought up...the covers on the new ones.

Maybe it is the simple fact that yes, I understand that they have policies in regard to unrated releases. What, next year it will suddenly be different? Again, give out the titles for a period of time to someone with enough gall to do them the way that the people that want to buy them will buy them.

I do hope that a title or series that you dearly love is one day messed with to the point to wear you feel like you have been used for supporting it all this time. You are right, it is personal. As much as what I love the movie Grease and as much as I look forward to it sitting on my shelf, I do hope that the cover art is so horrid that maybe people will get out point. I do also hope that the movie is so bare bones, the the DVD looks even tighter than Olivia's pants at the end.

You said in one post that Paramount has yet to release unrated titles of a lot of films. Why not let Friday 7 be the first to simply prove the difference between censorship and the artist true film. It has to start somewhere, and this would have been a perfect start.

I mean no disrespect in this post to the fine folks that run this site and I thank you both Ron and Robert for your imput on this matter. You have done what you can. It is simply very frustating to have to battle this ever year. If you note, from the post in the past, there hasn't been the round of support on these post as in the past. I really think that it is because of the past belittling to the people that wanted them.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Ron...can we kill this thread being the fact that those that are interested in the series have made their point, and those that aren't are being rather...unsupportive as a nice way to put it?

Sorry about all this.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
You said in one post that Paramount has yet to release unrated titles of a lot of films.
Who said? I said Warner has this policy and that I hoped that Paramount did not. (addendum: Oh wait I see. In the earlier post where I mentioned "a number of titles", I was referring to the ones we are discussing here (Friday and MBV). I was not aware of any others)
Regards,

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Damin...we have been doing this for twenty years. So to say not patient enough is not the answer.

If there was the promise that they were going to be revisited in the forms that we have asked for, then it would be different. Right now, as it stands, the statements have been made to the point of 'we may revisit.'

Something concret would end the whole thing and the pestering.

As far as fighting this every year, it will continue till we get what we want and what we have been asking for.

Again...making the statement that it will happen and not might happen is the solution to the problem.

Enough...I am out...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks