What's new

Ron Howard's Cotton Candy? (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
A quick perusal of his IMDb filmography shows that most of Ron Howard's directoral efforts are available on DVD, but not this one. I guess it's not a big surprise--it's not exactly a classic or even a well-known film--but it has a lot of sentimental value for Dallasites. Do you think there's any chance it'll ever see the light of day on DVD, or is there any truth to the rumor that Howard wants it buried in the vault? Since Grand Theft Auto is on DVD, I would suspect that is not true.

I found this film on VHS recently, and it's still a fun little film. Like I said, it's no classic, but it's enjoyable. Plus, it's a fairly rare example of Charles Martin Smith in a leading role. I just wish it were on DVD, because the tape I bought is in terrible condition.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Yeah, being an alum of Lake Highlands High School myself I'd definitely like to see it. Who knows? Maybe it'll eventually find its way to DVD....

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That's cool. I had an idea that Lake Highlands could get the rights to press a number of copies for a fundraiser, but I doubt if the controlling studio--I read it was Disney last night, but I don't know--would allow it. It'd probably cost more than could be raised. Anyway, I don't know if it's from watching Cotton Candy as a kid, but I always kind of wanted to go to school at Lake Highlands.

Question: I don't know how long ago you went to LH, but is it pretty much known by all the students that a movie was filmed there? I was just wondering today if the current students even know.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Maybe so. I didn't remember that it was. I guess I didn't know they would say "homo" and "nympho" on regular TV in the '70s.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I doubt it. The movie pre-dated my own time at LHHS by a good half-decade and I'm not even sure how many of my fellow classmates were aware of it. I always assumed it was common knowledge, but now I think probably not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks