What's new

Rome. Season One: *Discuss* (1 Viewer)

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
It has been reported that even though it is a 12 hour series, unlike most of the HBO series, some of the episodes run as little as forty minites. Is this because
of the arrangement with the BBC to run in selected timeslots. I know BBC is considered more Liberal then American TV but will they run it just as it was shown ON HBO or will it be cut.
Thanks
Greg

Bob_Wilson

Agent
Though the opening credits were clever, but I hope that we don't have to wade through them for every show. Acting was workman like, but not inspired IMHO. Not sure if I will be a regular or not. It all depends on the direction the show takes. If is is nothing more than a soap opera with Roman era costuming punctuated with a bit of T&A, I will not watch it. If, however, it turns out to be a good historical drama that accurately depicts history and increases both my understanding of the period and entertains me as well, I'll will watch it.

Things I liked about the first episode:
  • Costumes, sets, and makeup were exceptionally well done.

Sound was acceptable.

Opening credit very creative if a bit too long.
Things I did not like:
  • Acting was either a bit over done or tense and restrained. (Most likely due to the direction because it has a good cast.)

Story line was choppy and uneven. Perhaps the purpose of episode one was to introduce the key characters in the series and to set up the conflict axis about which the series will turn. If so, the first episode should have been fleshed out with inproved transitions. I would not have objected if it was from 30 to 60 minutes longer if made the smoother story line.

Overall impression of episode one was that I was watching a soap opera rather than a good historical movie that would give birth to sequels that will be as good or better than the original.
Please realize that the above is the highly subjective musings of one avid movie watcher. Any resemblance to the truth is purely coincidental!

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

Shouldn't come as too much of suprise since Jeff Beal is doing the music for Rome. Carnivale fans will recognize the name as the man provided the music to that stellar show (I would love a Carnivale Season 2 Soundtrack).

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I will give it a few episodes to really get rolling. I hope they really dive into the soap opera/machiavellian ways of the Romans.

Unfortunately, right now I'm getting a heavy "we're doing a sword and sandals version of Deadwood" vibe. It needs more. Hopefully, it will hit its stride soon.

I really like the kid playing Octavian. He was great in "Master and Commander", so I expect him to do well.

It is just so tough to top things like "I, Claudius" so this is a big challenge for HBO.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale

I was wondering where I had seen him before.It isn't listed on IMDB.

Yeah, I enjoyed his part. Like when he slapped the slave for bumping into him with the stool... Good stuff.

I was reading on IMDB that this was supposed to center on the two soldiers, Lucious and Titus, although I didn't really see that in the first episode. It seemed to focus more on Atia and her family.

Looking forward to next Sunday though.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
The kid playing Octavian was part of the recast/retool the show went through. HBO was not happy with the first 2 episode rushes and halted production and brought on new directors.

I have been trying to find out who the original Octavian was before the recast.

I am not surprised to hear that after the first 2 episodes, things change. I was curious just how the first 2 eps would be since they basically fired Apted and reshot some of his work without him.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I thoroughly enjoyed episode one. I also found it interesting that while the Bikini bathing suit is only 59 years old the Romans were bikini waxing 2000 years earlier. ;)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Interesting info, Justin. So, I guess I'll have to wait at least 3-4 episodes before I pass judgement. Good to know.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Yep...Romans actually waxed (and used other bizaare methods) to remove body hair. Particularly pubic.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

The ancient sources say that Gauis Julius Caesar the Dictator employed a slave whose sole job was to pluck all of his body hair. Novelist Colleen McCullough attributes this to his catching a bad case of the crabs as a young man, but I'm not sure if she had an actual source for this or this was her speculation. But dipilatories (like cosmetics and even birth control and morning-after "pills") were well-known and frequently used in the ancient world. (Link safe for work. Rest of site may not be.) There is truly nothing new under the sun.

Regards,

Joe

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I too was bugged by the feel of Rome, but I don't think it has anything to do with "shot on video." I had a bigger problem with some of the production design, use of extras, blocking and the camera composition.

The T & A added nothing to the story as far as I am concerned. The same info could have been conveyed with out the nudity.

That said I will watch a few more episodes because the show has promise and the time period and history are interesting.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I thought it was great. I love this kind of big, epic story with complicated plots and numerous characters. I guess I'm saying I like programs that make you pay attention, as opposed to the generic sitcom or drama where you already know the plot going in and have a good estimation of where it's going. I hope this series can sustain the interest it generated with this first episode.

TimJS

Second Unit
I enjoyed the 1st episode, thought the credits were a interesting/creative/and annoying. This looks like a 'tweener, half spectacle/half character drama. I almost lost the characters because I was gaping at the spectacle, one of the more interesting presentations of Warts and all Pax Romana I've seen. And as others have pointed out, I expect character arcs to emerge in a more compelling fashion as show progresses

I have just started watching I, Claudius on disc, but am going to put on hold until Thanksgiving to avoid comparing & confusing the players.

I read a review from Variety which suggests this show will be similar to The Wire (my fave) in that the audience is likely to be small but devoted and renewing the series will continue to be a 'game-time' decision. We'll see.

Tim

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i finally got around to watching it on my tivo. i guess i found it interesting enough that i'll keep watching it for now. but, unlike something like sopranos or deadwood, it certainly didn't blow me away. really, i kind of feel like i've seen this all before.

and, as already noted, it would only be fair to give it at least a few eps before making my mind. heck, it took me about 5 episodes to realize that carnivale sucked!

runs and ducks behind the corner.... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks